Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Retiring this month and do not know what to expect

Retiring this month and do not know what to expect

Just turning 67 and retiring this month. Nervous about what to expect since I have been working every year from the age of 14. I am an ex Vietnam Veteran, interested in ham radio and photography right now. Married for 46 years and still madly in love and frisky. I have been retiring slowly for the last 8 years. Downsized and got down to working only 3 days a week from home. Just got bored with my work which was once my hobby. I have always been able to make more money when need and living on a fixed income will be different. Perhaps I will find another job in the future but for now I just want to see what happens.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Welcome, Vinny!
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Hi Vinny. to the group.

Hi Vinny- Keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like you've got it all!

welcome1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Just turning 67 and retiring this month. Nervous about what to expect since I have been working every year from the age of 14. I am an ex Vietnam Veteran, interested in ham radio and photography right now. Married for 46 years and still madly in love and frisky. I have been retiring slowly for the last 8 years. Downsized and got down to working only 3 days a week from home. Just got bored with my work which was once my hobby. I have always been able to make more money when need and living on a fixed income will be different. Perhaps I will find another job in the future but for now I just want to see what happens.
    Noticed your location is Florida, where at? We have been living in Jacksonville since 2009, but next year will be moving back to Colorado or up into Wyoming. Florida just doesn't appeal to us anymore.

As far as your retirement goes, just try to keep busy doing something. My wife still works a full-time job, but I retired 7 years ago. When we move, she will quit her descent paying job and our income will definitely take a hit, but that's just the way it has to be. Right now, I do a lot of household stuff, like vacuuming, running/unloading dishwasher, all laundry, some cooking and running errands at times.

Good Luck to you!

Welcome from Houston!

welcome vinny--- from georgia

Thanks to all. I am in central Florida away from the oceans and full force of the hurricanes. If you are familar with Florida you will know where I am when I say it is the largest retirement community in the State and the world. We will never move back north. Cannot handle the cold and snow. Also cost of living in the northeast is ridiculous. I swore that I would never move to Florida but my wife's sister lives nearby and since my wife has moved 13 times to further my career, I felt that I owed her this. We like it but mostly because we live in a bubble filled with people our age with lots of activities and easy access to everything we need..

Hi Vinny. I was born in Ft Lauderdale but moved when I was 3. Have visited more than a handful of times and have often thought of moving back but feel very comfortable here in NC. Moving is a bear so I think I'll stay put. Congrats on your retirement...relax and enjoy!
    Last edited by Lara; 06-13-2018 at 03:55 PM.

HI Vinny,welcome to this friendly forum.
    Congrats on your retirement,as a suggestion just make a list of things you'd like to do
    The only adjustment I had to make after I retired,was not getting up at 5:30am the days I had to be at work,took me 6-8 months to break that habit.
    I'm sure you'll be able to find orgs that appeal to you,would like to have you as a volunteer,that's what I did
    A yr before I retired,bought a 'retirement clock',the 2nd hand shows the days of the week. There have many times I've looked at the clock to see what day it is
    I don't know where the time has gone,been 7 yrs for me Sue in Buffalo,NY
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Welcome Vinny, I used to visit Boca every year. It was fun.

Hi Vinny, hope you enjoy your retirement and congratulations on your long and happy marriage, I'm not too far behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Just turning 67 and retiring this month. Nervous about what to expect .
    it starts by waking early in the morn, giggling yer hind end off, and going back to sleep
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Hi Vinny,welcome from New Jersey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.