Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What in nature has a calming effect on you? Do you find some things upsetting?

I love nearly all nature has to offer. Water (lakes, ponds, rivers, oceans etc) is calming. I love birds, wild flowers, trees, animals. I love hearing coyotes sing and watching prairie dogs play. Even critters like tarantulas, lizards, turtles are interesting to watch. The only things I really dislike are mosquitoes, horse flies, fire ants, hornets, some wasps...anything that is aggressive and out for my blood. I find weather events to be interesting but sometimes kind of violent and frightening(baseball sized hail, tornados, floods, etc) I love to watch meteor showers. Some sunrises and sunsets are stunning to see.

Almost any of nature's wonders work for me. Walking through the redwoods in northern California was like being all alone in a huge cathedral.

setting at the beach in the evening or walking thru the woods has a calming effect for me

I know it sounds simple; but just the blue sky does it for me. I think of the sky above my house as being my property and I love to look up at the sky through the trees in my back yard. Peek out the back door look up and instant peace.
    Sarah

Quiet falls such as this. Beede's Falls in Sandwich Notch, New Hampshire. Shaded, quiet, and you can stand under the lip of the falls. When I was a child, my family and I used to visit here when on vacation back in the 1950's. The road to the Falls was dirt back then and was still dirt in 2016 when my wife and I paid a visit.

I love lying in bed listing to a steady rainfall. I find it calming. I do enjoy a violent thunderstorm (so long as it is not distructive). My favorite childhood memory is being told that when it thundered, the angels were bowling, and the lightening flash was either a strike or God taking their picture, depending on who told the tale.
    Don't Stop Believing

I love to play in the sky flying a small aerobatic rental airplane in a traffic free sky area.

Can't do much of it now though. Costs too much for me. My Uncle Sam used to treat me but not any more.

Thunderstorms and the clean ozone air that comes before them.

Also beer. I think that's natural.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Quiet falls such as this. Beede's Falls in Sandwich Notch, New Hampshire. Shaded, quiet, and you can stand under the lip of the falls. When I was a child, my family and I used to visit here when on vacation back in the 1950's. The road to the Falls was dirt back then and was still dirt in 2016 when my wife and I paid a visit.
    Lovely, me like very much.

I love the sounds of water in its various forms, rain falling as others mentioned is wonderful too. Listening to it while lying in bed is quite a delight. In my youth, I loved taking walks and running in the rain. I still like the feel of it dropping on me and I won't rush to get in the door if I don't have packages.

I agree Marie, the sound is very calming
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

When I'm having a lovely dream about a beautiful woman, then my sleep is interrupted by the need to go to the loo.......that upsets me.....but when I return to bed and resume my dream and the beautiful woman is still there.....that 'calms' me.....well maybe not 'calms' me....more like excites me.....I'll stop now......

I’m fortunate enough to live by the sea and the sound of gentle waves lapping as the tide comes in always calms me

A long walk in the woods use to do it for me.
    Now, earphones on, listening to nice music.
    I have a lot of growing up to do. I realized it the other day in my fort.....

ch1.jpg

A walk along the nearby channelside does it for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.