Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When Did You Last Visit A Zoo?

Sounds like it's all settled then. NOW.......On with life !!!

San Diego is my favorite zoo, but I have not been to a zoo in probably 6 or 7 years.
    "SEMPER FI"

I liked the zoos when I was younger and more naive. Now I would just feel sorry for the animals. I know some are there due to injury and to be kept safe but I don’t feel that animals belong in cages. That’s something humans thought would be good.

We used to go all the time when we lived in St. Louis. Then when I started teaching third grade, we went to the Waco zoo every year on a field trip. Took our grandkids there a couple years ago. Now that I think of it, I'll bet I've been to way more aquariums than zoos.

Took the grandchildren to an "Animal Park" yesterday. A small private place. I was really impressed with the place. Absolutely immaculate, animals were active looked to be in great health. The bears, both Grizzly and Black were the only animals that appeared to be showing stress. They were all pacing along a well worn path. One of the Black bears was using it same footprint over and over.

Yesterday...at the campgrounds opening for the season party.
    "I poured Spot remover on my dog. Now heís gone.

I really cannot remember when I last visited the zoo. I don't have a clear memory any more.

I haven't visited a zoo since the late 90's

The last one I visited was Frankfurt (am Main, Germany) zoo. I was disappointed by it. It's a city zoo and limited in space. They seem to have tried to cram in as many species as possible rather than concentrating on giving plenty of space to fewer animals.

I've visited zoos in many European cities, but the only one I visited ( a number of times) in the US was Minnesota zoo. I was quite impressed with it.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Back in the 80's, I remember going to Lion Country Safari in Irvine, California. It was a drive-thru thing and very interesting, but is was a requirement to keep windows rolled up.

It's been a couple of years since we went to a zoo and the last one was here in Jacksonville, FL. The company my wife worked for at the time, helped sponsor a tiger area. However, compared to the Denver, CO zoo, the one here is much, much smaller. Jacksonville one has alligators (which, being this is Florida, would be expected), whereas the Denver one has buffalo and a couple of brown bears. Actually, the brown bears were cubs, when first moved to south of Denver and with each visit, within 5 1/2 years, we watched them grow up. Denver Zoo also had two free days during the winter months and we'd go then also. Don't know how it managed to happen, but none of those "Free Days" was there any snow.

Sort of wonder which animals could be in a Florida zoo and which not, since Florida can get so humid?

It's actually better to visit a zoo in the Fall, Spring or Winter time, since most animals find shade, and aren't that active, during the summer heat.

Wife and I really love going to the zoo, but the Jacksonville Zoo sure isn't as good as the Denver, CO Zoo.
    Former Pro-Rodeo Team Roper (Header)

When it comes to entertainment value, on a scale of one to ten the best zoo on the planet would rate no better than a five for me. The San Diego Zoo is pretty good as zoos go, but it's a zoo nevertheless. I had a LA Zoo family membership and used to take the kids when they were little, but haven't been back to see the animals in at least twenty years. (I went to the LA Zoo's Christmas season nighttime light display a couple of years ago, but since the animals are not part of that event I don't count it in the same category.)

I may take grandkids when they get a bit older, but that would be for their entertainment, not mine.

The last time was a lot of years ago outside of Sydney Australia. Koalas have the softest fur I ever touched.

The last one before that was Tampa, where a chimp was mistreating a mouse. The mouse "played possum" until the chimp dropped him, then he took off at a very high speed.

There was the one in Quebec city where there was an enormous Kodiak bear surrounded by signs saying "do not feed the bear". He was sitting there rubbing his tummy wanting us to ignore the signs.

I don't know why they feel they have to capture and cage animals, that belong in the wild. For what?
    Gossip is reputation theft.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee View Post
    Maybe next time...I promise. Have a lot going now and none of it is fun. Dr visits, mammogram, etc.

Then heading back to the coast. Grandson graduating from 8th grade. It will be a big deal, he's tops in his grade. Even other grandparents are flying in for this...

Take some pictures though, I'm curious.
    Is this a dating forum?
    Gossip is reputation theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    Is this a dating forum?
    No, it's not!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.