Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Dad passed Tuesday at 102

Sorry for your loss. Pappy. You were blessed to have him for such a long time.

I'm sorry Pappy.

May he rest in peace.

My sincerest condolences Pappy.

Pappy, I am so sorry to hear this. May he rest in the peace of the honorable.

Are you doing OK?

I think your dad was on Iwo Jima, wasn't he? He led a long, good life, I am sure.

A clip from "Full Metal Jacket."

Semper Fi, fellow Marine.
    Oorah!
    "Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m."

Yes 911, dad fought in Iwo. Never talked about it much until the last few years. Some scary stories came out of there.

And everyone else...thank you so much for the kind words.
    "I poured Spot remover on my dog. Now hes gone.

Pappy, I am sorry to hear of your great loss. Walter remains a hero to many, and lived a long and fruitful life! I know how proud of him, you are. May he rest easy,now!

walter.png

Quote Originally Posted by 911 View Post
    I think your dad was on Iwo Jima, wasn't he? He led a long, good life, I am sure.

A clip from "Full Metal Jacket."

Semper Fi, fellow Marine.
    Oorah!

Hi Pappy—-I was really saddened to learn of your Dad’s passing. I remember the picture that you posted on his 100th birthday. When I was in the active Corp, I heard a lot of stories from the older vets that served in WWII, including my Dad, who was also in the Army during WWII and in the European Theater.

I appreciate the fact that your Dad was at Iwo. I watched many news clips of that battle and it was pure hell. You have a lot to be proud of for your Dad’s service. I only wished that today’s youths would take the time to learn about the sacrifices and hell that our previous dads, grandfathers and etc. went through to make sure that we are a free nation.

Memorial Day is a day of rememberance for our brave men and women that never made it back home. I attend the yearly service at the local cemetary where my Dad is buried in the Veteran’s section and help to place the flags on each grave site in that section. I place the flag in the ground, stand and salute each marker.

I loved the movie “Full Metal Jacket” even though it reminded me of the SOB that I had for my DI on the Island during basic training. The one part in the movie where this DI says, “God loves Marines.....” is the same line that my DI told us back in 1969. He also told us the part about going to Vietnam. I am a very proud Marine, even though when I came home, I wasn’t really welcomed by a lot of people my age. The older Vets were very thankful to me and a lot of them even offered me money on my way home, which I have a great story about how I got back home, but I will save that for another day. My story of coming home was even published in the local newspapers. In fact, “Readers Digest” called me and wanted to interview me, so that they could print it in one of their issues, but I refused. I just didn’t want the attention.

Sorry for the long post, but I seldom talk about my time in the Marines, but when I do, sometimes I talk too much.
    "SEMPER FI"

Sorry for your loss Pappy, my sincere condolances to you and your family.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.