Anyone had a pinched sciatic nerve?

Anyone had a pinched sciatic nerve?

I have had one for about three weeks, It feels like itis getting better but man how long does it take. I have been to the chiropractora couple times and looked things up on line. now some days feels ok but now the pain is in the leg and it is hard to walk.

After a few different types of "cures" which did NO GOOD, I finally had a neural surgeon do a laminectomy on my spine and have had no trouble
    since.

If you are interested make SURE your MD doctor is a qualified neural surgeon (NOT some quack !)

Yes, my daughter in law. She went to an orthopedic surgeon and it was found she has scoliosis. She is undergoing PT and feels a little better. She still has a ways to go.

Yes I have. Years ago I was in a serious auto accident and I had pinched the sciatic nerve. Iíd already previously broken my tailbone which didnít heal properly so it was extremely painful. My arms and legs would go numb with pins and needles and I couldnít walk properly. My doctor put me on strong pain killers and that was it.

After a while I stopped taking the pain killers and went to a chiropractor. Yes it was slow healing but it DID heal.
    Before I could walk again I did balance ball exercise later which is using a large exercise ball to support weight and stretch.
    I started doing yoga and eventually went back to walking again.

One thing that helped a lot was hanging upside down over the couch to stretch out my back.
    Im not recommended it to you. It just worked for me and was such a relief when I did it.
    Epsom salts baths helped lots as well.
    While healing it will feel like 2 steps forward , 1 step back.

Good luck.
    I understand the pain.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Yep. No fun.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I've had intermittent bouts of this since a car accident at 16. The pain going down the leg can be excruciating. I have had very good success with treatment by a chiropractor. It all depends on what is causing the nerve pinch -- in my case it is/was an unstable sacroiliac joint, not a disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    After a few different types of "cures" which did NO GOOD, I finally had a neural surgeon do a laminectomy on my spine and have had no trouble
    since.

If you are interested make SURE your MD doctor is a qualified neural surgeon (NOT some quack !)
    I also had a lower Lam years ago. I went into surgery with horrible pain and when I came out of anesthesia I was totally pain free!!
    We are either growing or dying.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    I have had one for about three weeks, It feels like itis getting better but man how long does it take. I have been to the chiropractora couple times and looked things up on line. now some days feels ok but now the pain is in the leg and it is hard to walk.

Have you ever heard of the Piriformis muscle ? it is located deep in the buttock.

It can cause really severe pain[sciatica]

https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...oms-treatments

There are several stretches for it, that really helped me....But if you decide to try one [them]....go slowly.

The one that seemed to help me the most is actually pretty simple to perform.

Sit in a kitchen chair, cross your right leg over the other....ankle @ about the knee of the left leg. Take that leg [right] by grasping it at the knee with both hands, and pull it toward the opposite [left] shoulder. Do it slowly and do not hold your breath. Do the same with the left leg , ankle @ the knee, grasp the knee & slowly pull toward the right shoulder. Remember to keep breathing.

Alternate legs , maybe just twice each, the first time. And try to increase the range of stretch as the muscle loosens. maybe 2-3 times per day, over a day or so it should help..........remember to breath!

I am not a doctor....This is just what I do......google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Have you ever heard of the Piriformis muscle ? it is located deep in the buttock.

It can cause really severe pain[sciatica]

https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...oms-treatments

There are several stretches for it, that really helped me....But if you decide to try one [them]....go slowly.

The one that seemed to help me the most is actually pretty simple to perform.

Sit in a kitchen chair, cross your right leg over the other....ankle @ about the knee of the left leg. Take that leg [right] by grasping it at the knee with both hands, and pull it toward the opposite [left] shoulder. Do it slowly and do not hold your breath. Do the same with the left leg , ankle @ the knee, grasp the knee & slowly pull toward the right shoulder. Remember to keep breathing.

Alternate legs , maybe just twice each, the first time. And try to increase the range of stretch as the muscle loosens. maybe 2-3 times per day, over a day or so it should help..........remember to breath!

I am not a doctor....This is just what I do......google is your friend.
    thanks I have been doing that one and yes it helps and google is my friend once I got past I had cancer.

thanks I have been doing that one and yes it helps and google is my friend once I got past I had cancer.

You had cancer?.....

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    You had cancer?.....
    when I Googled leg pain it said cancer......no I never had just that is what the internet said it could be.

when I Googled leg pain it said cancer......no I never had just that is what the internet said it could be.

WoW...kinda missed the mark on that one didn't they?......But , more importantly glad you didn't have it.

I was diagnosed with arthritis and sciatica in my left hip/leg about 4 years ago...and the first thing out of the doctors mouth was "surgery". I am Not a fan of surgery or prescription drugs, so I explored some other options. I wound up buying one of these "inversion tables", and use it frequently...it helps "stretch" the muscles and vertebrae, and releases the tension on the nerves. Between using this device, and taking an occasional generic Aleve pill after a hard days work outdoors, I have managed to avoid getting sliced open or hooked on drugs. Over time, my condition seems to be much better, as the old body has begun to heal itself. Check one of these things out.....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FITNESS-R...pport/56274316
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    I was diagnosed with arthritis and sciatica in my left hip/leg about 4 years ago...and the first thing out of the doctors mouth was "surgery". I am Not a fan of surgery or prescription drugs, so I explored some other options. I wound up buying one of these "inversion tables", and use it frequently...it helps "stretch" the muscles and vertebrae, and releases the tension on the nerves. Between using this device, and taking an occasional generic Aleve pill after a hard days work outdoors, I have managed to avoid getting sliced open or hooked on drugs. Over time, my condition seems to be much better, as the old body has begun to heal itself. Check one of these things out.....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FITNESS-R...pport/56274316
    I join you in your line of thinking. This is the basic route I opted for and one reason why I faithfully do my yoga each morning.
    Good for you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.