Any Stories on Celebrex Usage?

Any Stories on Celebrex Usage?

I've thought of it off and on but never went on it, for a couple reasons, the cost and the potential side effects from the drug prescribed for Arthritis.

Anyone any experience with it.

My husband used it and had all kinds of problems with it and quit taking it. I sure won't ever use it. I thought I read they had taken it off the market, but maybe that was bextra, a similar drug made by the same company. I have read that the celebrex substantially increases heart attack and stroke risk and even though I have significant arthritis pain, I just don't see any sensible reason to trade arthritis pain for a heart attack or, God forbid, a stroke.

He had GI issues with it, and just all kinds of what he described as "weird scary feelings" (physical sensations).

My "gut" told me not to pursue it...it's sister drug was Vioxx that was taken off the market not long after it appeared on the market. Thanks for the comments.

If you are considering this drug, do some reading here, you could change your mind.

https://www.askapatient.com/viewrati...&name=CELEBREX

Arthritis is pretty common as we age. I have a bit of that in my left hip/leg...with perhaps a little sciatica...but, I have Never given any serious consideration to taking a prescription drug whose side effects might well be worse than the original condition. I keep a small bottle of generic Aleve...naproxen sodium...in the cabinet, and take one perhaps once a week...if I've been doing any excess work. Also, I keep some good old fashioned Ben Gay around, and between the two, that suffices. Personally, I think our people are being Waaaay Over prescribed on drugs....but then, I guess someone has to pay the billions of dollars for these endless Ask Your Doctor ads on TV.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    Arthritis is pretty common as we age. I have a bit of that in my left hip/leg...with perhaps a little sciatica...but, I have Never given any serious consideration to taking a prescription drug whose side effects might well be worse than the original condition. I keep a small bottle of generic Aleve...naproxen sodium...in the cabinet, and take one perhaps once a week...if I've been doing any excess work. Also, I keep some good old fashioned Ben Gay around, and between the two, that suffices. Personally, I think our people are being Waaaay Over prescribed on drugs....but then, I guess someone has to pay the billions of dollars for these endless Ask Your Doctor ads on TV.
    You are fortunate to get away with so little otc pain med...my downfall and I've had OA for decades and worse since hip replacement in 2010. The surgeries cause OA to set in immediately as one MD I hear weekly says.

The replacements change the whole body structure. grrrrrrrrr

I like Ultra Tiger Balm and Topricin pain lotion. It's a homeopathic.

Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    My "gut" told me not to pursue it...it's sister drug was Vioxx that was taken off the market not long after it appeared on the market. Thanks for the comments.
    My gp prescribed this along with Tramacet after a serious traffic accident which involved a transport truck crashing into me at 100 km an hour and it tore my guts apart. Iíd never consider using it ever again and stopped listening to my doctor after this.
    He didnít seem to care about the side effects. He had another prescription for the pain from the pills.
    How ridiculous is that?

Ill stick to cannabis.

my downfall and I've had OA for decades and worse since hip replacement in 2010. The surgeries cause OA to set in immediately as one MD I hear weekly says. The replacements change the whole body structure. grrrrrrrrr.
    Yup, when the doctor first diagnosed me with arthritis, the first thing out of his mouth was to ask if I wanted a referral to a hip surgeon...No Thanks. Some people do just fine after surgery, but the odds are just as great that they will have even worse and ongoing issues, after such a surgery. I try to avoid anything that would require surgery, or a dependence on prescription drugs. IMO, lifestyle changes and targeted supplements are a far better option.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

It's true this drug for that drug side effect, a vicious cycle. And the assembly lines of replacements....my folks and all their families lived long lives without these assembly lines of replacements....yes, they had issues but so do we with the knife jobs. I sometimes scream about how I ended up with this replacement.

Yes, stick with as natural as possible. j

It's true this drug for that drug side effect, a vicious cycle. And the assembly lines of replacements....my folks and all their families lived long lines without these assembly lines of replacements....yes, they had issues but so do we with the knife jobs. I sometimes scream about how I ended up with this replacement.

Yes, stick with as natural as possible. j
    My "whole-thing" with replacements are two-fold.........One, because I am single/live alone, they will not even do it unless i agree to a 10-30 day convalescent stay. {Not interested} And two.....once they cut off that bone...it's gone , forever. And revision surgery is really to be avoided ! So I have read/heard.

Yes i know the conventional thinking is that they work just fine. But.... I know exactly four folks that have it done , and two of them are a complete success...and the other two have had many complications .....and wish they would have never had it done!

That adds up too 50/50

Those odds do not add up for me......jmo

Since my replacement in 2010, I have visited and been a member of SO MANY joint replacement forums...and the stories...one worse than the other. Of course, those with pretty good outcomes, don't need to talk about their issues with others.

When I had mine I came home alone, no one stayed with me the first night as I was doing so well...but into my 5th month post op everything went downhill...finally found the shorter leg outcome from a podiatrist.

When one is new in the post op, they don't know what to expect.

The post op visits are usually 3 and then you are on your own as the surgeon goes on to their next "victims".

I had both hips replaced 5 years ago and am absolutely delighted with the results. I truly got my life back as a result of the surgeries.

I know many people who have had replacement surgery done and I do not know a single person who has had any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I had both hips replaced 5 years ago and am absolutely delighted with the results. I truly got my life back as a result of the surgeries.

I know many people who have had replacement surgery done and I do not know a single person who has had any trouble.

Glad your experience was positive....not all are.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.