Collage.... merely tangible memories?

Collage.... merely tangible memories?

….in Philadelphia and my cabin in Alaska I have had an eye for personal art and in particular the collage that adorned those walls. Looking up the definition of collage one finds it 'officially' is the collection of various things to make a new piece of art. To me it is mostly a collection over the years of photographs representing important things in my life.....basically my life at a glance.

Few of us have a collage on the walls where we live but I think I can say that everyone is walking around with a collage of sorts in their pocket, their cell phone. Even I who shunned the use of a smart phone and its camera now have some pictures stored on it. I am sure most of you have a good number of 'important' pictures, but important to who?

I have been on a minimalist bent since moving to Texas so a few days ago I looked around the apartment with an eye to eliminate some more unnecessary “stuff”. It was then I realized that I have just about reached the point of not having any junk laying around, and that all the unnecessary stuff I have left was now personal 'memorabilia'. We all have stuff like that from the bride and groom off the top of our wedding cake to a flag from the casket of a deceased loved one
    Now those important things we keep don't have to be as monumental in our lives as a wedding or death but simply as mundane as a coffee cup from some exotic country we visited or a nice rock that caught our eye as we were on a new hike in the woods. Plus hundreds if not thousands of actual photographs taken before the digital camera was invented.

So what happens to all this 'stuff' when we too join the ranks of our long deceased relatives? I think we can get an idea of what happens by looking around ourselves and our family for memories passed down from generation to generation. Some people hold memories in high esteem and either carefully store them or reverently display them, whereas others put them in a box to be once again handed down until someone will open the box and not know why anyone bothered to save them.

A
    collage

or a picture
    is a frozen moment of our lives
    for us to revel in
    when we need
    the touch
    of
    past happiness

wall3.jpg

This reminds me of the phrase, ‘ Someone’s trash is someone else’s treasure.’ Not meaning that any of this is. It was written in regard to your post and how you worded it.
    If the wall of treasures is meaningful to you then that’s all that matters and clearly it is.

I think the Vikings were on the right track.

I worked in elderly care once - constant deaths and when the rellies came for effects they would sift through them pick out a few things that they thought were either valuable or meaningful and tell us to trash the rest - so we did the same! - Nice collection there Pete and if I were standing there with ya and asked you to tell me what you'd done over the past 20 years you could instantly in an interesting way by pictures.

I went to a young relatives funeral unfortunately last year and her cousin who was a whiz kid on pc's; audio-visuals etc had done a fantastic collage of photos displayed in usual settings and with a musical background and footnotes - all via pc - projector and white screen!

thanks Pete
    whenever I look at my glass of beer it's always half full - that's a good cue to top it up and just keep goin forward as usual - hate to see it empty!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbud View Post
    a collage of photos displayed in usual settings and with a musical background and footnotes - all via pc - projector and white screen!
    'gumbud' that form of personnel memorial is in fact now a way of business for some videographers.
    In fact I wouldn't mind editing one for myself
    Pete

In the neighborhoods the day before collection and you see the cleanouts(which the town forbids) but they try anyway and enough stuff tends to get picked up that they wind up taking it anyway. Others not so lucky. They cracked down so much that I'd say dumpster use has tripled in residential neighborhoods.

Some have so much to throw out when they clean up after a relative they wind up not sorting and that's when you get the good stuff. I've found usable tools among other things. And others will actually breakdown and disassemble usable furniture because they'll only take one piece of furniture per house so it looks like cans of junk.

That is a really nice idea to collect memories and such Gumbud. That’s a great idea and if done right looks so tasteful and classy with the music in the background.

This is a tough one because in order to get to this place one would have to think about this topic a lot. I think after a while it would get really depressing and think of all the negative affirmations you are initially sending to yourself. The mind is very powerful after all.

well how it happens in our neck of the woods is that one family member say a cousin has the audio/video skills and collects photos of the deceased person that have either been kept in albums or boxes and somehow transposes them to pc - the music I imagine should be easy to transpose but they do pick music that the deceased liked. so to put it all together needs a commitment; a skill and some time and the equipment which usually I think just consists of a pc and a scanner for the snapshots. the music is easily obtained from Utube.

but in my 'extended' family there is one person with those skills otherwise it probably wouldn't happen OR paying a professional to do it would be time consuming and costly. I remember having some old films years ago super8 and I took them to a small local business who transferred them onto video VHS and now I have no player and unless I go to Ebay can't even buy one!! technology is moving fast than we are!!

Pete can you do this technical stuff??
    whenever I look at my glass of beer it's always half full - that's a good cue to top it up and just keep goin forward as usual - hate to see it empty!

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I think the Vikings were on the right track.

I quite like this idea also but I can’t ever see me only having a boats worth of STUFF!

Quote Originally Posted by Keesha View Post
    I quite like this idea also but I can’t ever see me only having a boats worth of STUFF!
    well ya in the wrong continent then should be in the tombs in Egypt were you can take everything even servants!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keesha View Post
    I am quite sure that man standing in the water watching his relative/friend enter the hereafter on a funeral pyre with all his worldly goods
    retained something to remember him by.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.