Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 93

The Credit Card Rewards Game

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    bayside ,queens , ny
    Posts
    870

    Quote Originally Posted by Roadwarrior View Post
    And of course you didn't buy any useless 'stuff' to get those miles.
    why would anyone just buy useless stuff ? we charge as much of our daily living expenses as we can where there are no extra charges for using a credit card and taker advantage of point deals .

    we got 60,000 points just for taking the chase sapphire reserve card . we get a 50% boost in points when booking our trips through the chase expedia portal . we use the chase freedom card for the 5% quarterly purchases then transfer that to the reserve card for a boost to 7.50% when we travel .

    so nope no useless stuff at all and neither do most people who accumulate points . that is a ridiculous assumption and i fail to see where useless stuff even enters the equation ..

    when you see points like this raised it is usually by those who have no interest in getting free things from points so that is their rationalization for not doing it but it is not how it works . anyone who can't be responsible with credit cards can't handle them points or no points .

    it is no different than the silly reasons those who are risk adverse come up with for not investing over the long term .
    Last edited by mathjak107; 07-09-2018 at 05:09 AM.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    I budget $750 per month for possible living expenses items. Based on that if I get 1.5% for everything then I could make $11.25 or $135. My monthly fixed expenses are $240, I estimate that my monthly grocery bill/sundry items is $400, gas runs about $80 or less. Total monthly expenses = $720 could possibly bring me cash back of $10.80 x 12 = $130 annually - IS IT WORTH THE BOOK KEEPING headache? How much does one spend on clothes, entertainment & travel?

    My RV park rent is paid semi annually ($1075 for 6 months), can use a card ($16.12 cash back), add to the $130 = $146. Travel expenses is 4000 miles @ 15 MPG $930 x .02 = $18.60. ($146 + 18.60 = $165). I stand to amass a fortune of $165! My lifestyle is very minimal, I don't fly, stay in hotels, usually prepare my own meals, dining is not an event for me I eat to live - not live to eat. Can't hear so I never go to shows or concerts. My movies & reading are taken care of with my library card, all free.

    My health is good, my weight is normal, I get my exercise without a club membership. Wife gets my pension, I live very comfortable on my SS, I have medicare/with supplement, my out of pocket drug charges are less than $300 a year. I drive an old vehicle which is paid for, my tax refund covers all my annual expenses including maintenancee & insurance. A vehicle is to get you from point A to point B, if you want to go in style, go but if you don't need the BS status symbol drive an older dependable auto. I have no mortgage, or auto loan.

    Where can I make thousands without increasing my outlay? What am I missing? You need to come up with a better reason than insulting me about my risk aversion. I've played the investment game quite well, thank you! Just don't need the worry in my 'Golden Years'.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadwarrior View Post
    I budget $750 per month for possible living expenses items. Based on that if I get 1.5% for everything then I could make $11.25 or $135. My monthly fixed expenses are $240, I estimate that my monthly grocery bill/sundry items is $400, gas runs about $80 or less. Total monthly expenses = $720 could possibly bring me cash back of $10.80 x 12 = $130 annually - IS IT WORTH THE BOOK KEEPING headache? How much does one spend on clothes, entertainment & travel?

    My RV park rent is paid semi annually ($1075 for 6 months), can use a card ($16.12 cash back), add to the $130 = $146. Travel expenses is 4000 miles @ 15 MPG $930 x .02 = $18.60. ($146 + 18.60 = $165). I stand to amass a fortune of $165! My lifestyle is very minimal, I don't fly, stay in hotels, usually prepare my own meals, dining is not an event for me I eat to live - not live to eat. Can't hear so I never go to shows or concerts. My movies & reading are taken care of with my library card, all free.

    My health is good, my weight is normal, I get my exercise without a club membership. Wife gets my pension, I live very comfortable on my SS, I have medicare/with supplement, my out of pocket drug charges are less than $300 a year. I drive an old vehicle which is paid for, my tax refund covers all my annual expenses including maintenancee & insurance. A vehicle is to get you from point A to point B, if you want to go in style, go but if you don't need the BS status symbol drive an older dependable auto. I have no mortgage, or auto loan.

    Where can I make thousands without increasing my outlay? What am I missing? You need to come up with a better reason than insulting me about my risk aversion. I've played the investment game quite well, thank you! Just don't need the worry in my 'Golden Years'.
    I understand completely. The CC game isn't for everyone. I don't think we spend enough, either, to amass a fortune when it comes right down to it, but I'm giving it a shot for the rest of the year and we'll see if it amounts to anything. What I was attracted to was the cash I do accumulate from using my CC will be put right back into our savings account with Ally. That extra $$$ is additional to what our saving is making right now at 1.65%. Anything extra, in my book, is a good thing. I guess I look at it that that extra $200 you could be making a year could go for rent space, groceries, gas...whatever. That's just me, though

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    bayside ,queens , ny
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadwarrior View Post
    And of course you didn't buy any useless 'stuff' to get those miles.
    we spend over 10k a month so it is well worth it to us . when you live on so little , like 750 a month there is little you can really do . for the most part these posts are for those it applies to .

    i could never understand why people choose to post in threads that do not apply to them just to say it does not apply to them. but your post about how much useless stuff did i have to buy is still nonsense

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    I started this thread! I admitted then I was getting into the game, now AW I'm not seeing all the advantages & money making opportunities that everyone else claims they receive, so I became dis-enchanted with the game.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    bayside ,queens , ny
    Posts
    870
    all well and good , but making silly assumptions that those who do it are buying useless stuff is just nonsense . our rewards from just october have now surpassed 1800 in travel dollars ,plus the card paid the fee for my tsa precheck , provided travel insurance so we did not have to buy it and got us privy deals to events here .

