Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Living alone have family and friends but very alone

hey morninglory---there is no way old greedy son in law will give up his space---yes i do crochet i make shoulder warmers for the nursing home and lap blankets--i also make hats for the homeless and needy--i have an addi turbo knitting machine so i can make a hat in 30 minutes i also make scarves on it--i have checked on the senior apartments but their is a long waiting list-i havent used the ombre yarn but i have used bernat pop which i like but it is 5$ a skein

Quote Originally Posted by Morningglory View Post
    Hello AprilSun you are welcome, ok that's good to know.. I'm very sorry about your husband, how big do you make to donate.? I'm sure they are beautiful. Do you have a faverate ombré color
    Thank you! I really do appreciate you being so kind. The size I make is 30 wide x 64 long. I asked my husband to be my pattern when it came to size. I wanted everyone able to cover up if they wanted to and he enjoyed so much! As for favorite colors, they are all so pretty it's hard to decide.

Okay, then, boys and girls! I know I've been whiny and complained from time to time about being lonely and living under the same roof as my daughter and her family. Shame on me! At least I have:

*Fairly decent health; I only take meds for BP and cholesterol. I'm ambulatory and able to do heavy, physical work in my flower garden.
    *My own self-contained, totally separate apartment which includes my own entrance. Tiny, yes, but separate and private.
    *A dependable car so that I can come and go as it suits me. I'm mobile.
    *If I crave contact with another carbon-based unit of the human sort, I can step across the hall and "bother" my daughter. She works from home so I really hesitate to wander over there unless invited. When she's not slammed with deadlines, she comes over here to chat, invites me to go grocery shopping with her, etc. Or I can "bother" my son, who also works from home and lives about 30 miles south. They both insist that I'm not bothering them, but I do try to be mindful of their 8-5 M-F workdays.
    *And, after having to put my kitty down last fall, I've adopted a shelter kitty...so have a carbon-based unit of the furry sort for company and comfort.

All in all, I'm darned blessed and lucky. My son and his partner came over to visit today and took me to lunch. Next time I post here and get whiny and have a pity party going on, y'all please refer me to this post.
    Retired. Nowhere to go and plenty of time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    hey morninglory---there is no way old greedy son in law will give up his space---yes i do crochet i make shoulder warmers for the nursing home and lap blankets--i also make hats for the homeless and needy--i have an addi turbo knitting machine so i can make a hat in 30 minutes i also make scarves on it--i have checked on the senior apartments but their is a long waiting list-i havent used the ombre yarn but i have used bernat pop which i like but it is 5$ a skein
    Hi twinkles, I'm curios about the shoulder warmers, and turbo knitting machine, I was learning to knit but it was slower then crocheting to me, great job for the homeless and needy as the winters get mighty cold, wish no one had to be homeless, I just couldn't imagine myself not haveing a home, I feel blessed!, I know the waiting listis long but 7 yrs is a long time, your turn has to be comming up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaXplant View Post
    Okay, then, boys and girls! I know I've been whiny and complained from time to time about being lonely and living under the same roof as my daughter and her family. Shame on me! At least I have:

*Fairly decent health; I only take meds for BP and cholesterol. I'm ambulatory and able to do heavy, physical work in my flower garden.
    *My own self-contained, totally separate apartment which includes my own entrance. Tiny, yes, but separate and private.
    *A dependable car so that I can come and go as it suits me. I'm mobile.
    *If I crave contact with another carbon-based unit of the human sort, I can step across the hall and "bother" my daughter. She works from home so I really hesitate to wander over there unless invited. When she's not slammed with deadlines, she comes over here to chat, invites me to go grocery shopping with her, etc. Or I can "bother" my son, who also works from home and lives about 30 miles south. They both insist that I'm not bothering them, but I do try to be mindful of their 8-5 M-F workdays.
    *And, after having to put my kitty down last fall, I've adopted a shelter kitty...so have a carbon-based unit of the furry sort for company and comfort.

