Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Having Rats as Pets

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I think they look cute in the photo post#5. And Max, the golden one, has a pretty coat that is shiny. I can't see Bear very well. I can see why you like them.
    Here is a better one to see Bear

34102583_1713580745423532_6065168870551846912_n.png
    If there's a Rock and Roll heaven, you know they have a hell of a band.

Oh, Bear is adorable. The spots are cute.

This is one of my new boys, Bear. He is called a Velveteen . He cooperated while I was learning to use the video function on my phone.

<strong>

Bear looks happy and healthy, cute video Marie!

Good video, Marie!

I could never have one for a pet but yours are cute. Too many memories of an older friend that had them in her house and they had a terrible time getting rid of them. I prefer a fish for a pet.

Here are Max (left) and Bear trying to stay hydrated in the heat. Also trying to share. They do not have the sharing part quite down yet. Excuse the silly shot of my foot at the end. I do not know how to edit yet.

<strong><font size="4">

They look like they'll share just fine with a little practice, cute!

I gave the boys some strawberry yogurt today. It is good for them, and they like it. Seems as if Bear is enjoying it, and Max is waiting to see what Bear thinks.37032499_10211343041363058_8366283219556892672_n.jpg

Cute pic Marie, strawberry yogurt sounds good, and healthy for all!

Those videos are so cute. Who would have thought they eat yogurt. Marie,do you feed them a set amount each day? Can they over eat? I left pellets in the cage for our Guinea pigs all the time and gave them treats in between. Same with the hamsters. Some animals don't know when to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth n Jersey View Post
    Those videos are so cute. Who would have thought they eat yogurt. Marie,do you feed them a set amount each day? Can they over eat? I left pellets in the cage for our Guinea pigs all the time and gave them treats in between. Same with the hamsters. Some animals don't know when to stop.
    I usually leave their dry food in the cage all day. Since they are nocturnal, they do most of their eating at night. You do have to be careful with treats, and they sometimes do not know when to stop. Plus, they will store food for later. Yogurt is a good calcium source for them. For young rats, under 6 months, eggs are recommended for the protein. Some folks do supplement the diet with people food, like veggies, or pasta (really) for the variety. But when they do that, they feed less of the rat food. Fruit not so much because of the sugars, though mine love their bananas.

I like domestic rats. I had one when I was a kid. I understand that sometimes, for whatever reason, you might purchase one that bites. We have place near us that sells rats (as pets, not reptile food), and the lady who works there recommended getting two young males. She said sometimes you might get a biter, and if he doesn't stop, you can bring him back in for an exchange. Do you know why a young rat would bite the person that feeds them?

When I was around 4-5 years old, we were poor & lived in a small, run-down apartment. I loved it because I fed mice, rats & cockroaches. After a few weeks, I'd sit on the floor & 5 or 6 of them would jump in my lap & take food out of my hands. They never bit me. They learned when my mom & dad left & that's when they'd come out.

Once, I told my mom, "Let's live here forever. I love this apartment." She asked, "Why, it's terrible." I said, "It comes with its own pets." Her eyes got real big & she said, "What are you talking about?" I said "The rats are real nice; they let me pet them & feed them." Oooh, did she get mad!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.