Dining at Assisted Living. Questions I am asked.

Dining at Assisted Living. Questions I am asked.

How is three meals a day in the dinning room working out? Do you sit and have to wait for a server to take your order? After ordering how long is the wait? can you see the menu before mealtime? Do you have a fixed table where only you sit? i don't like the idea of having to go to a dinning room three times a day. Do you like it?

Yes I Love it. I wait no more than a minute or two for a server to take my order. 10 to15 minutes would be the standard wait time for serving. Weekly Menu's for lunch and dinner are give to each resident prior to the beginning of the week and furnished on each table as well. You can order anything you like for breakfast. I love Eggs Benedict. The seating is open and you can sit any where you like. Going from my second floor apartment to the Dining Room is 5 minutes and good exercise. If I am not feeling well or want to have the meal in my apartment there is a five dollar charge for serving. White or Red Wine is always offered with the evening meal. Saturday evening I had the best New York Steak that I have ever eaten along with several glasses of Cabernet. I had my daughter as a dinner guest and will be billed $12 for her meal.

I keep wine, snacks.K cups etc in my kitchenette.

It sounds very nice!

Can't ask better than that Lon,...and how lovely to be able to enjoy the luxury of good food and company in your autumn years... especially when your health isn't the greatest, it just takes away all the stress and hassle of thinking about shopping and cooking...and also you have the choice as to whether to have company or not... Fabulous!! I'd feel like a Queen if it was me.

Lon,

Sounds like a very pampered life!

Do they offer food and beverages other than meal times?

Can you call out for say, pizza delivery, then go pick it up at the desk?

Lon, it sounds very nice. Are the portions a reasonable size -- what I mean is do get enough to satisfy you? Do they offer special meals for people on special diets?

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Lon,

Sounds like a very pampered life!

Do they offer food and beverages other than meal times?
    Yes they do--There is a kiosk with coffee, cookies,pretzels, juices. fresh fruit etc available 24/7 as well as two HAPPY HOURS PER WEEK in the large living room. All the apartments have a kitchenette with fridge, stove, microwave. Residents keep some food stuffs to their liking.
    I keep coffee KCups, nuts, wine, salsa, celery & carrot sticks popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Yes they do--There is a kiosk with coffee, cookies,pretzels, juices. fresh fruit etc available 24/7 as well as two HAPPY HOURS PER WEEK in the large living room. All the apartments have a kitchenette with fridge, stove, microwave. Residents keep some food stuffs to their liking.
    I keep coffee KCups, nuts, wine, salsa, celery & carrot sticks popcorn
    That is a nice feature.

It sounds better and better all the time!!!

Hi Lon,my late parents lived in a retirement community in Hanover,NH,"Kendall at Hanover'{'92-'03},though they didn't live in the assisted living section.
    What you have described regarding the meals is similar to what I experienced every time I visited them.They would always have breakfast in their apt and sometimes lunch. They would go to have cocktails with friends before they all headed to the dining room for dinner. The food was always delicious,the staff were friendly.
    You have brought back fond memories for me,thankyou for sharing this with us Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Can you call out for say, pizza delivery, then go pick it up at the desk?
    Yes. You can order out anything you like and have it delivered to the front desk or your apartment. Monday nights the menu has various styles of pizza available. I have ordered through Grub Hub occasionally or Uber Eats.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Lon, it sounds very nice. Are the portions a reasonable size -- what I mean is do get enough to satisfy you? Do they offer special meals for people on special diets?
    Yes they are quite reasonably sized and they will give you additional amounts if you ask.
    Our monthly rent allows for special diets.

Sounds great, Lon. Always glad to hear that life at the facility is still exactly what you wanted. Isn't that a wonderful feeling?

When we were researching senior facilities for my MIL we paid a lot of attention to the food. She had mild dementia and without a regular schedule she would often forget to eat. The facility we finally picked had very good, traditional food she was familiar with and comfortable eating.

They assigned seating - 4 to a table - but were happy to move a resident elsewhere if asked. We kept an eye on it but MIL had no complaints with her tablemates. She'd always thought of herself as 'old' at 83 but was quite surprised to find she was the youngest person at her table!

Wouldn't it be nice, we wouldnt have to cook anymore.

Hi Olive
    welcome1.jpg

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.