Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 57 of 57

Dang Shingles Shot Hurts!

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Wife and I absolutely have no problem getting the Shingles shot as well as yearly Senior Flu one. We both know our immune system is good, but not THAT good.



    For us “better being safe than sorry”!
    Exactly the way my husband and I think. I had the older shingles shot a few years ago and will request the new one when I go for my annual checkup in a couple of months. I've never had shingles, thank heavens, but watched my mother, my husband, and several friends suffer with it. By my observations, it's an experience best avoided.

    With drugs, less is often more but there's also a real danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Not ALL big pharma offerings are bad, just as not ALL supplements or vitamins are modern versions of snake oil. My husband and I make informed decisions based on our own research, our doctors' advice, and excellent input from family members in the health field (an MD, an RN, and a pharmacist).
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    Exactly the way my husband and I think. I had the older shingles shot a few years ago and will request the new one when I go for my annual checkup in a couple of months. I've never had shingles, thank heavens, but watched my mother, my husband, and several friends suffer with it. By my observations, it's an experience best avoided.

    With drugs, less is often more but there's also a real danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Not ALL big pharma offerings are bad, just as not ALL supplements or vitamins are modern versions of snake oil. My husband and I make informed decisions based on our own research, our doctors' advice, and excellent input from family members in the health field (an MD, an RN, and a pharmacist).

    Exactly how how I feel. Also have an MD, nurse and two pharmacists in the family.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    3,952
    Not EVERYONE gets shingles, the fear perpetrated is unbelievable.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    Not EVERYONE gets shingles, the fear perpetrated is unbelievable.
    No, not everyone gets it....and I want to make sure I don't. Just seeing one person with a bad case of shingles is enough to scare me.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,512
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee View Post
    No, not everyone gets it....and I want to make sure I don't. Just seeing one person with a bad case of shingles is enough to scare me.
    You have that right!!
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    4,829
    For me I feel sometimes that the cure is worse than the disease. When you get as old as me I am finding out enough already. There is no guarantee.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    So, either you got the new one, but only one dose instead of the required two, or you got the old, 30% effective shot, like my wife got last Oct.

    The new on, that came out March 2018 is 90% affective. She has already got the first of two shots of that, as I did,
    Great!!! We paid over $400 to get a shot that's only 30% effective??? Not getting the "new" one so I guess we'll take our chances. It would have been nice if we would have been told that the new one was coming out in March...we got our shots in Feb.!! AAARRRGGGHHH

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    3,952
    Good to take Lysine on and off as it wards off that virus and I do this for many yrs. I've had chicken pox, had herpes many yrs ago and Lysine works good for me. No shots.

    Too bad medical world doesn't go into true prevention and only goes for the toxic drugs, but that's what it is...big pharma.

    The $10 bottle of Lysine doesn't come anywhere near the $400+ costs of the shots so this type of prevention will never be brought forward by pharma.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    Great!!! We paid over $400 to get a shot that's only 30% effective??? Not getting the "new" one so I guess we'll take our chances. It would have been nice if we would have been told that the new one was coming out in March...we got our shots in Feb.!! AAARRRGGGHHH
    We paid a little over $200 for wife's shot last Oct.. When I told her that shot was only 30% effective, as told to me by the pharmacist, she wasn't happy, but decided that 90% effective is much better than 30%. So, she got it the same day I got mine. Total, our cost was $320 ($160 for each) and our next shot (second dose) will be the same. But, we definitely want to be protected...……...just like getting the flu shot.

    We don't like paying $640 for Shingles shots, but the medical bill from getting shingles could possibly be much, much more. If bad enough, could require a hospital visit or even stay.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    116
    Sure not everyone gets it, but if you've had chicken pox the virus stays in the ganglia for life.

    I've been reading about Shingix for years and this drug is a lifesaver due to it's long term effectiveness.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    We paid a little over $200 for wife's shot last Oct.. When I told her that shot was only 30% effective, as told to me by the pharmacist, she wasn't happy, but decided that 90% effective is much better than 30%. So, she got it the same day I got mine. Total, our cost was $320 ($160 for each) and our next shot (second dose) will be the same. But, we definitely want to be protected...……...just like getting the flu shot.

    We don't like paying $640 for Shingles shots, but the medical bill from getting shingles could possibly be much, much more. If bad enough, could require a hospital visit or even stay.
    Yup.

    With apologies to Clint Eastwood's for reworking his famous Dirty Harry bit, this is what goes through my mind:

    Was that the most effective vaccine'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being that this is the shingles, one of the most painful conditions a person can have, one that would make you want to scratch inside your ears with a tiny pitchfork, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, Punk?

    Me? I wouldn't trust the lesser vaccine - not for a $200 difference or the pain of a sore arm for a day or so. But I also wouldn't have gambled whether Dirty Harry had another bullet in the chamber.

    Here's the unaltered quote because I know many of you are already thinking about Googling it:
    'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, Punk?"

    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    Yup.

    With apologies to Clint Eastwood's for reworking his famous Dirty Harry bit, this is what goes through my mind:

    Was that the most effective vaccine'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being that this is the shingles, one of the most painful conditions a person can have, one that would make you want to scratch inside your ears with a tiny pitchfork, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, Punk?

    Me? I wouldn't trust the lesser vaccine - not for a $200 difference or the pain of a sore arm for a day or so. But I also wouldn't have gambled whether Dirty Harry had another bullet in the chamber.

    Here's the unaltered quote because I know many of you are already thinking about Googling it:
    'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, Punk?"

    Haha...love the enallage....and Dirty Harry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. You Need To Exercise Even If It Hurts,
    By Lon in forum Weight Loss and Fitness
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-04-2018, 03:11 PM
  2. Well Dang it! I Apologize
    By QuickSilver in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-08-2016, 12:54 PM
  3. Politeness never hurts
    By Warrigal in forum Computers & Phones
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-17-2016, 03:15 AM
  4. Dang, I Missed a Whole Decade
    By fureverywhere in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 03:51 PM
  5. Shingles Shot
    By Jackie22 in forum Health
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 05-18-2014, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum