Results 1 to 7 of 7

Ozzie zoos oppose Nestle products at their sites

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    329

    Ozzie zoos oppose Nestle products at their sites

    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...14&CMP=ema_632


    after the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) suspended Nestlé’s membership when the company failed to submit a 2016 progress report, and its 2017 report lacked a timetable for producing or buying certified sustainable palm oil.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    12,885
    Not the first time Nestle has been in trouble.
    I boycotted their products years ago over aggressive marketing of baby formula in third world countries.
    It was unconscionable.
    We still think of a powerful man as a born leader
    and a powerful woman as an anomaly - Margaret Atwood.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrigal View Post
    Not the first time Nestle has been in trouble.
    I boycotted their products years ago over aggressive marketing of baby formula in third world countries.
    It was unconscionable.
    Why is that so horrible?

    "aggressive marketing "...? Customers need to know the product is there , do they not ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Why is that so horrible?

    "aggressive marketing "...? Customers need to know the product is there , do they not ?
    Nestle's marketing of formula to poor, mostly uneducated women in third world countries involved (falsely) telling mothers that breast milk was somehow icky, formula was a superior food for their babies, and gifting them a fair amount of formula. Nature working the way it does, the mothers' breasts stopped producing milk. Commerce working the way it does, the mothers were no longer being given free formula and now had to find a way to pay for something that they actually never needed in the first place.

    Sort of like a pusher offering the first few tastes of an drug for free or low cost. Just long enough to create an addiction.

    That's what made Nestle's actions both horrible and unconscionable.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    Nestle's marketing of formula to poor, mostly uneducated women in third world countries involved (falsely) telling mothers that breast milk was somehow icky, formula was a superior food for their babies, and gifting them a fair amount of formula. Nature working the way it does, the mothers' breasts stopped producing milk. Commerce working the way it does, the mothers were no longer being given free formula and now had to find a way to pay for something that they actually never needed in the first place.

    Sort of like a pusher offering the first few tastes of an drug for free or low cost. Just long enough to create an addiction.

    That's what made Nestle's actions both horrible and unconscionable.

    Wasn't aware of all that...Thanks for the explanation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Wasn't aware of all that...Thanks for the explanation.
    You're very welcome.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    12,885
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Wasn't aware of all that...Thanks for the explanation.
    Not only that but the water quality was very poor and contained bacteria and parasites. Unless the bottles and water was boiled it resulted in infant deaths and the women, being poorly educated as well as poor tried to make the milk go further by diluting it too much, resulting in malnutrition. Nestle knew all of this but continued to push all mothers toward bottle feeding when evidence showed that they would have been better breast feeding until the child was about three. Breast feeding is also a natural contraceptive. When babies are weaned the mother is very likely to fall pregnant again and in third world countries this is not a good outcome.
    We still think of a powerful man as a born leader
    and a powerful woman as an anomaly - Margaret Atwood.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Do You Think Zoos, Circuses, Rodeos, etc. Are Entertainment or Animal Cruelty?
    By SeaBreeze in forum Current News and Hot Topics
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 01-19-2016, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2014, 04:24 PM
  3. Americans Still Oppose Lowering the Drinking Age
    By Davey Jones in forum Current News and Hot Topics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM
  4. Should Water Be Privatized...Nestle's CEO Seems to Think So
    By SeaBreeze in forum Current News and Hot Topics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 04:50 AM
  5. Useful Web Sites
    By Michael. in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum