Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My Final Resting Place Is Paid For

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I'm claustrophobic. I do want to be cremated but don't want to be in an urn. Of course, I know that my ashes won't be me, but nevertheless. Scattered somewhere. Not in the ocean. I do NOT like thinking about being in the depths of the ocean--cold and no sunshine or trees,. etc. I'll have to think about it.
    I'm with you...NO scattering my ashes on water of any kind! I'm scared to death of water and never learned how to swim (I think I drowned in a past life...haha) and the kids know my wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    I'm with you...NO scattering my ashes on water of any kind! I'm scared to death of water and never learned how to swim (I think I drowned in a past life...haha) and the kids know my wishes.
    Yes, I totally understand.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkay View Post
    I recently purchased my plot and my gravestone is being prepared as I write this. I am going to be cremated but didn't really want to be scattered (for fear that my ashes might mingle with my ex husbands since he will be scattered). This is a very windy state. I kind of like having my own "space" so to speak. I would love to see the looks on the faces of future grave diggers when they dig me up and find only ashes in the funeral home box, not even a fancy urn that can be sold. Anyway, my ex husband died earlier this year. He was only 69 and it was completely unexpected. Our daughter has been trying to deal with probate, locating his accounts, settling his accounts. He said he wanted to be cremated and scattered but gave no indication as to where. It has really created some stress for her so his ashes are still in a box on her mantle where they have been for six month. So my advice is to talk to your children and do as much pre-planning as possible, unless of course you want to make things absolutely miserable for your children.
    Years ago when my mother asked my grandmother what she wanted for her burial arrangements, my grandmother said, "Do whatever you want with me, but DON'T bury me next to your father!" She was most adamant that she didn't want to be lying next to him for eternity. So we just had her name chiseled on the double headstone and scattered her ashes on her parent's graves in another state and also scattered them on the family farm where she was born and grew up.

My grandfather never gave my grandmother much peace when he was alive and I guess she was afraid he was never going to let her rest in death......
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    Years ago when my mother asked my grandmother what she wanted for her burial arrangements, my grandmother said, "Do whatever you want with me, but DON'T bury me next to your father!" She was most adamant that she didn't want to be lying next to him for eternity. So we just had her name chiseled on the double headstone and scattered her ashes on her parent's graves in another state and also scattered them on the family farm where she was born and grew up.

My grandfather never gave my grandmother much peace when he was alive and I guess she was afraid he was never going to let her rest in death......
    That's sad...and funny....at the same time. Hopefully, now, she's finally resting in peace

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I'm claustrophobic. I do want to be cremated but don't want to be in an urn. Of course, I know that my ashes won't be me, but nevertheless. Scattered somewhere. Not in the ocean. I do NOT like thinking about being in the depths of the ocean--cold and no sunshine or trees,. etc. I'll have to think about it.
    I read one person had her ashes mixed in with the food for her cats! I wonder if she thought about being in a cat litter box and then in to a garbage can.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    I read one person had her ashes mixed in with the food for her cats! I wonder if she thought about being in a cat litter box and then in to a garbage can.
    That's just gross and kind of sick...poor cats!

Cremation for me and the hubs. The ashes of whoever dies first will be held until the other passes. Then our ashes will be commingled and scattered in some of our favorite places. Some in the ocean, some next to my Mom, GM and baby sister in my primary family's cemetery plot, and who knows where we'll decide we want other bits to go. No prepaid planning - there will be ample funds in our estate to cover whatever final arrangements and memorial event (or whatever) that our children choose.

p.s. I think the planet's land should be reserved for current and future generations rather than being occupied in perpetuity by those who have already had our turn here.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Congratulations to you who have taken care of your final arrangements, no matter the method. For those who haven't, hope you don't leave your loved ones (or whoever) scrambling to make arrangements. Muslims believe one must be interred but if that was not the case and I chose cremation, I would definitely want my ashes to be scattered over the ocean.

Mine is just a matchbook away.
    If you obey all the rules, you’ll miss all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    mine is just a matchbook away.
    lol

My wife and I prepaid the Neptune Society for our arrangements six years ago. And we've told everyone who matters that we don't want any type of service. Heck, if nobody knows I'm gone, it's like living forever, right? Ha!

A simple,cremation all paid for to make things easier for my daughter when the time comes

Also have cremation and service prepaid; urn to be placed beside my late husband's.
    It is the prerequisite of many senior residences to have this in place.

My father bought cemetery plots, but both my sister and I moved to Florida. After our mother passed she was buried next to our father. My sister and I sold the remaining plots back to the cemetery. My wife and I have opted for cremation and our ashes are to be scattered in the gulf.

Being avid hikers, my wife and I have opted to have our ashes scattered in the mountains. When my granddaughter asked me how she would find our final resting place and spend time with us, I did not have an answer. She enjoys visiting grave sites of relatives. It makes her feel closer to her family.

After a lot of thought and discussions with other people opting for cremation, I created a public website so that the exact scattered ashes site of a loved one can be marked on a google map. Now my granddaughter feels much better knowing that she can always find us. And I feel better knowing I didn't let her down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.