Me & the IRS

Me & the IRS

Here we go again......some of you may recall? I had a bout with the IRS roughly 4-6 weeks ago , over an erroneous refund. I was refunded 3 times what I was expecting. I contacted them, they said return half of [that] amount. I did. All was well.....well now ? not so.

Now I get a letter saying , return the other half of [that] amount? With no mention of my original refund amount due, which was @ that time one third of [that] amount. If no action is taken on my part in 10 days, fines will be assessed ?

So I have a call in to them...waiting for a return call.

This may not be settled till it is tax season again........<sigh>

Ugh, bureaucracy.

I tangled with the IRS once a long time ago. The IRS is relentless and unreasonable. I'd return the other half of the overpayment immediately, via certified mail.

I would never have told them about the overpayment in the first place.

They made the mistake.

It's up to them to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    I would never have told them about the overpayment in the first place.

They made the mistake.

It's up to them to correct it.

I didn't, they sent a letter the first time...I then contacted them, had it cleared up I thought.....Now I get another letter.

Now they want the other half of the mistake back...Well OK...I'm @ this point still over refunded anyway. But.....what about the refund I was supposed to receive?

Since last April, still no mention of that !

Reminded me of this problem.
    Three men go to stay at a motel, and the man at the desk charged them $30 for a room. They split the cost $10 each. Later, the desk man realized he overcharged the men, that the actual cost should have been $25. The desk man gives the bellboy $5 and tells him to give it to the men. The smart bellboy realized $5 could not split equally up 3 ways, so he kept $2 and gave the men $1 each. Now each man paid $9 to stay in the room and 3 x $9 = $27. The bellboy kept $2. $27 + $2 = $29. So where is the missing $1?

The IRS is really picky about forms. Documented thru Fidelity paper trail the sale of some stock & immediately put into a self directed IRA I didn't know that wouldn't satisfy the IRS. The transaction had to be documented on schedule D. Aletter explaining I owed $55,000.00 on top of what I already had paid got my attention really quick. I took my Fidelity paperwork to the IRS office, got help filing an amended form & actually got a little over $600.00 back.

The $25.00 room

$25.00 for the room.
    $3.00 $1.00 back to each man
    $2.00 for the bellboy
    ---------------
    $30.00

Interesting problem. I think the error is that you are adding in one direction, and subtracting in another.

Quote Originally Posted by wasserball View Post
    Reminded me of this problem.
    Three men go to stay at a motel, and the man at the desk charged them $30 for a room. They split the cost $10 each. Later, the desk man realized he overcharged the men, that the actual cost should have been $25. The desk man gives the bellboy $5 and tells him to give it to the men. The smart bellboy realized $5 could not split equally up 3 ways, so he kept $2 and gave the men $1 each. Now each man paid $9 to stay in the room and 3 x $9 = $27. The bellboy kept $2. $27 + $2 = $29. So where is the missing $1?
    This brain teaser used to drive me crazy until I realized that the math is figured backwards. The room isn't $25 it's effectively $27. $9 for each man covers the $25 room and the $2 tip. Since they each got back $1 from the bellboy the math works. (It's not $27 plus $2, it's $27 plus $3.)
    During life's hardest moments - the ones you don't think you can endure - it's helpful to remember that your record for getting through trying times remains at an impressive 100%.

Well the IRS lady called back. It seems I did do the correct thing a month ago. Returning half of the erroneous refund. She said it had not been received & processed , before the second , [current] letter/form was mailed too me. Her instructions were to just ignore this notice. I hope she's right this time...

Gotta luv government bureaucracy & snail mail !

Remember this all started in April <shaking my head>

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.