Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Anthony Bourdain is no longer with us.

Right now is the first time I've watched Anthony Bourdain.

I'm watching back to back segments on the Travel Channel of Anthony Bourdain in a show called "No Reservations". It's not about food really. Location is Washington DC. Started out with MLK 1968 and the struggles of racism...then stopped in for a hot dog (that was the food part I guess). Later stopped by a burger joint.

Now he's learning all the tricks to become a spy (not for real of course)...starts at the 10 minute mark in the video below.

At the 15 minute mark on the video, Peter Ernest tells him that DC is crawling with spies and then said something eerily prophetic. Bourdain asked, regarding being a spy, "What's in it for me?" Ernest said to him, "You become popular with a certain group of people and wake up with a sense of accomplishment. If you don't have any reason to wake up in the morning then you might as well end it all." Bourdain just looked away, said "wow" with a nondescript look. Next he learns how to do a "Dead Drop" (a method of espionage)

Here's a video of what I just watched on the Travel Channel at 10pm tonight.
    The 1st minute shows bloopers so you may want to pass by that.

Last edited by Lara; 06-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    "Nothing is so Kingly as Kindness, and nothing so Royal as Truth"

He had quite the head of hair didn’t he?

The variety of sushi looks good. Especially the roe eggs sushi. I really love that one.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

The one with all the long hair looks like one of my prom dates. We are or were the same age BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Some political posts have been removed. Please stay on topic.

Reminder to new members: no politics on this board.
    You're the boss. I'll try. Although, I fear my days here might be numbered.
    Many folk like to engage in 'meaty' subjects occasionally. It's entirely your call to exclude all such people of course.

May I respectfully suggest that 'politics' might sometimes be a tad hard to define because there is a political component in so many subjects.
    Prisons, Memorial Day, the Cost of Gas (petrol), Medicare, Zoos, the Weather (climate change) ........ ?
    Jeeez, we'll have to be so guarded in what we say in case it is interpreted as 'political' ?

Presumably 'sex'and 'religion' are deemed equally dangerous ?

Hmmmmmm - not much left that is worth talking about at any length really (in my ever humble opinion).

Hmmmmmm - not much left that is worth talking about at any length really (in my ever humble opinion).
    You just have the wrong hormones.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

Hi new member with ozzie politics - I'd only been watching bourdain for this year on our channels. I've been in mental health work; counsellng ; addiction couselling etc for most of my adult life - here's my take - I just liked this guy and would have loved to hang out with him not because he was nice but because he was at times brutally honest - he would call it for what it was but then again knew how to refrain and be polite - he could be a conundrum!

there are opposing views of suicide attempts and successes! - they have been mentioned here. 1. it is a selfish act and punishes those left behind 2. it is an act of sheer desperation - uncontrollable. I have a mate who has been to that point who also worked in mental health [yes we are never immune!] - he described to me once that feeling of desperation and 'uncontrollability.' take ya pick?

for me bourdain was entertaining - took me to parts of the globe I may never get to and was in fact a great chef as his curriculum vitae attests.

I feel desperately sorry for his daughter and yes can feel the 'selfishness' BUT also perhaps the isolation ; loneliness ; despair and desperation he must have had in his last moments. And I feel cheated out of a very human and entertaining character who had many years left to live and entertain!

RIP anthony - I yest lurved ya man!

Nicely said, Gumbud.

Andrew Zimmern has the same sort of show as Anthony did but I've always liked Anthony better.......mama on the other hand likes Andrew better.

Andrew-Zimmern-Interview.jpg

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.