Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Short Tempered Daughter

I've written back to others, I'm NOT afraid of her, she just doesn't want to hear what I have to say.

This rarely happens, shes a very independent woman who feels she knows everything. Other parents say the same about their kids, that's the way kids are these days. She's anxious to move out. I'm just going too let her figure things out for herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Patnono View Post
    I've written back to others, I'm NOT afraid of her, she just doesn't want to hear what I have to say.
    This rarely happens, shes a very independent woman who feels she knows everything. Other parents say the same about their kids, that's the way kids are these days. She's anxious to move out. I'm just going too let her figure things out for herself.
    Oops, I misunderstood - sorry!
    Drama-free

That's, ok. I only said she had a short temper not that she was going to hurt me. She's just like a lot of young adults who think they know everything? And wants us parents to stay out of their business, which is what I usually do. Thanks for writing.

My parents tried to tell me how to run my life, I now know they meant well and could see with the wiseness of age that I was about to make mistakes and they wanted to prevent me from getting hurt. I refused their advice and their advice made me even more resolute to do it my way. I did with my child the same thing and she reacted the same way I did. They say the best teacher is experience. I'd say tell her ONCE only and then drop it. You relieve yourself of the guilt of not warning her and also allow her to make the mistakes she will make anyway in spite or because of you. She's in her 30's, no longer a child, she has the right to make her own decisions, right or wrong. And she'll be on her own ''soon'', be glad when she moves out and enjoy your privacy.

Thank you, your right ☺️ my parents told me absolutely nothing, I just didn't want to be that kind of parent. If she didn't live with me it would be easier, hard to turn off the parent switch. I call it a Life Sentence ��

Patanono you said "I'm just trying to give her useful information. I'm a parent who's if a trains coming, I'm going to tell you a trains coming? What's WRONG with that?" Maybe you will have to just let her learn the hard way. I tell that to my husband when he keeps telling one of our grandchildren things about how and when to check the oil in their car and lots of other things. Its obvious the young man (he's 24) doesn't want any advise. I tell my husband that this is a learning time and if the kid ruins the motor in his vehicle, let him deal with it. Let him be without a car for several months till he can get another one. If they don't want to listen, no matter how much it hurts us, we might have to let the train hit them. I know it hurts.

patnono i know where you are coming from-- you make suggestions to them and they say -i know what i am doing-o well what the hell

Quote Originally Posted by Patnono View Post
    She's an adult, she is moving sometime this year? She just got her bachelor's degree. She'll be able too. Thanks
    If she is an adult and just got her bachelor's degree, I think it is time for you to "let go". Let her make her own mistakes. At this age, you can't bully them or constantly try to tell her what to do. She will resent you for it.

Let her go, enjoy her company. Treat her as an adult and trust her to make the right decisions on her own. Give her space and don't nag.

That is just my advice, since you asked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.