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post

    I understand completely. The CC game isn't for everyone. I don't think we spend enough, either, to amass a fortune when it comes right down to it, but I'm giving it a shot for the rest of the year and we'll see if it amounts to anything. What I was attracted to was the cash I do accumulate from using my CC will be put right back into our savings account with Ally. That extra $$$ is additional to what our saving is making right now at 1.65%. Anything extra, in my book, is a good thing. I guess I look at it that that extra $200 you could be making a year could go for rent space, groceries, gas...whatever. That's just me, though

    You are wise and disciplined. You will be pleased with the result..

    When one puts at least part of what he normally would spend each month [utilities, cable TV, internet, phone, groceries, gas, car maintenance, restaurants, department stores, repairmen, etc] on a cash rewards cc and pay off the cc every month, it's free money, no effort.

    Btw... last time I had professional plumbing services, he told me they can not take cash. Which was fine with me, because with my rewards cc, I get 1 1/2 percent cash back.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadwarrior View Post

    I estimate that my monthly grocery bill/sundry items is $400, gas runs about $80 or less. Total monthly expenses = $720 could possibly bring me cash back of $10.80 x 12 = $130 annually - IS IT WORTH THE BOOK KEEPING headache?

    No bookkeeping effort required. The cc company does the bookkeeping and your reward points are on your monthly cc statement.

    Since I have no debt, my monthly expenses are low too. But I put every payment possible on my rewards cc. I don't know about you, but getting a free $130 a year is certainly worth it for me.

    My cash rewards cc gives 1 1/2 cash back. $720 would be almost $11. I would call the cc toll free number and spend a minute on the automated line and either get a check for $11 or have that $11 credited to my cc account [I elect to do this every month] or you can elect to have the points accumulate and redeem them whenever you wish... easy peasy.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    I keep forgeting, you can be anybody you want to be.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadwarrior View Post

    I keep forgeting, you can be anybody you want to be.

    I'm not sure exactly what that means relative to this topic... or if your comment was directed at me.

    But I will say this, one of the main reasons I was able to retire at age 55 is because I am frugal by nature, always lived below my means and saved money. I am a firm believer in the wise old truism... "watch your pennies and your dollars will fall in line." I wouldn't purposefully leave such easy no-strings-attached money [like cc cash rewards] on the table... and can't imagine anyone like me doing it either.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    bayside ,queens , ny
    Posts
    870
    a penny saved may be a penny earned but without learning to compound those pennies they will always stay pennies ., actually less after inflation and taxes . so good investing along with good savings technique are what does the trick for most of us.

    what bookkeeping is needed for rewards points ? that is just more nonsense .

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    the Thumb
    Posts
    761
    We live on small pension and SS, we live ok…long before I retiredwe used our credit card to pay for things we need, (food, gas, ect) and monthly bills, (electric,phone, internet, etc.) we have always paid the card off at the end of themonth. I looked back and we have been doing this for over 20 years, it is acash back card. On average 300 dollars a year cash back, that is over 6 grand. Wehave always said the first time we pay interest we stop. Never have and neverplan too.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post

    We live on small pension and SS, we live ok…long before I retired we used our credit card to pay for things we need, (food, gas, ect) and monthly bills, (electric, phone, internet, etc.) we have always paid the card off at the end of the month. I looked back and we have been doing this for over 20 years, it is a cash back card. On average 300 dollars a year cash back, that is over 6 grand. We have always said the first time we pay interest we stop. Never have and never plan too.


    This is the smart way to handle a cash rewards cc.

    .

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    bayside ,queens , ny
    Posts
    870
    what is nice is chase has different cards that highlight different purchases every quarter . the freedom card gives you 5% back on the monthly categories. last quarter it was groceries . we average about 150-180 a week so we got 5% back which then transfer to the chase sapphire reserve card for a 50% boost when used for travel through the chase expedia portal.

    we do a lot of traveling and love it so we end up with 7.50% back on groceries . the sapphire gives us 3% back when eating out and for everything travel related so that ends up being multiplied by 50% too .

    since we got the 3 chase cards and use the best one for what we buy it has been raining money via the points . we are using them for a free trip to NEW Orleans and includes airfare for 2 from ny and a very nice hotel for a week and we still have points left

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    947
    Credit Card Game?


    Using cash = nothing back
    Using a cash back cc = something.


    Not all that hard to figure out which is better. Of course paying the card in full each month is the way to use a credit card.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. A credit card dilemma,what is your take on this?
    By Ruth n Jersey in forum Financial
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-23-2017, 08:49 PM
  2. Amazon checkout - Rewards card
    By NancyNGA in forum Computers & Phones
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM
  3. Credit card charge
    By QuickSilver in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-15-2015, 01:15 PM
  4. Credit/Debit card
    By Davey Jones in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 04:32 PM
  5. Credit card rewards/cash back programs
    By Son_of_Perdition in forum Financial
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum