Changing your lifestyle for brain health

Changing your lifestyle for brain health

More and more research is suggesting that lifestyle is very important to your brain's health," says Dr Paul Nussbaum, a neuropsychologist and an adjunct associate professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine "If you want to live a long, healthy life, then many of us need to start as early as we can. So what can you do to beef up your brain and possibly ward off dementia?

Dr Nussbaum, who recently gave a speech on the topic for the Winter Park (Fla.) Health Foundation, offers these tips that may help.

When I read these tips I checked up on what I was doing and, by golly, I thought I'd let you great folks know!! Yep...So, here they are:

1. Join clubs or organizations that need volunteers. If you start volunteering now, you won't feel lost and unneeded after you retire.-

- Did just that! Joined Kiwanis and Had to attend meetings every Thursday. Had to listen to people prattle on about finances, projects, other meetings and did I mention finances? Had to volunteer, too. Doing things like highway cleanups, selling raffle tickets and donating MY money and time BUYING the raffle tickets from myself 'cause I feel strange asking people to buy my tickets. Sue bought four books.... Oh, yea, the highway cleanup included removing dead animals.....

2. Develop a hobby or two. Hobbies help you develop a robust brain because you're trying something new and complex.
    -Did just that! First I took up cooking. That lasted about three times in the Kitchen because, due to the mess created during the creation of meals, the accident with the can opener and the visit to emergency for stitches, the smoke from burning items and the fire alarm going off, Sue banned me from the kitchen.

So, after giving this hobby idea another thought, or two, I decided that I would change all our light fixtures. Not exactly a hobby but it was something I had been putting off for two years. There was one small detail that one must remember to do BEFORE touching the wiring. Turn off the electricity. After that shocking turn of events, Sue banned me from touching anything that involved cooking, electricity and running water.

She suggested teaching our parrot how to sing.

3. Practice writing with your non-dominant hand several minutes every day. This will exercise the opposite side of your brain and fire up those neurons.-

Being left handed I grabbed a pen with my right hand and decided that this was something that seemed to be accident free. I sat there with pen in right hand, staring at the paper and realized that, due to using a computer for so long, I had forgotten what it was to like to write. Particularly with the wrong hand. AND, what would I do without spellcheck.

I decided to forgo this exercise and, instead, went into the kitchen to get a glass of milk and some Oreo cookies.

4.DANCING. In a study of nearly 500 people, dancing was the only regular physical activity associated with a significant decrease in the incidence of dementia, including Alzheimer's disease. The people who danced three or four times a week showed 76% less incidence of dementia than those who danced only once a week or not at all.-

I do not dance, do not ask me. Well, let me put it this way. When we go on vacation and the need arises when I HAVE to dance, I will. One thing I do not understand is why, when Sue and I dance, she always wears workman boots.

5. Buy a pedometer and walk 10,000 steps a day. Walking daily can reduce the risk of dementia because cardio vascular health is important to maintain blood flow to the brain.

I Actually tried this. Ended up in the next town. Had to wait until the next day to walk home in order to only walk the prescribed amount. Hard to explain this to Sue...…

6. Read and write daily. Reading stimulates a wide variety of brain areas that process and store information. Likewise, writing (not copying) stimulates many areas of the brain as well.

So, I read the newspaper every day and spend the rest of the each day complaining to Sue what a wacked out world we live in. She eventually cut me off from reading newspapers due to my constant complaining....Her words....and I am now restricted to reading comic books.

I can't understand why Popeye likes spinach so much. I don't like it so I can't understand why he likes it so much. Think I'll ask Sue......Then again...…

7. Start knitting. Using both hands works both sides of your brain. And it's a stress reducer...

Brought this idea to Sue. After she stopped laughing she reminded me that knitting involved knitting needles, which, in the wrong hands can be dangerous...please see kitchen hobby... and being able to count stitches...please see kitchen hobby....

8. Learn a new language. Whether it's a foreign language or sign language, you are working your brain by making it go back and forth between one language and the other. A researcher in England found that being bilingual seemed to delay symptoms of Alzheimer's disease for four years. (And some research suggests that the earlier a child learns sign language, the higher his IQ - and people with high IQs are less likely to have dementia. So start them early.)

Now this is something I have tried. Actually, I can converse somewhat in Mandarin. On a trip to Taiwan I told Sue to let me use my language skills in a restaurant to order our dinner. I, unfortunately, made a small mistake in my order. Instead of sweet and sour pork I ended up with cow stomach. Not even close and I also, apparently, told the waiter to get a haircut and have a bath.

Needless to say my language usage is confined to home.

9. Learn a musical instrument. It may be harder than it was when you were a kid, but you'll be developing a dormant part of your brain.

Learned how to play the guitar. I wanted to play drums but Sue decided that wasnt a good idea.

10. Learn to meditate. It's important for your brain that you learn to shut out the stresses of everyday life.

This is a good one. Sue really believes in this and does it a couple of times a day. She wanted me to try it with her one morning so, trying to stop her from asking me to do this every morning, I gave it a shot. I sat in the lotus position and fell asleep, fell over and hit my head on the table, on which was a vase of flowers...with water.....which tipped over onto...Yep...Sue...…

I now meditate alone in the middle of the basement.

11. Get enough sleep. Studies have shown a link between interrupted sleep and dementia.

Try meditation...…

12. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants in fruits and vegetables mop up some of the damage caused by free radicals, one of the leading killers of brains.

Well, I like peanut butter.

8. Learn a new language. Whether it's a foreign language or sign language, you are working your brain by making it go back and forth between one language and the other. A researcher in England found that being bilingual seemed to delay symptoms of Alzheimer's disease for four years. (And some research suggests that the earlier a child learns sign language, the higher his IQ - and people with high IQs are less likely to have dementia. So start them early.)

Now this is something I have tried. Actually, I can converse somewhat in Mandarin. On a trip to Taiwan I told Sue to let me use my language skills in a restaurant to order our dinner. I, unfortunately, made a small mistake in my order. Instead of sweet and sour pork I ended up with cow stomach. Not even close and I also, apparently, told the waiter to get a haircut and have a bath.

I have done this

tricky language
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.