Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 73

Living alone have family and friends but very alone

  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Just look to the bottom right side of the post you want to answer, click on reply with a quote, at the end of the quoted, make your comments and post.
    Didn't see my ans, so am trying again!thank you

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    20
    very similar here for me also- most are deceased, somehow I think no one cares ...about older folks..

    some of it I am sure is on me since I deeply resent how ignorant and disrespectful most are..instead of me being open and receptive I am grumpy. but damn if you ever try and network with them...they just annoy you into despair --it is disheartening-and cant find any older folks that are interesting, positive, and non toxic either --

    my favorites are the ones that completely reject any and all technology. that to is a challenge, but keeps me, so far anyway, out of the dementia line...not sure for how long but so far...

    and for me, I notice I make it worse with my attitude that I continually try to prop up --it really is helpful to project a cheerful carefree attitude at the store, etc -it rubs off on others and it is returned at least for a short time and on that particular outting ..so it seems to me.
    I actually have some quite humorous remarks to make to myself, along with responses about other drivers-- morons at walmart etc. so I entertain myself and frankly better company than the morons at wally- semi sad, but necessary I suppose.

    was it Lincoln who said "I suppose we are about as happy as we make our minds up to be when we get out of bed in the morning"...so all in all ...despite not giddy, pretty content- healthy, enough to eat etc- good nuff.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Posts
    399
    So much posted here I can relate to and going thru myself.....my grown daughter has always lived far away, her choice for college and jobs...she's now living and working in Cambodia with human poverty and education issues....so very proud of her and used to her lifestyle, but we were never close...
    My grown son lives an hour away, married with two little ones, a fulltime job and lots of responsibilities on him.....and Im in poor health also but they do keep in touch by email, chats and phone calls when they can....dont think the younger ones really understand how growing older, not being able to do the things we used to, and yearning to hear from them and visiting more with them would mean to us....they will only understand when they get older, just like some of us never got it at their age.....I'm one of them and moved away from home at 21 and never moved back closer permanently....I realize now how my parents missed me and stayed concerned for me all the time....
    This is my confession and feeling better already and yes, this site gives us a place to air it out, then take a deep breath of relief for the moment....

    Hope you're doing much better MorningGlory and you too Paxton as this site is a great 'talking it out' avenue for all of us

    Goodbye July, hello hot month of August.....

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningglory View Post
    Living alone with health problems are very hard sometimes, I don't like to ask for help , everyone has their busy life's to live, thanks to a daughter that takes me to my appointments but no time in between, another daughter has family and very busy, another daughter that lives 1800 miles away and no contact, my son the youngest was killed 11 yrs ago this past July 5 .. I miss him every day he had more time for me then the girls, so life gets very lonely, have 9 grandchildren never see but 2 of them rarely.
    Why does getting old have to hurt .
    I hear you! I am also very lonely.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    474
    do people get mad with you when you ask the same question twice?they do me they always say (you already asked me that)

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningglory View Post
    No problem, there are things we have to take care of in our Dailey lives..what a wonderful thing you are doing, I'm sure they are appreciated, your husband is on chemo, I wish him well in his recovery..the ombré yarn I'm guessing is more expensive, if I had a special request to make one for someone I would definatley invest in getting it, I have so much left over yarn, I'm trying to use up whenever I get in the mood again, what are all the patterns you have made, the ripple was the first afghan I learned to make, I like maki g the c2c it goes pretty fast, mileaminute goes fast too.

    ,
    Thank you! The Ombre is about $8 or $9 give or take around here and it is a much bigger skein, 10 oz., than the old kind. It averages out about the same price when you consider you're getting more per skein with the higher price. I have been stuck on doing the ripple and really haven't tried anything else. This one keeps me happy especially since I'm giving them to other people. Yes, they love them. I received so many hugs and the smiles on their faces made me ready to just go purchase more yarn and do it again! No, he passed away about 5 years ago. I started doing this while he was taking chemo. and it was a good pastime for me.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    do people get mad with you when you ask the same question twice?they do me they always say (you already asked me that)
    Is it anger they are displaying?...or frustration maybe? I think as with many aging problems, if the others are younger, or even older and never had any problems, they just do not understand. Just like when we move slower, they still have a more youthful mobility, so to them we are annoying.

    So in your case [short term memory problem] ?...they don't understand, because they have not experienced it. And may never.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by PopsnTuff View Post
    So much posted here I can relate to and going thru myself.....my grown daughter has always lived far away, her choice for college and jobs...she's now living and working in Cambodia with human poverty and education issues....so very proud of her and used to her lifestyle, but we were never close...
    My grown son lives an hour away, married with two little ones, a fulltime job and lots of responsibilities on him.....and Im in poor health also but they do keep in touch by email, chats and phone calls when they can....dont think the younger ones really understand how growing older, not being able to do the things we used to, and yearning to hear from them and visiting more with them would mean to us....they will only understand when they get older, just like some of us never got it at their age.....I'm one of them and moved away from home at 21 and never moved back closer permanently....I realize now how my parents missed me and stayed concerned for me all the time....
    This is my confession and feeling better already and yes, this site gives us a place to air it out, then take a deep breath of relief for the moment....

