Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

The needy; the homeless? and the forgotten?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaXplant View Post
    All greyhounds are dogs. Therefore, all dogs are greyhounds. At least the one I saw was.

"One is said to even have money in the bank." Mmhmm. A monthly deposit of his VA disability maybe...if true. And, of course, you know it's true because it's been "said."

Choose? Many homeless won't go to shelters because shelters can be even more dangerous than sleeping rough. A shelter is often a place where every small thing they own gets stolen from them by others in the shelter.

I do not know the personal business of either man, I only know what I have been told . Their situation was explained to us by a village police officer at a Legion meeting [actually preceding a picnic] regarding the men.

When approached about help they reportedly told two Legion volunteers that they did not want it. They just wanted to be left alone. The Legion board, polled the membership , [I'm a guest] and the vote was to do just that...leave them alone. The Legion has strong influence with the city council , as such the council decided to drop the issue.

As far as I know ? They are still there & some folks still drop off items for them.

Where I worked years ago we had a similar situation. One guy living at the back of the property , never bothered anyone. Many of us at work would drop supplies for him a fairly regular basis. I heard he did pass away....I've been retired 18 yrs, so?

As for.......

"Choose? Many homeless won't go to shelters because shelters can be even more dangerous than sleeping rough. A shelter is often a place where every small thing they own gets stolen from them by others in the shelter."

OK, so what?....do we put a police officer in the shelters 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post
    Wow. Many of us were/are not homeless by choice. Regardless of what mandate certain shelters have, the bottom line is, there are far fewer shelters than there are homeless. As for why you should care, what is the cost of compassion? Many

homeless are mentally ill, and unable to make effective choices about anything. A large number of homeless are vets. They protected our countries, came back shattered in mind and body, to our great shame, we have failed them.

OK...what's your solution? We [society] closed up the mental institutions because they were cruel. So what's the answer, again what's your solution ?

We going to buy them all a house?

As for the Vets?...I couldn't agree more but....there are many places & programs for them. But there are "strings attached" to most of it. And most of those "strings" involve , giving up alcohol, drugs & tobacco . Things they choose not to give up! And many require religious involvement that they do not want either.

I don't know, rpg, I kind of like my answer in the above note. I stand by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    I don't know, rpg, I kind of like my answer in the above note. I stand by it.
    And I like & stand by mine....And if they truly want help, they'll seek it.

Just a note...it's RGP.. How do I drop the "G" and just use RP ?

I forgot to mention a guy I'll call Jess.........

I was asked to come to the Legion early, to help move tables etc, for the car show. OK fine. I get there early. Jess comes over , asks me to help him move some lumber into his work shed [attached to the auxiliary] . I noticed a bed, in the shed. Neatly made, lamp above it ?? So I asked him about it. He said it was his? Told me that he 'lived' there in his work shed. He too was a Vet, no other home. The Legion let him live in there, and he had keys to the whole place, he was allowed all the food he wanted from the hall kitchen. His only restriction was no smoking in other than his shed [this was after it became an issue]. I asked if he needed anything. He said no not really, but he wouldn't refuse a bottle of bourbon either. So the next time I went down, I took him a bottle.

I asked him why he didn't just drink from behind the hall's bar? He said he would never steal from "these guys"

I came to find out, everyone 'knew' but it was a secret...LOL Guess that's why I didn't know....till that day.

I don't go down much anymore...[life changes]....I wonder if he's still there?

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Well since you've decided to go the insult direction...Here's mine....Drop your asinine approach and open you eyes.
    I agree with her approach. I have been homeless, worked with homeless for decades, continue to do so. I serve in the trenches. I have earned my “creds.” I am far from naive. I simply disagree with your approach. Psychologically speaking, not targeting any one person in particular, blame is a well known psychological defence

often employed by individuals in order to avoid interfacing with uncomfortable situations/people. I see it all the time. I also do not think Sunny intended her post to be insulting, but rather a passionate advocacy re the most unfortunate among us. ”In order to pull oneself up by the bootstraps, one must have boots.” Paraphrasing the great Martin Luther King.
    Love is a verb.

I am certainly not so deluded as to believe I hold the key to conquering homelessness. However, I do know that treating them as discards, or assuming it is their fault when so often it is not, is both immoral and cruel. Last I read, there are at least 500,000 homeless kids in America, can’t find reliable stats for same in Canada. Horrifying. For those of us who work with

marginalised people, it is particularly frustrating to deal with harsh attitudes from people not so afflicted. For example. There are so many women and or kids escaping domestic abuse, and not enough shelters, not enough safety in many shelters. There is no quick fix. It is a

limited picture when one conflates the majority of homelessness with poor choices, addiction, even mental illness. For many without an adequate financial cushion, life can crash quickly. Many people are fortunate enough to be able to have a large degree of control over their lives, many are not. Life is not black and white. Until we figure out a way to effectively deal with poverty and other societal ills, the only ethical course is one of compassion, even if it offers no final solution.
    Love is a verb.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.