Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Just diagnosed with shingles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    471

    Just diagnosed with shingles


    It isn't too bad so far, & I think that what I recently had been diagnosed as costochronditis pain was early symptoms of shingles. Same nerve pathway area.i had the first vaccine several years ago & was postponing new ones due to cost. Was Rx Valcyclovir500 mg tid for 3 weeks. I feel so icky & contaminated. Feels like another setback to the improved mobility I keep working on after 3 surgeries in last 3 yrs. People tell me it's going to get worse before it gets better. My father had it when I was very young , but he was a very stoic person & it didn't leave much impression on me at the time. Any advice on how to cope would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Houston Y'all
    Posts
    2,293
    Did you get the anti-viral Rx? Take your meds and take it easy. Hopefully you will have a mild case since you had the older vaccine. I had them last December and still have occasional residual nerve pain in my arm. (I had them on the nerve path from my left shoulder and down my arm to my fingertips.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,722
    No advice.
    Sorry you are going through this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Houston, Tx.
    Posts
    2,267
    Very sorry you have shingles. No advice as I have had the vaccine and hope it protects me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    471
    Yes re antiviral med. Valacyclovir.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Houston Y'all
    Posts
    2,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezerette View Post
    Yes re antiviral med. Valacyclovir.
    Oh, OK. I didn't recognize that med, but I should have noticed the similar name to the Rx I took. I had two prescriptions: gabapentin and acyclovir. The gabapentin is for nerve pain and to prevent nerve damage. I think the worst thing about shingles is how long it lasts; usually from 6 weeks to several months. My pain level was manageable, but when the blisters dry up the ITCHING is horrible. Just a real party of a disease. I'm sorry that you have to deal with it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    4,674
    From People's Pharmacy:

    https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014...from-shingles/

    For future control, good to take L Lysine on a continual basis to prevent this virus. I've never had shingles, and don't get the vaccines but do supplement with L Lysine during the year.

    Read the comments at the end of the People's site.

    I suspect you did a lot of research for yourself already.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515
    I had them years ago when I was in my 20's...I just do not remember the RX for it? Have no words of wisdom....but wish you well for sure !!

    Where the hell so many of these things come from is a mystery for sure? And some folks go through life without a hitch.

    The mother of a friend lived 100 years 4 months ! In her entire life she claims to have taken but one aspirin. She had a headache , thought it might help?....she said once that it did indeed......she never had another headache in her life.

    I have known her since my teens...she is not prone to BS...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX.
    Posts
    669
    Don't see doctors, more than once every few years. If you go in for a check-up feeling great, rest assured they'll find something wrong with you, and you'll leave feeling bad. Of course, the meds they'll prescribe will also make you feel worse, and may (if you listen to those damned TV commercials) kill you!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    471
    Ill look into the lysine. I tried gabapentin a while back for nerve pain in my hands & it didn't seem to do anything. SIL swears by it for his back problems.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post

    I had them years ago when I was in my 20's...I just do not remember the RX for it? Have no words of wisdom....but wish you well for sure !!

    Where the hell so many of these things come from is a mystery for sure? And some folks go through life without a hitch.

    The mother of a friend lived 100 years 4 months ! In her entire life she claims to have taken but one aspirin. She had a headache , thought it might help?....she said once that it did indeed......she never had another headache in her life.

    I have known her since my teens...she is not prone to BS..

    Her lack of taking drugs that other people take routinely may have been her secret to success.

    The body's natural immune system protects us against disease. Obviously her immune system excelled in its duty.

    We should all be so blessed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezerette View Post
    Ill look into the lysine. I tried gabapentin a while back for nerve pain in my hands & it didn't seem to do anything. SIL swears by it for his back problems.
    I highly recommend CBD hemp oil once the shingles settles in

    As far as pain in your hands, and back pain, I recommend CBD hemp balm
    both made by GoGreen

    Some here have tried CBD oils/balm with no results, but some have found huge relief

    Sorry about yer shingles
    mine is in the post herpetic neurosis stage
    side of my face and inner ear
    the itching drives me nuts, but the pain has dulled greatly with the CBD oil

    I just need a tiny pitchfork to stick in my ear and twist for 20-30 minutes
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by treeguy64 View Post

    Don't see doctors, more than once every few years. If you go in for a check-up feeling great, rest assured they'll find something wrong with you, and you'll leave feeling bad. Of course, the meds they'll prescribe will also make you feel worse, and may (if you listen to those damned TV commercials) kill you!

    I'm with you.

    My career was in a medical related field. After decades working with for profit doctors and hospitals, I came to realize they are not the benevolent gods people often idolize... and that's especially true for drug companies. Have you noticed, along with all the ads for drugs there are also ads for attorneys who sue drug companies over their drugs' deadly side effects.

    .

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
    Her lack of taking drugs that other people take routinely may have been her secret to success.

    The body's natural immune system protects us against disease. Obviously her immune system excelled in its duty.

    We should all be so blessed.

    Exactly...her husband died @ 63 from cancer, she had 5 sons ,....2 of them has had & beat prostate cancer. 3 have so far dodged that bullet. The eldest brother is approaching 80....just a few health problems, nothing major.

    Weird how genetics work out ???

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    34,363
    Sorry to hear you have shingles Geezerette, no advice here for you, but I hope it doesn't get too bad. Don't know how helpful they are, but some natural remedy suggestions here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Friend Diagnosed With ALS
    By oldman in forum Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2017, 08:25 PM
  2. Diagnosed with Cancer
    By imp in forum Health
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-15-2017, 06:59 PM
  3. Cat diagnosed with terminal condition
    By debodun in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-25-2016, 07:32 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2016, 07:30 PM
  5. Shingles Anyone
    By teamrose in forum Health
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum