Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dang Shingles Shot Hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    All needles seem to hurt me. But these cordisone shorts take the cake. I nearly jumped off the table. He had to almost hold me down to do the second on on the other area.
    I suspect you know the downsides to too much cortisone. Weakens the cartilage for starters. Many do end up with a lot of destruction from too much steroids.

And on the shingles, one needs to learn to reduce stress...let go of so much we can't change or control. Handling and changing our minds. Stress is the major issue I've read that triggers shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    I suspect you know the downsides to too much cortisone. Weakens the cartilage for starters. Many do end up with a lot of destruction from too much steroids.

And on the shingles, one needs to learn to reduce stress...let go of so much we can't change or control. Handling and changing our minds. Stress is the major issue I've read that triggers shingles.
    I tried a cortisone shot to avoid hip replacement, but shot done nothing for me. Had the replacement done and darn glad I did.

Tried a cortisone shot for the Osteoarthritis in my left shoulder. Didnít work again.

Sometimes stress just canít be avoided, especially when living someplace (city-state) a person no longer likes and the lifestyle they like, but isnít part of that city-state. Unfortunately, canít move right away due to finances.
    Stress also comes from upcoming medical procedures that are a must to get.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    I tried a cortisone shot to avoid hip replacement, but shot done nothing for me. Had the replacement done and darn glad I did.

Tried a cortisone shot for the Osteoarthritis in my left shoulder. Didnít work again.

Sometimes stress just canít be avoided, especially when living someplace (city-state) a person no longer likes and the lifestyle they like, but isnít part of that city-state. Unfortunately, canít move right away due to finances.
    Stress also comes from upcoming medical procedures that are a must to get.
    Oh stress can be everywhere...again learning to let go of what we can't change...so many are stressed with the political picture today, but I can't be bothered, I can't change a bloody thing..but wait until next election...everything changes, but much stays the same. It's how we handle it all.

Meditation works wonders with calming mind and body. It's free and simple and it works...keeping life simple works too to our betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    Wrong. The new vaccine is over 90% effective.
    Do you have a link to that claim for people that are over 80?

I asked my doctor what are the chances of me getting shingles.

He said it's 50-50.

I don't know. It's risk versus reward and it's gambling. I think I'll take a chance and forget it.

There are millions who don't get the shot and don't get shingles and there are those who get the shot, I guess. I don't know the number and who does, facts change every minute.

My parents lived into 90's never had shots and never had shingles. I compare my life a lot with their lives.

Absolutely true!!

I would appreciate a link to that. From what I read it loses its effectiveness as you age.

Absolutely true!!

I would appreciate a link to that. From what I read it loses its effectiveness as you age.

While the vaccine was most effective in people 60 through 69 years old, it also provides some protection for people 70 years old and older.
    Adults vaccinated before age 60 years might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest.

Well I'm well over 69.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post

While the vaccine was most effective in people 60 through 69 years old, it also provides some protection for people 70 years old and older.
    Adults vaccinated before age 60 years might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest.

Well I'm well over 69.
    Wife and I, her 70 and Iím now 69, were told by the pharmacist that the new shot is 90% effective against getting shingles and higher if the person has never had chicken pox.

We will go with that!

Wife and I, her 70 and I’m now 69, were told by the pharmacist that the new shot is 90% effective against getting shingles and higher if the person has never had chicken pox.

We will go with that!
    So will he. That's how they make money. He has a dog in the hunt. I'm looking for someone without a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    So will he. That's how they make money. He has a dog in the hunt. I'm looking for someone without a dog.
    Nope! We trust him.

Wife and I, her 70 and I’m now 69, were told by the pharmacist that the new shot is 90% effective against getting shingles and higher if the person has never had chicken pox.

We will go with that!
    Um... I believe a person who has never had chickenpox cannot get shingles anyway. They don't need the shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.