Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you make money after you retire, you are not really retired?

Maybe it's different for people who owned their own businesses. Back then I didn't have a boss, per se, and I don't have one now. My time is still mostly my own. I schedule my work to suit my schedule and my clients are cool with that.

We planned to do this consulting as part of our retirement, both to help those clients and as a favor to ourselves. We quite enjoy it which is no surprise since we liked our work when we did it full time.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

That's the "new retirement" Vinny. No more seniors rocking in their rocking chairs. Retirement affords one the freedom to start a business, work a different "career" or do nothing but leisure stuff. Point is one has retired from the job or career that they obviously spent many years doing.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedDiva View Post
    That's the "new retirement" Vinny. No more seniors rocking in their rocking chairs. Retirement affords one the freedom to start a business, work a different "career" or do nothing but leisure stuff. Point is one has retired from the job or career that they obviously spent many years doing.
    Well said, Diva. Retirement lets us freely choose how to spend our time, and work may be part of that choice.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

i always found retirement means never having to work , not necessarily not working . i love everything i do .

my wife and i have a photography business that sells photo's on line . i teach motor controls and variable frequency drives one day a week at my old company and enjoy it .

now that i got back in to my drumming i would like to do some side gigs and studio work .

Quote Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
    i always found retirement means never having to work , not necessarily not working . i love everything i do .

my wife and i have a photography business that sells photo's on line . i teach motor controls and variable frequency drives one day a week at my old company and enjoy it .

now that i got back in to my drumming i would like to do some side gigs and studio work .
    Finding some gigs would be cool MJ. My doctor and I have the same instrument so we'd discuss music on my visits. He didn't feel he played that well (I never heard him and one's own opinion of one's talent is subjective) but he told me a few months ago that he's playing in a band. I was blown away! They started out as a "garage band" but are now doing gigs in different parts of the state. I have produced an album of original songs on my digital piano which was released in 2003 but playing in public makes me nervous so I don't do it. I played for the church once and I wound up quitting after a few Sundays. I always wondered though, if I'd be less nervous if I played in a band rather than solo. If you start gigging...let me know!

i played with a group at a music fest in long island last saturday

Quote Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
    i played with a group at a music fest in long island last saturday
    Very cool MJ. Sounds like it should have been fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.