I always wondered what make an animal more receptive to one person over another

I always wondered what make an animal more receptive to one person over another

When my kids were growing up we always had pets. I noticed that the cats were always attracted to my son. He loved the dogs as well but somehow the cats gravitated to him. The dogs seemed to like my company better than the rest of the family even though I cuddled the cats. I had an Aunt, who when visiting someones home, was always singled out by the largest breeds of dogs. It was so funny to watch because she was a very petite lady and always ended up with a Great Dane in her lap.

These days,when my son visits, my bird knows when his truck pulls in. He won't stop squawking and flies to him the second he comes through the door. You can actually see the love in that birds eyes.. At that point,until my son leaves, I'm chopped liver.

Anyone else notice that?

Yes....my daughter adores her dogs, they all without exception adore her back...but.... when I get there, although all of them go crazy when they hear my car pulling up..one of them just stays inches away from me at all times... he won't go if his ''mum'' call him unless I tell him he can go... and he absolutely refuses to eat his breakfast ( his fave meal of the day) until after he's sat outside my door waiting for me to get up...then he's happy and he'll eat!!....when I leave he cries like a baby...

My dog seems to favor women and gets friendly right away. but whn a male comes near, she hangs back a little. After she gets to know him a few minutes, she's ready to cuddle.

I love dogs and they seem to like me, too. I think they somehow sense when someone likes them.

Face recognition. Watched a documentary on it.

My little gal use to sit with me until my wife got home. As far as She was concerned, I didn’t exist. She was sure a women’s dog.
    A blond heard that most accidents happen close to home.....so she moved...

I once had a doberman who was an excellent judge of character. When meeting new people, she would sometimes be relaxed and casual and with others she would get tense, watch them closely and stay close to me as though on guard. Didn't bark or get aggressive, just subtle change in demeanor. Later experience would often show me just how intuitive she had been.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    My little gal use to sit with me until my wife got home. As far as She was concerned, I didn’t exist. She was sure a women’s dog.
    Well usually it's the one who feeds the dog that gets the most attention.

Can you blame the dog? They depend on humans for survival.

By the smell.

Maybe you are chopped liver. l.ol

I'm more of a dog person and they very much like me, no fiddles necessary. What I used to wonder about was why many people's cat's couldn't stop rubbing up against me or just trying to get my attention period. I later read an article, that it had something to do with my tendecy to, seemingly, completely, ignore their presence. I settled for that as I know I don't smell like fish, though..........

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    By the smell.

Maybe you are chopped liver. l.ol
    Could be

made a poster on that subject

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

All animals love my husband..It perplexes me.

ducks, pigs, horses, dogs, squirrels, anything but CATS

my camera one 395.JPG
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. e. e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by gennie View Post
    I once had a doberman who was an excellent judge of character. When meeting new people, she would sometimes be relaxed and casual and with others she would get tense, watch them closely and stay close to me as though on guard. Didn't bark or get aggressive, just subtle change in demeanor. Later experience would often show me just how intuitive she had been.
    My dog Bonnie (a pitbull mix and the sweetest dog ever) usually likes everybody, BUT there is one young man who sometimes walks in our neighborhood that she does not like one bit. When she sees him coming she puts herself squarely between me and him. I definitely trust her judgment.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.