Robo calls.....

Angry Robo calls.....

We all get those irritating Robo calls. My cell phone rings several times a day but we never answer them. Our kids are the only ones that have our number so when I check the ID and it isn't one of them, I don't answer it.

A couple days ago, we kept getting a call from the same number here in AZ. I didn't recognize the number but I looked it up in www.whitepages.com and it said it belonged to a bail bonds company down in Yuma!! There was no scam alert linked to that number so I Googled the business name and, yes, there is a bail bonds company with that number. Well...I knew my husband nor I was out on bail for anything (haha) so I decided to call them and see why they had been calling our number. I figured they just had a wrong number.

The first time I called I got a busy signal so I waited a while and called them back. Then I got a recorded message that said, "This is not a working number". What?????? So, I went back to whitepages and put an alert on this number. We haven't had any more calls from that number but we sure do get a LOT of calls from all kinds of numbers! It's very irritating!

Same here,I would say 90% are these calls,guess they haven't figured out most people don't answer an unrecognized number anymore...
    I used to Google them but don't bother anymore.

We got "nomorobo" installed on our landline via Comcast. It works GREAT at blocking/filtering those calls, and it's free.

I use a program called HiYa on my iPhone. It has a massive database of fake numbers and can be set to send calls from your cell's area code straght to voice mail. I seldom answer my phone. If it is important the person will leave a message. My friends text me. You can also set your phone to Do Not Disturb which will send all calls to voicemail except the ones you setup to let through. This way all of my family, friends, doctors, etc. calls go through. The rest go into voice mail. One other cool feature is that you can set Do Not Disturb on the iPhone so that if anyone calles twice in under three minutes, the call will go through. This will handle any emergency calls you may get since most times people will call twice. I have never had a problem with this setup.

We also use nomorobo (AT&T U-verse), it works great and it's free, what's not to like ? Our phone rings once, if the calling number is on nomorobo's list of numbers, they take care of the call. If the number is not on their list, our phone continues to ring and we either answer or let it go to voicemail. I keep expecting them to start charging for the service and I would gladly pay, well, within reason but will definitely continue to use it while it's free! Keep in mind not all phone companies work with nomorobo, AT&T and, according to C'est Moi, Comcast does. Don...

As I'm now mostly retired (mostly consulting), my office is in my home. Due to the steady stream of robocalls on my business line, unless I'm waiting for a specific call I keep the ringer off and clear the voice mails once a day. Of course they're nearly ALL junk calls.

When required to furnish a phone number (whether personal or business) unless it's something critical I give out that business number. My internet, landline & TV are bundled so that line only costs something like $12 a month. We need a landline for our alarm system anyway. Two birds, one stone.

My customers know to email or call my cell.

Because of the avalanche of scams, solicitations and political calls, I hold my mobile number nearly as closely as I do my SS number and won't answer calls from unfamiliar numbers. If people really need to get in touch they'll leave a message.

I've signed up several times for nomorobo, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work. However, I've learned how to block calls, so if I don't recognize the caller, I don't pick up and then immediately block that number. It's cut down on the number of nuisance calls, at least.

They seem to be dwindling; only one or two. They never leave a message on my answering machine.

A lot of them are simply asking for work. Better than sitting on their rear ends drawing welfare.

Here in Britain i'm signed up to a service that stops most of these calls.The odd one slips through but it is a rare occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    We all get those irritating Robo calls. My cell phone rings several times a day but we never answer them. Our kids are the only ones that have our number so when I check the ID and it isn't one of them, I don't answer it.

A couple days ago, we kept getting a call from the same number here in AZ. I didn't recognize the number but I looked it up in www.whitepages.com and it said it belonged to a bail bonds company down in Yuma!! There was no scam alert linked to that number so I Googled the business name and, yes, there is a bail bonds company with that number. Well...I knew my husband nor I was out on bail for anything (haha) so I decided to call them and see why they had been calling our number. I figured they just had a wrong number.

The first time I called I got a busy signal so I waited a while and called them back. Then I got a recorded message that said, "This is not a working number". What?????? So, I went back to whitepages and put an alert on this number. We haven't had any more calls from that number but we sure do get a LOT of calls from all kinds of numbers! It's very irritating!
    Same here but I have found a solution. I found out on my phone that I can put it on 'do not disturb' and there is an option to only take calls from my contacts and you can set the hours that you want to have it on 'do not disturb'.

I also block the numbers I received so they can't use that same number again.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Same here but I have found a solution. I found out on my phone that I can put it on 'do not disturb' and there is an option to only take calls from my contacts and you can set the hours that you want to have it on 'do not disturb'.

I also block the numbers I received so they can't use that same number again.
    Thanks...I'll check my phone. I'm not a cell-techy so I haven't messed with it much. Never use it unless getting or sending texts to/from the "kids".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.