Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Chinese Food dish

I am going to make it for dinner tomorrow.
    Love is a verb.

one of my all time favorites - hot and spicy is Prawns and Green Beans with Belachan - takes a bit of fiddling around and a pestle and mortar but the end result is delicious.d

a lovely fiery dish anytime of the day ! - boil up some rice - that's the easy part!

200g of beans - cut into 3cm lengths about as long as ya big toe!
    10 medium size prawns - shelled and deveined
    3tbs oil; 5 tbs of water; 1 tsp of sugar and salt

making the belachan paste

blend together in a mortar and pestle

6 shallots - peeled of course - stating the bleedin obvious!
    2 tbs of dried prawns soaked briefly in water - makes em swell!
    3 tbs chillie paste - wow! - between 1-3 depending on your palate!
    4 cloves of garlic - harmless
    half a tab off roasted belachan

1.heat oil in pan add belachan paste and stir until fragant - did you turn the heat on?

2.add beans, prawns and stir fry - couldn't find a packet of stir fry so just stirred!
    oh for 2 mins - add sugar and salt to taste

3. add 5 tbs of water and stir fry for 4 mins

4. serve with hot steaming rice

hint [ asparagus; eggplantor okra can be used in place of beans! or you could mix them all in - in appropriate proportions - do what ya want

but every yummy and spicy depending on how much chillie went in.

NB - a messy dish tp prepare but the result is just heavenly!

fiddle heh?

Looks good Camper! Good for you that you prepare meals for yourself instead of having a frozen TV dinner or fast food. Much healthier and more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbud View Post
    one of my all time favorites - hot and spicy is Prawns and Green Beans with Belachan - takes a bit of fiddling around and a pestle and mortar but the end result is delicious.d

a lovely fiery dish anytime of the day ! - boil up some rice - that's the easy part!

200g of beans - cut into 3cm lengths about as long as ya big toe!
    10 medium size prawns - shelled and deveined
    3tbs oil; 5 tbs of water; 1 tsp of sugar and salt

making the belachan paste

blend together in a mortar and pestle

6 shallots - peeled of course - stating the bleedin obvious!
    2 tbs of dried prawns soaked briefly in water - makes em swell!
    3 tbs chillie paste - wow! - between 1-3 depending on your palate!
    4 cloves of garlic - harmless
    half a tab off roasted belachan

1.heat oil in pan add belachan paste and stir until fragant - did you turn the heat on?

2.add beans, prawns and stir fry - couldn't find a packet of stir fry so just stirred!
    oh for 2 mins - add sugar and salt to taste

3. add 5 tbs of water and stir fry for 4 mins

4. serve with hot steaming rice

hint [ asparagus; eggplantor okra can be used in place of beans! or you could mix them all in - in appropriate proportions - do what ya want

but every yummy and spicy depending on how much chillie went in.

NB - a messy dish tp prepare but the result is just heavenly!

fiddle heh?

How many does that serve.?

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Sorry but I could hardly wait to eat it while it was still hot. I used to be a photographer and sold my photos as well.

This is a recipe forum not the photography forum.

I'm not selling the recipe. I'm eating it.
    Enjoy Camper. It looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Sorry but I could hardly wait to eat it while it was still hot. I used to be a photographer and sold my photos as well.

This is a recipe forum not the photography forum.

I'm not selling the recipe. I'm eating it.
    Camper 6, it looks delicious and now I have to go eat Chinese so you just cost me the price of lunch. I love to cook chinese but I love to eat Thai as well but never tried to cook it myself. I make good Asian soups and never follow any recipe rather I season it as it cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy64 View Post
    As a gourmet vegan chef who occasionally shoots his creations, I can tell you that there is an art to making food look its best, in pics. I'm sorry, but you need to work on acquiring the skills to shoot your dishes. That pic looks like the aftermath of worm removal surgery. To properly shoot it, bed the veggies on the noodles so the noodles are not so forward. Obscure the sauce with the veggies, as well, and use a leafy garnish to freshen things up. Also, crossed chopsticks, slid into the bed of noodles, will serve as a point of interest. The next time I shoot one of my stir-fry creations, I'll post it in this thread, if I think about it.
    Worm removal surgery? Really? You owe an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    Worm removal surgery? Really? You owe an apology.
    No. I stand by my post. No apology needed.

Obviously, I fully expect to get slammed, here, no matter what pic I post. Enjoy this sauteed green beans and pan-seared tofu on a bed of rice noodles on a bed of Injeras with garden grown Armenian cucumber slices, homegrown tomato halves, black olives and a strawberry topper to sweeten the finish. Bon appetit!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obviously, I fully expect to get slammed, here, no matter what pic I post. Enjoy this sauteed green beans and pan-seared tofu on a bed of rice noodles on a bed of Injeras with garden grown Armenian cucumber slices, homegrown tomato halves, black olives and a strawberry topper to sweeten the finish. Bon appetit!
    Well, since you are expecting to "get slammed," I'll just say that Camper's dish and photo look better to me. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    Well, since you are expecting to "get slammed," I'll just say that Camper's dish and photo look better to me. Enjoy.

I agree! The cucumber slices placed that way is something I'd do for a child.

I have eaten injera but that looks like a wet paper bag in the photo.

Just my opinion if we're being honest in this thread.

Pan seared tofu? I've never tried it oe injweas.

On the photography level? The lighting could be improved.

I think all these dishes look good. Vegans use a lot of tofu, and pan searing it (I usually use sesame oil) is a common prep. I've never had Injeras but looked it up (basically sourdough flatbread).

I'll likely try both of the vegan recipes, but using what I have around - which wouldn't include rice noodles, fried noodles or Injeras.

Treeguy, I think you were unnecessarily harsh in your criticism of the OP's presentation and photography. Not all of us are skilled photographers or food stylists - indeed some of the most attractively presented foods are the least tasty. Think homemade cakes and cookies versus commercial bakery offerings.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    I think all these dishes look good. Vegans use a lot of tofu, and pan searing it (I usually use sesame oil) is a common prep. I've never had Injeras but looked it up (basically sourdough flatbread).

I'll likely try both of the vegan recipes, but using what I have around - which wouldn't include rice noodles, fried noodles or Injeras.

Treeguy, I think you were unnecessarily harsh in your criticism of the OP's presentation and photography. Not all of us are skilled photographers or food stylists - indeed some of the most attractively presented foods are the least tasty. Think homemade cakes and cookies versus commercial bakery offerings.
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh. It's just that as soon as I saw the pic, I got a very sick feeling in my stomach, absolutely no lie. It truly looked, to me, like what I wrote, earlier, and won't repeat.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh. It's just that as soon as I saw the pic, I got a very sick feeling in my stomach, absolutely no lie. It truly looked, to me, like what I wrote, earlier, and won't repeat.
    That is funny.

When I eat cucumbers I burp all day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.