Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smart TV

A "Smart" TV comes with Internet sites that stream into your TV without additional charge. Some use Roku, already installed. You're paying for that Roku in the purchase price. You may also pay extra for sports packages, Premium channels like HBO, Starz, etc.

You may also buy a non Smart TV and, for about 30.00, buy the Roku or Kindle "stick" yourself and plug it into the back of the TV. Same thing.

Of course, you pay for your Internet service anyway, for your computer. My high speed Internet service is 56.00 per month I pay 11.00 per month for Amazon Prime movies and some TV. It's all I need. You may need more.

I'm saving $117.00 a month by dropping the medium-grade cable package- which most of it, I didn't watch. It was always, "there's nothing good on tv" ... I don't watch sports which was a big chunk of that package; didn't pay extra for HBO and the like, didn't watch crime shows, which was another huge chunk.

I live near the ESPN campus, which is huge, takes up several blocks... 2 years ago they laid off over 200 employees, very sad...then even more recently. It seems there are more people who didn't want huge sports packages shoved down their throats, so they "cut the cord" and went Internet TV.

2 -sided coin. Many of us became free from paying for some of the TV we didn't want, but it hurt the city's economy.

Today, I enjoyed about 2 hours of historical videos, I think from the BBC- terrific. Free.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    A "Smart" TV comes with Internet sites that stream into your TV without additional charge. Some use Roku, already installed. You're paying for that Roku in the purchase price. You may also pay extra for sports packages, Premium channels like HBO, Starz, etc.

You may also buy a non Smart TV and, for about 30.00, buy the Roku or Kindle "stick" yourself and plug it into the back of the TV. Same thing.

Of course, you pay for your Internet service anyway, for your computer. My high speed Internet service is 56.00 per month I pay 11.00 per month for Amazon Prime movies and some TV. It's all I need. You may need more.
    Correct. A Smart TV does NOT need an additional streaming device; it has internet connectivity built in. Our Smart TV has access to any streaming service... Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. Some are subscription services and some are FREE.

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    Correct. A Smart TV does NOT need an additional streaming device; it has internet connectivity built in. Our Smart TV has access to any streaming service... Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. Some are subscription services and some are FREE.
    Yep. My favorite is YouTube; free. Once you noodle around with it and explore, it's amazing the good stuff they have. I think I watch it 85% of the time. It's not just for music.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Yep. My favorite is YouTube; free. Once you noodle around with it and explore, it's amazing the good stuff they have. I think I watch it 85% of the time. It's not just for music.
    Me, too. I was surprised at all the good programming I have found on youtube. I always thought it was just for cat videos, etc. Wrong! I've found all kinds of movies, TV series, documentaries, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kburra View Post
    probably because a smart TV connects to the internet,and much wider choice of viewing old movies from there?
    Yeah, I think the smart TV has built-in stuff that takes the place of a streaming device. My TV is stupid, so I have a Roku.

Probably the best old Movies site on the Net and FREE..if can watch on PC sure can watch on smart TV.
    http://www.bnwmovies.com/

bw.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.