Are any of you in a Book Club?

Are any of you in a Book Club?

How long have you been in it? How did you come to be in it? I have been trying to join one / start one for a while now, but can't seem to find anyone interested in it. I've asked relatives and friends but all I seem to get are blank stares. The one answer I got was from my sister who just said she only wanted to read what she wanted to, and when she wanted to, so would not be interested. I didn't think it would be so difficult to do this.

I much prefer to READ books than talk about them.

I love to read & most of the Sr centers here have book clubs but 2 things put me off. I rarely buy books any more & it can be a scramble to get the selection at the library. Also I was an English Major in college & never liked to dissect the writing looking for hidden symbols etc. I like to discuss some books but not on a regulated basis.
    That being said, there are book clubs at some of the Sr living complexes here that have gone on for years.

I don't buy books like I used to. I usually get on the wait list at the library if there is a new book I want to read. Our library has a club but these days there are certain books I want to read and that's what I do. Oprah used to have an online book club but I don't know if its still active. You can check her website.

You probably can't get anybody interested, Uptosnuff,
    because people use tablets to read books and not the
    paper versions.

Maybe you should try to start a Kindle book club.

Mike.
    A Scot Living in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You probably can't get anybody interested, Uptosnuff,
    because people use tablets to read books and not the
    paper versions.

Maybe you should try to start a Kindle book club.

Mike.
    HI Mike,I beg to differ with you about reading books.I have no desire to read on a Nook or Kindle.All the books I buy and read are either paperback or hardcover Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

I'm an avid reader - -spend far more time reading than watching TV. It may be my age, but I have never been able to comfortably transfer my reading to tablets or other electronic devices. A personal choice, I realize, but I don't think that I'm, by any means, alone in this choice. I do use my Ipad and laptop for many things, just not for reading books.

I love to read and use both mediums, but preferred paper until going on a 14 day transpacific cruise. The convenience of a tablet got me hooked. It's so easy to order and download books from my library at any time of the day or night without leaving home or worrying over returning them ahead of their due dates. I still go to the library for DVDs and some books that aren't electronically available though. What's not to love about a library.

Back to the OP's topic though, I've never belonged to a book club and likely wouldn't join one. I'm resistant to rules, time constraints, and picking books apart.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

I don't see where it would really matter what medium you use to read: book, nook, kindle, tablet, etc. The idea is to read it and discuss. I can see where people would just want to read a book for pleasure and not pick it apart. I think, though, you can make a book club as nebulous as it needs to be. You take a poll of what members want out of it, what they don't want and go from there. I've heard that some book clubs are excuses to get together and have drinks. It's what the members want out of it. Personally, I still love my books. I have a Nook and tried to read from it, but it made my eyes really tired. So does looking at my phone. Reading from a book isn't nearly as tiring as an electronic device.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I'm an avid reader - -spend far more time reading than watching TV. It may be my age, but I have never been able to comfortably transfer my reading to tablets or other electronic devices. A personal choice, I realize, but I don't think that I'm, by any means, alone in this choice. I do use my Ipad and laptop for many things, just not for reading books.
    I agree. Reading on one of those devices is just not the same. I read real paper books.

I just don't see the point (other than socializing) in book clubs. I read for pleasure, and I read way too fast for a book club. I start them, get sucked in, finish them, and move on.

I get books from a large used bookstore/exchange and go get a bag full, read 'em and take 'em back to the store and get another bag full.

Quote Originally Posted by moviequeen1 View Post
    HI Mike,I beg to differ with you about reading books.I have no desire to read on a Nook or Kindle.All the books I buy and read are either paperback or hardcover Sue
    Hello Sue, everybody chooses how they do things, I read paper books
    all my life, but at present I use a kindle, I can get Ebooks from the
    library and last night I got one at midnight.

I do read paper books and Ebooks, but my statement was a bit tongue
    -in-cheek as some people might think that they don't qualify to join if
    they don't read paper books.

I hope that you get your club going though.

Mike.
    A Scot Living in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hello Sue, everybody chooses how they do things, I read paper books
    all my life, but at present I use a kindle, I can get Ebooks from the
    library and last night I got one at midnight.

I do read paper books and Ebooks, but my statement was a bit tongue
    -in-cheek as some people might think that they don't qualify to join if
    they don't read paper books.

I hope that you get your club going though.

Mike.
    Hi Mike,,uptosnuff is trying to start her book club,not me Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Sometimes, it might be nice to discuss a book that I have read; but most of the time, I have no interest in doing that . When I first saw this thread, I thought it was about one of those book clubs where they send you a choice each month, and you can buy a book from the selection at a discounted price. If you forget to make a selection, then you get sent the “book of the month” whether you want it or not.
    I remember trying that type of club many years ago, and I would never do that again. With so many people reading online now, there might not even be any of those kinds of book clubs anymore anyway.

I much prefer reading with my Kindle than reading a paper book, at least most of the time. If it is some kind of a book that I want to use as a reference, and highlight parts of it, then I think it is easier for me to look back through a paper book and find the part I am looking for.
    Other than that, I much prefer the Kindle. It is very lightweight, holds my whole library of books, and I can choose how bright it is, and even how large of type I want to be able to easily read .
    I can get library books using Overdrive, plus just looking at the Kindle Store on Amazon.
    I also have Prime Reading, and there is a whole library of free books and magazines on there, as well as the free Kindle First book that I can choose each month.
    After I read the book, I can just delete it if I don’t want to save it, and no longer have a stack of paperbacks that I have already read and want to give away or take back to the thrift store.
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

I grew up as an only child and spent a LOT of time at the library and I'm an avid reader still. We moved to a "mostly" senior community last year and there was a book club. I was excited to go and see what it was about. There were 5 of us and when I got the list of books they were going to read for the year, I wasn't interested in any of them. I haven't been back. I read what I like and don't want a "time limit" put on when I have to have a book read.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.