America's Most Expensive States to Live In

Arrow America's Most Expensive States to Live In

The most expensive states to live in are New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, Oregon, Alaska, New York, Massachusetts, California and Hawaii. Full article about these states here.

There are some places in America where you can expect to pay a premium on everything — from food to your fuel bill. Out-of-control living expenses in some of these places may make it difficult for you and your family to enjoy the best possible quality of life.

Each year, as part of CNBC’s exclusive America’s Top States for Business study, we consider Cost of Living as one of our key categories of competitiveness. That is because companies seeking to recruit the best possible workforce know that low costs can be a great way to attract talent.

We rank all 50 states based on an index of basic items including average home and food prices, monthly energy bills and health costs. That gives us not only the cheapest states to live in but also the most expensive ones.

Here are the 10 states that will cost you the most, along with prices for some basic items in each state’s most expensive area.
    (Price data is based on the 2017 Annual Average Cost of Living Index by the Council for Community and Economic Research, C2ER.)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    The most expensive states to live in are New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, Oregon, Alaska, New York, Massachusetts, California and Hawaii. Full article about these states here.
    States are huge and trying to look at costs by states is nothing more than click bait . There is a big difference between nyc and some rural towns up state

My brother lives in Rye,NY which is in Westchester County
    Every year when I visit him&family,I'm surprised by how much more expensive prices are then here in Buffalo.When I go into local grocery or drug store,look at tube of toothpaste as an example and see the price,I say to myself'this is highway robbery,I'm not paying that' LOL! Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

My son is in rye brook .it is right near there . Westchester is very expensive . His taxes are about 20k and day care 30k. But you get far more for your money house wise and there is no nyc income tax . He is an attorney in Manhattan.

the company I worked for has locations in Buffalo ,auburn and Syracuse . Pay is so much lower as well ,than Long Island for the same jobs

I grew up in Westchester, didn't seem any more expensive than most other places till I came of age and had to start paying my own bills. I've lived all around Westchester county, last was New Rochelle, 2005 or 06 I move away. First was Bedford Hills age 10. Bedford Hills area, I move there under the best of circumstances, but it was a great area to grow up, I have a lot of fond summer and winter memories of the area..

My son was living in Scarsdale in westchester. That is in the top 3 most expensive towns to live in ,in the country. He sold an 1800 sq ft home last month for a million. He got a 4000 sq ft home in rye brook for 1.1 million. That shows you how life from one town to another , not only within the same state but in different towns can vary.

Alaska??? It's expensive to live in Alaska? Who wants to live in Alaska?
    Don't get me wrong, it's stunningly beautiful to observe in it's own dark (half the year) and frigid way

Quote Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
    My son was living in Scarsdale in westchester. That is in the top 3 most expensive towns to live in ,in the country. He sold an 1800 sq ft home last month for a million. He got a 4000 sq ft home in rye brook for 1.1 million. That shows you how life from one town to another , not only within the same state but in different towns can vary.
    Scarsdale is definately one of the top towns in Westchester, but there are quite a few, There are quite a few prominent families who live in New Rochelle, The Clintons were looking at homes in the area, of course not in my immediate vicinity, I didn't have any money to live but in the central area, me too poor. The Clitons finally settled on Chappaqua. but per capita, Scarsdales was way up there.

I had college friends who resided in Scarsdale and business associates. Many of the people I knew from the area were modest about their money.

This is why articles like this are just click bait . They really are not informative at all. We have people living on just ss here and in nyc . Lifestyle and expenses are what you make of them .many live here golden girl style and they get by with just ss

This is why articles like this are just click bait . They really are not informative at all. We have people living on just ss here and in nyc . Lifestyle and expenses are what you make of them .many live here golden girl style and they get by with just ss
    I think what they are speaking of are average expenses, many of the people living on SS, get subsidies, live in rent controlled housing and so on. When you calculate the overall cost of living, it really does live up to what the articles are saying. There are whole neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are subsidized and you wouldn't guess who the tenants are, these places get passed on from generation to generation.

I moved from several places where I was able to cut my expenses in half. some 15 years ago when I left NY and moved to Florida, my rent expense dropped two thirds years later, I moved to an area in Florida, where after two years the cost of living blew up more than 30%. Over the six years I was in that particular area, namely Sarasota. I went from paying about $700 to $1000 in rent in that six year period. BTW, that still was less than what my rent was when I left NY some 15 years earlier.

You can find moderately priced neighborhoods mixed in with exclusive areas in any state, but, the articles like these are just stating which ones are likely to cost you the most to live in and I can tell you unless you are a high earner don't bother moving to NY unless you want to live in a crummy neighborhood. You will have to have roommates to afford most of the rents if you aren't making a very good income. But then again, that depends on what one considers a crummy area too.

Personally I find all these what does it cost or how much do I need articals a waste of time and usually written by writers who are just interested in generating headlines that get clicks.

Personally I find all these what does it cost or how much do I need articals a waste of time and usually written by writers who are just interested in generating headlines that get clicks.

LOL! Guess what, we clicked, if not on the link, on this thread to read what it was about. I figured NY would be in there, I just wondered if Florida would be in there, but, I still haven't clicked on the link to find out, I'm too busy running my mouth responding to post in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Alaska??? It's expensive to live in Alaska? Who wants to live in Alaska?
    Don't get me wrong, it's stunningly beautiful to observe in it's own dark (half the year) and frigid way
    I could not live there either!!

I know someone who moved from Florida, to Alaska.. been there decades, and loves it...

Just goes to show, it wouldn't do for everyone to like the same things..

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.