Walking Through a Forest Can Make You Healthier and Happier

Walking Through a Forest Can Make You Healthier and Happier

This has been my experience too, love being out in nature and walking through a beautiful forest with all its sights, sounds, scents and smells. More here.

Walking through a forest: Sunlight streaming through trees, birds chirping and wind rustling, the crunch of leaves beneath your feet. These simple pleasures are getting serious attention for the way they could help you feel healthier and happier.

The forest “is a place to slow down, relax the mind, release tension and awaken your senses to the natural beauty around you,” explains Ben “Crow” Page, a certified forest therapy guide and training coordinator for the Association of Nature and Forest Therapy (ANFT). “We spend most of our lives so stressed out. Escaping that for a couple of hours can feel so good.”

I agree about the forests. We have 40 acres of dense hardwood forest...oak, walnut, hickory, and a bunch of cedar trees, and it is nice to take a walk in there. This time of year, it is more like an Amazon rain forest with weeds and brush shoulder high everywhere...plus, its full of ticks and chiggers....so all I do during this time of year is hook up the brush hog to the tractor and mow a nice 1/2 mile walking trail. However, by late September, the heat has killed off most of the nuisance bugs, and then I can get serious about harvesting the dead trees for Winter firewood. It's nice to get way out into the trees, shut off the tractor, and just watch and listen to the birds, and deers, etc., doing their thing.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Oh, don't I know it! When I hike the mountain trails around here, I am in another world. Make it a path that follows what they call here a "bold" creek, and I'm in heaven. Water and woods and a mountain view.....it doesn't get any better.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Have always loved that. But I guess I wore out my joints doing it because I've got replacements & a walker now. One or 2 places I can still navigate but hoping for improvements.

So very true

We pride ourselves in our tall buildings, exorbitant edifices.
    But
    A stroll thru a gentling glade of trees, well, words don’t say it.

I’m best in the quietude of early evening.
    When shadows lengthen.
    Listening to the stillness.
    It settles whatever was stirred in the day.

a coyote's song don't hurt
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

I work in the urban forest. You would be surprised how, at sixty to eighty feet above the hustle and bustle of big city life, one can actually find the same serenity you folks have referenced in your posts on rural forest environments. I see things not many city dwellers ever do, wildlife and vistas unimaginable to most in the concrete jungle below me.

Hello Everyone.
    I agree. Walking among the trees in a forest is a wonderful experience. I live on the edge of the New Forest, Britain,s smallest National Park. No matter what time of the year there is something of interest. My favorite time of the year is Spring when Mother Nature wakes from her slumbers and start to dress the trees in their new coats of green, So many different shades of green. Years ago when I was much younger I used to be up and into the forest at dawn break to listen to the dawn chorus. There is not an orchestra on this planet that can beat the sound of the dawn chorus. Autumn, (Fall is your word for this time of the year) is the time to walk among the beech and birch trees and admire the beautiful colours from red to golden brown. Of course it is not anywhere near the scale of what you have in New England but to us it is wonderland. When I think of all the trouble spots around the world I thank the Lord I live where I do. I would not change it for anything.

I love the woods, my home is surrounded by woodland... and I would love it to be a Forest instead...

I'm with jujube.. mountains, rivers and woodland.. doesn't get any better than that. We have 2 out of the 3 here, but I really miss the mountains...although we make great use out of them when we're abroad.. Bliss!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.