Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Was it really necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Deucemoi View Post
    I can't edit my post. Why is that?
    There is a time limit on editing posts.

Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    A number of those on the German A bomb team came to the US and helped our scientist to be among the first to create the usable bombs.
    Not to mention getting us into space , and on the moon.?.....Wernher von Braun comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorbulite View Post
    Reckon the men, women and children of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would say that the U.S. already had "usable bombs" (if they hadn't been turned into crispy-critters).
    But you're right, many German war criminals of the very worst kind were given 'sanctuary' in the Grand Ole USA to work on all manner of projects.
    "By their friends shall ye know them ............

Not sure about the intent of this note. As I understood it there was sympathy for those scientist that were working in Germany as instructed to avoid execution. After the war was over not all came to the US as some were able to work for Russia, France, England, or elsewhere.

There were many real nasty folks in Germany, but doubtful if scientist, more likely political.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorbulite View Post
    Reckon the men, women and children of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would say that the U.S. already had "usable bombs" (if they hadn't been turned into crispy-critters).
    But you're right, many German war criminals of the very worst kind were given 'sanctuary' in the Grand Ole USA to work on all manner of projects.
    "By their friends shall ye know them ............

Not many German leader, good or bad, were brought into the US as the war closed. Those couple of bombs used in Japan were used to hurry the surrender of Japan. Japan was no stranger to using hate and discomfort to it's enemies.

Interesting too that both Germany and Japan have both become well behaved in general since WWII ended. We had many of both cultures living in the US before WWII began. I don't think the US hated either culter in the past or in the future.

all the replies to my original post are off the subject. yall didnt get the point and i would just as soon delete the whole damn thing. at my age of 70 i am quite often puzzled as to how people can get along when they don't comprehend what they read.... the point of my post was not communism or russia or little men from planet green....the point was: was the normandy invasion necessary... of all the posted replies none were an accurate response and all went off subject....

Quote Originally Posted by Deucemoi View Post
    all the replies to my original post are off the subject. yall didnt get the point and i would just as soon delete the whole damn thing. at my age of 70 i am quite often puzzled as to how people can get along when they don't comprehend what they read.... the point of my post was not communism or russia or little men from planet green....the point was: was the normandy invasion necessary... of all the posted replies none were an accurate response and all went off subject....
    Even knowing what your point was I find it hard to read that long and wordy post and really find your point. We had allied troops landing and facing opposition on more than one location. Sicily or Italy for example, and others too. All devised as ways to distract the enemy from our big effort into France. Even Areas of Africa saw special actions, for purposes and diversions.

I am glad there are still people around that still remember WWII.

If I wanted to read a book, i'd go to the library. Too wordy for a internet board.
    We are either growing or dying.

So many 'what ifs'. It,s all very well being wise after the event but look at this from a Londoner,s point of view. Hitler had weapons of mass destruction that he was pouring on London. Weapons like the V1 and V2. that were almost impossible to stop. He had radio guided bombs and was using jet and rocket propelled missiles long before the Allies had them. With this in view something had to be done quickly to stop him destroying our country. Thus operation Overlord.
    If we had not carried out this operation who is to say that Russia would not have overrun the whole of Europe.
    The truth is Hitler was defeated, Russia did not conquer the rest of Europe and now we are living in comparative peace. End of!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    If I wanted to read a book, i'd go to the library. Too wordy for a internet board.
    yup

tedious

my screen shuts down when I get into it
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Was the Normandy invasion necessary? In my opinion yes, if you look at it from the point of view that history determines our lives today. It's too late to go back. If we've learned something then that is more about determining our future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post

I'm not a fan of meaningless, revisionist, "if dog, rabbit" history.

I have my own unusual theory [just a theory, no proof] I bet you've never heard this one.

The real Hitler died in the July 20, 1944 assassination/coup bombing, it was covered up
    and a look-a-like was used thereafter. At any rate, the Normandy invasion in June and
    the assassination "attempt" a month later was the beginning of the end of Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post

Was the Normandy invasion necessary? In my opinion yes, if you look at it from the point of view that history determines our lives today. It's too late to go back. If we've learned something then that is more about determining our future.

Very insightful.

To quote Alexander Pope ["An Essay on Man"]

All nature is but art, unknown to thee;
    All chance, direction, which thou canst not see;
    All discord, harmony, not understood;
    All partial evil, universal good:
    And, spite of pride, in erring reason's spite,
    One truth is clear, Whatever is, is right.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...-man-epistle-i

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.