    Hope you're doing much better MorningGlory and you too Paxton as this site is a great 'talking it out' avenue for all of us

    HiPopsnYuff, yes I do relate to most of what you discribe here, and on other messages, like not realizing how my mom must have felt, we being young have no experience until we are in their shoes what it feels like, so sad, hurts like h... I too moved away at a earlier age, never visited much or called, she got sick 1 mo. before she died, but I was there for her then not knowing it was so fast. I find myself in almost the same position of being alone like her, she never learned to drive so she totally depended on her children, which was hardly ever to get away from the house, my family took her on vac with us to Manitoba Canada 1yr and she loved it,
    So I guess this is my confession too, wish I would have done it differently but we can't go back in time.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    I hear you! I am also very lonely.
    HI Lin, I hope you will find this group comforting as I have, just reading some of the messages makes me know I'm not so alone and going mad, just expressing how you feel here may also help you. I will keep you in my prayers!

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    I hear you! I am also very lonely.
    Yes my grown kids say it to me all the time, Lin, pfffftt....

    Goodbye July, hello hot month of August.....

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningglory View Post
    HiPopsnYuff, yes I do relate to most of what you discribe here, and on other messages, like not realizing how my mom must have felt, we being young have no experience until we are in their shoes what it feels like, so sad, hurts like h... I too moved away at a earlier age, never visited much or called, she got sick 1 mo. before she died, but I was there for her then not knowing it was so fast. I find myself in almost the same position of being alone like her, she never learned to drive so she totally depended on her children, which was hardly ever to get away from the house, my family took her on vac with us to Manitoba Canada 1yr and she loved it,
    So I guess this is my confession too, wish I would have done it differently but we can't go back in time.
    Your story sounds so much like mine MG except my mom had my dad to care for her....he was healthy as a horse and lived to 96....she passed at 80....and like you, she was the one to get in touch with me while I lived away.....I wasnt there either during all her illnesses except once after she had her third stroke and my dad broke his hip, both at the same time.....I went up to Jersey for a month and cared for both of them with my married brother's help.....I was a wreck physically and mentally....to top it off, my son was in Iraq so the stress was unbelievable.....

    Goodbye July, hello hot month of August.....

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    474
    i always said i would never live with my kids--here i am stuck --i have tried to find a place to rent but i cant afford the rent--there is no privacy here what so ever--i sleep in the living room on the sofa--while my son in law hogs the 2 extra bedrooms for his hobbies- my clothes are folded up on a rack in the laundry room-ive been here 7 years and cant find a place-i have a lot of yarn that is all piled up behind my recliner-oh well it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer

  13. #58
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningglory View Post
    Living alone with health problems are very hard sometimes, I don't like to ask for help , everyone has their busy life's to live, thanks to a daughter that takes me to my appointments but no time in between, another daughter has family and very busy, another daughter that lives 1800 miles away and no contact, my son the youngest was killed 11 yrs ago this past July 5 .. I miss him every day he had more time for me then the girls, so life gets very lonely, have 9 grandchildren never see but 2 of them rarely.
    Why does getting old have to hurt .
    Good Morning every one

  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    i always said i would never live with my kids--here i am stuck --i have tried to find a place to rent but i cant afford the rent--there is no privacy here what so ever--i sleep in the living room on the sofa--while my son in law hogs the 2 extra bedrooms for his hobbies- my clothes are folded up on a rack in the laundry room-ive been here 7 years and cant find a place-i have a lot of yarn that is all piled up behind my recliner-oh well it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer
    Hi Twinkles, I've said I don't want to live with my children, if I didn't own my home I would ha e to except it like it or not because I couldn't pay rent either, not on ss. , does sil have to have 2 bedrooms, maybe daughter can convince him to let you have one? For 7 yrs sleeping on sofa is not very comfortable, especially if you have had back problems, and I do, ....do you crochet? Wish I could give you some good advice but I can't, have you looked into seniors apartments, we have one here for 360 a mo you pay all utilities ...Good luck

  15. #60
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilSun View Post
    Thank you! The Ombre is about $8 or $9 give or take around here and it is a much bigger skein, 10 oz., than the old kind. It averages out about the same price when you consider you're getting more per skein with the higher price. I have been stuck on doing the ripple and really haven't tried anything else. This one keeps me happy especially since I'm giving them to other people. Yes, they love them. I received so many hugs and the smiles on their faces made me ready to just go purchase more yarn and do it again! No, he passed away about 5 years ago. I started doing this while he was taking chemo. and it was a good pastime for me.
    Hello AprilSun you are welcome, ok that's good to know.. I'm very sorry about your husband, how big do you make to donate.? I'm sure they are beautiful. Do you have a faverate ombré color

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. God bless my family and friends
    By Pappy in forum Family & Relationships
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-25-2016, 09:54 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-09-2016, 04:59 PM
  3. Last DVD For Friends And Family
    By Dee64 in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-19-2016, 05:53 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-16-2016, 09:24 AM
  5. What do you talk about with friends and family?
    By Athos in forum Family & Relationships
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum