Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The needy; the homeless? and the forgotten?

No one who could better themselves would choose to live on the streets. Ultimately, it destroys you.
    Love is a verb.

Al Capone's soup kitchen during the Great Depression, 1931

"Al Capone started one of the first soup kitchens. The kitchen employed a few people, but fed many more. In fact, preceding the passage of the Social Security Act, “soup kitchens” like the one Al Capone founded, provided the only meals that some unemployed Americans had. They rose to prominence in the U.S. during the Great Depression. One of the first and obvious benefits of a soup kitchen was to provide a place where the homeless and poor could get free food and a brief rest from the struggles of surviving on the streets".

My niece lives in downtown Houston and sees people on the corner begging for money for food. She started tossing them packets of peanut butter and cheese crackers. Most of them threw them back at her. She said she now just gives to the Star of Hope shelter like I do.

If somebody threw food at me that way, I'd toss it back too. These are people, not dogs.

When I see photos of the depression, it always amazes me the way they dressed. Here they are, down & out, & doing without, and yet so many [most] seem dressed up. Here these men are in a soup line & yet they have on a jacket , vest, & in many cases a tie. As well as an overcoat.

Perhaps there clothes represent all that they have?...&/or not knowing the weather ? I suppose it all might be keeping them warm?

In these photos, it seems to always be more men than women as well?....taking it home to the family maybe? Or perhaps I just have not seen enough of them?

I have noticed men wearing coat & tie in old photos of baseball games as well. Different times, different ways........

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    If somebody threw food at me that way, I'd toss it back too. These are people, not dogs.
    Absolutely. We are entitled to our dignity whether or not we live on the street.
    Love is a verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    If you were truly hungry ?....you might just say thanks & eat it too?

There was an interesting report on a TV programme about surplus food. Farmers and growers often (due to the vagaries of the market) have surplus fruit and vegetables. This has no commercial value, so is generally dumped. A number of voluntary organisations travel around farms and harvest the surplus crops which are then distributed amongst homeless shelters, refuges etc..
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.