Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

snowbirding

Quote Originally Posted by squatting dog View Post
    I should clarify. when I say their higher, it's because of a few differences. My Fl. house was an older 2 bed small house on a 1/4 acre lot. My Ar. house is sitting on 38 acres and is considerably larger and newer. tax here in Ar is 900 a year... but, I can minus the 350 homestead, so it's only 550. I really shouldn't complain because I know a lot of people pay wayyyy more than me.
    LOL, yes- like me, in CT

Quote Originally Posted by squatting dog View Post
    I should clarify. when I say their higher, it's because of a few differences. My Fl. house was an older 2 bed small house on a 1/4 acre lot. My Ar. house is sitting on 38 acres and is considerably larger and newer. tax here in Ar is 900 a year... but, I can minus the 350 homestead, so it's only 550. I really shouldn't complain because I know a lot of people pay wayyyy more than me.
    I would be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY if my property taxes were only $900 a year!!!

I am getting so discouraged. I really thought I had things figured out. I am at a point I do not know what direction to go in and am affraid I am just destined to be in the cold forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    I am getting so discouraged. I really thought I had things figured out. I am at a point I do not know what direction to go in and am affraid I am just destined to be in the cold forever.
    It's definitely hard to figure a direction. We went through something similar. kept our Arkansas house and bought a Florida one hoping to snowbird. It was not what we had hoped. Florida was way too humid, bug infested, and... surprise! it gets cold (20's) and frosty too. (at least that keeps the gator somewhat in check) I finally figured one had to get miles below Tampa in order to avoid the cold. Of course, most people also figured this out and by default, drove up the prices. Tack on the new flood maps (which now include drainage ditches and retention ponds), and all of a sudden, getting flood insurance became very expensive if you could get it at all. We love riding motorcycles, but, there isn't a week go by in Fl. where there is a fatality due to careless or negligent driving. For years, I played dodge-em with texters, cell phoner's, seniors in huge old cars that were forever hitting the gas instead of the brake by mistake, and left turn people before finally having enough. In all our travels around this great nation, I have realized that there is no perfect spot. Now, we stay put in Ar. and in the dead of winter we take our rv and head to the desert. This lifestyle isn't for everyone, but, we found it fit's us just fine. Take care and good luck in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Yes, insurance rates are very high in FL. But there's no property tax, so that may offset the higher insurance premium. Some companies won't even sell insurance there at all.
    There is property tax, I paid $581 property tax last November. There is no income tax.

I have lived in Florida for a total of 30 years, in that time I have known a lot of snowbirds. Like all of us, they too age, as time passes they tire of maintaining 2 homes, and usually sell the one where they keep the snow shovel.

Go to http://thevillages.com. Call them and they will fill you in. About 40% of our residents are snow birds and there are plenty of nearby places to keep your RV until you need it. In fact they had to get more space to accommodate the number of snowbirds we have. There are two just on my block with RVs.
    If you obey all the rules, you’ll miss all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Go to http://thevillages.com. Call them and they will fill you in. About 40% of our residents are snow birds and there are plenty of nearby places to keep your RV until you need it. In fact they had to get more space to accommodate the number of snowbirds we have. There are two just on my block with RVs.
    I talked with The Villages today. They told me they have no RV sites? She is sending me an info packet and DVD. I will see what its all about, but I did a quick homes for sale search, and I am seeing nothing but full sized 2 and 3 bedroom home, I was hoping to find someplace that offered small park models or something close.

I have talked to people that say to get a park model in a park noeth of Tampa to keep cost down. Does anybody have any recommendations as what to look at for this?

I lived 40 miles north of Tampa. Nice area but, keep in mind that it does get cold at times. (though not like up north cold) Definitely less expensive than the southern part.
    I've got to say that it's mighty relaxing bobbing around in the Gulf, especially at night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I talked with The Villages today. They told me they have no RV sites? She is sending me an info packet and DVD. I will see what its all about, but I did a quick homes for sale search, and I am seeing nothing but full sized 2 and 3 bedroom home, I was hoping to find someplace that offered small park models or something close.
    Have you given any thought to making Florida or the south your permanent residence and keeping a camper/RV in a park on the water up north?

I know three people that have done that with what appears to be good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Have you given any thought to making Florida or the south your permanent residence and keeping a camper/RV in a park on the water up north?

Bea, I think this is an excellent idea. My father in law lived in Inverness and was always on the water.
    Bill, take a look around in the area of Crystal River. Don't know if you could find a place ON the water but it is still worth a look see. You should still take a look at Dale Hollow for lake property OR to use Bea's advice of a campground.

my head is spinning, I don't know what direction to go in! Man, I thought I had it all figured out

my head is spinning, I don't know what direction to go in! Man, I thought I had it all figured out
    There's gold in them thar hills!!

0801280147351gold_in_t.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Aunt Bea, you just described what the wife and I do. Have and older r/v in a park up north, and a medium size double wide in Florida. Our taxes are $330 a year. Next year will our 20th year doing this. Will be selling our camper and live in Florida in the near future.
    Very seldom see the roaches and snakes anymore. Home is protected by a bug service and we pay a friend $100 a year to check on our home twice a week. It works out great for us. Feel free to pm me if you need anything I can help you with.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, there's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.