Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Car's AC shot

Price $1.91
    Valvoline DEXRON/MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1gal
    Price: $13.97

Thanks debodun one of those eye openers for vulnerable people that don't know anything about car service.

Car is up on the rack. Mechanic now called technician goes over to get the drain tank for the transmission fluid, 2 minutes tops depending on where it's stored. Removes drain plug 30 seconds tops.

While trans is draining, takes an impact gun out of his tool box, hooks it to the shop air supply, removes both rear wheels 2 minutes tops. Taps the drums, removes the drums, hooks the shop air supply to the nozzle he should have in his tool box, puts on goggles and dust mask, blows dust off. Checks springs for rubbing, maybe sprays a little WD 40 on them. Replaces wheels whole "job" 10 minutes max.

Transmission drained, if he even replaced the drain plug seal, he then lowers the car. A well equipped shop would have trans fluid supply lines with a metered dispenser for pumping trans fluid from a 55 gallon drum. Best guess fluid in bulk $1.25 a quart.

Total time spent 30 minutes max and that is giving the tech clean up time for his tools and putting the transmission fluid drain tank back.

As was previously explained time is pre determined but favors the dealership. The expense of wages, facility and all that goes with service at a dealer ship is passed on to the customer that doesn't know what is involved in the service they want. With the internet so much can be researched. Those that can't perform the simple jobs like you just paid for might think about using the internet to get a ball park idea of cost.

If it only took that amount of time you outlined, why was my car in there for 2 and a half hours?
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    If it only took that amount of time you outlined, why was my car in there for 2 and a half hours?
    To justify the almost $300 they charged you, (actually over $300 if you add the $40 senior discount back on). I guarantee you they weren't working on your car for that amount of time. I figure it took about an hour to complete everything on the invoice you posted depending on the mechanics ability and whether he/she took a test drive before and after to diagnose the brakes and make sure the noise was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    It's a sad fact of life, but many dealers/repair shops routinely overcharge for their services....especially if the customer appears to have little knowledge about how cars work. Women, and the elderly are often the most likely to be overcharged....I strongly suspect that part of the Service Managers job is to "evaluate" the customers knowledge about a given problem, and if that customer appears to be a novice, the bill and charges will quickly escalate.

Newer cars, with all their electronics controlling everything, offer Golden Opportunities to fleece a customer. When a "check engine", or "service vehicle", etc., message pops up on the dashboard gauges, the car owner is open for exploitation if they don't do some research on their own. A good code reader/scanner can cost hundreds, even thousands, of dollars, and few people will have access to one to tell them what the trouble is. Fortunately, many of the better auto parts stores have these devices, and will read the codes for little or no charge. Getting that code readout Before you take the car in for service is just about the ONLY guarantee that you will not be fleeced.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

I don't think that the amount of time involved is always that sinister.

My Chevrolet dealer is quite large and it can take up to 45 minutes from the time the work is done for the paperwork to reach the office and for the car to have a kid drive it out of the garage.

The more I read in this thread the more I think that Deb should just throw in the towel and lease a new vehicle every three years,

IMO if you can't do your own work it's really just a case of pay me now or pay me later.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.