All in all, I'm darned blessed and lucky. My son and his partner came over to visit today and took me to lunch. Next time I post here and get whiny and have a pity party going on, y'all please refer me to this post.
    Hi Georgia, by the way I've always loved your name.....just whin away we are here to listen, being lonely is how I found my way here, you certainly are blessed to have a home with your daughter and especially your own private space, but we all still miss that human contact now and again, my daughter told me the phone works both ways, I call, they are busy, and say I'll call you back so I don't do that anymore, I have a dear sweet friend she's 91 I talk to couple times a week but when she passes I'll be devistated and very much alone ...all in all sounds like you have two wonderful children trying to include you in their lives ,,but I know once in a while is not enough, my daughter comes every 2 wks to do my shopping and stays maybe 15 min and runs till the next 2 wks or until I have an appointment, I am grateful of that, getting old does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by AprilSun View Post
    Thank you! I really do appreciate you being so kind. The size I make is 30 wide x 64 long. I asked my husband to be my pattern when it came to size. I wanted everyone able to cover up if they wanted to and he enjoyed so much! As for favorite colors, they are all so pretty it's hard to decide.
    Hi AprilSun, how you doing today? Well I usually go overboard when measuring my afghans I need to work on that..yes I have a hard time picking colors ha e you worked with the ombré yet I haven't yet but I will someday when I can get in the mood, I can't get in mood to do much of anything lately.

Hi AprilSun, how you doing today? Well I usually go overboard when measuring my afghans I need to work on that..yes I have a hard time picking colors ha e you worked with the ombré yet I haven't yet but I will someday when I can get in the mood, I can't get in mood to do much of anything lately.
    Hi Morningglory! I'm doing fine and I hope you are! Oh yes, I have made so many using the ombre that I have lost count. Some I have given away to my daughter and then I have several ready to give to the chemo patients so I can't really say how many. I'm hooked on using this yarn because I love it so! Maybe you will get in the mood one day. I know you can't enjoy something if you're not in the mood to do it. There was several years that I didn't crochet because I wasn't in the mood and then I decided to try it again and it stuck this time. I found the crochet forum link that I uploaded pictures of some of the ombre chemo's and this is it:

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic...omment-2749033

If the link works, you can just click on it and go to the top of the page. This will take you to pictures of some of the ones I've made. I thought you might like to see what they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by AprilSun View Post
    Hi Morningglory! I'm doing fine and I hope you are! Oh yes, I have made so many using the ombre that I have lost count. Some I have given away to my daughter and then I have several ready to give to the chemo patients so I can't really say how many. I'm hooked on using this yarn because I love it so! Maybe you will get in the mood one day. I know you can't enjoy something if you're not in the mood to do it. There was several years that I didn't crochet because I wasn't in the mood and then I decided to try it again and it stuck this time. I found the crochet forum link that I uploaded pictures of some of the ombre chemo's and this is it:

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic...omment-2749033

If the link works, you can just click on it and go to the top of the page. This will take you to pictures of some of the ones I've made. I thought you might like to see what they look like.
    Hi just looked at the link ...your afghans are so beautiful, I'm starting a broomstick lace today..don't know how long I'll get on it without getting bored of it

Hi just looked at the link ...your afghans are so beautiful, I'm starting a broomstick lace today..don't know how long I'll get on it without getting bored of it
    Thank you! I'm glad it worked for you. I wasn't trying to "show off" but I wanted you to see how this yarn looks after one has been made. Now you have a better way of deciding how or what you want to do. I hope I haven't come across as if I'm pushing you because that's not what I meant. I just knew when I purchased it, it was more a trial and error purchase and I was expecting it to be error but it wasn't and still isn't. Good luck on your broomstick lace!

good morning morning glory---- the shoulder warmers i make are part of a poncho-- i crochet it just down to where it would meet your elbow -the nursing homes dont want any button or ties so these slide over the persons head and they wont fall off the shoulders they can eat or read a book and it will stay put.the addi knitting machine is round and you turn the handle til you get the length you need.if you google addi turbo knitting machine you can see how it is done--my oldest son is retired so he got one he makes hats and scarves for half way houses--he lives in virginia--it gives him something to do--twinkle

good morning georgiaXplant-- i got your pm and i answered it --did you get? i dont know whether i did it right or not i have never sent one before-----twinkles

aprilsun i saw your aftgans they are very pretty---how many skeins of ombre does it take to make 1 aftgan?

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    aprilsun i saw your aftgans they are very pretty---how many skeins of ombre does it take to make 1 aftgan?
    Thank you! It takes 3 and then a piece of another one so I purchase 4 skeins altogether.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.