Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Car's AC shot

Price $1.91

Valvoline DEXRON/MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1gal
    Price: $13.97

Thanks debodun one of those eye openers for vulnerable people that don't know anything about car service.

Car is up on the rack. Mechanic now called technician goes over to get the drain tank for the transmission fluid, 2 minutes tops depending on where it's stored. Removes drain plug 30 seconds tops.

While trans is draining, takes an impact gun out of his tool box, hooks it to the shop air supply, removes both rear wheels 2 minutes tops. Taps the drums, removes the drums, hooks the shop air supply to the nozzle he should have in his tool box, puts on goggles and dust mask, blows dust off. Checks springs for rubbing, maybe sprays a little WD 40 on them. Replaces wheels whole "job" 10 minutes max.

Transmission drained, if he even replaced the drain plug seal, he then lowers the car. A well equipped shop would have trans fluid supply lines with a metered dispenser for pumping trans fluid from a 55 gallon drum. Best guess fluid in bulk $1.25 a quart.

Total time spent 30 minutes max and that is giving the tech clean up time for his tools and putting the transmission fluid drain tank back.

As was previously explained time is pre determined but favors the dealership. The expense of wages, facility and all that goes with service at a dealer ship is passed on to the customer that doesn't know what is involved in the service they want. With the internet so much can be researched. Those that can't perform the simple jobs like you just paid for might think about using the internet to get a ball park idea of cost.

If it only took that amount of time you outlined, why was my car in there for 2 and a half hours?
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    If it only took that amount of time you outlined, why was my car in there for 2 and a half hours?
    To justify the almost $300 they charged you, (actually over $300 if you add the $40 senior discount back on). I guarantee you they weren't working on your car for that amount of time. I figure it took about an hour to complete everything on the invoice you posted depending on the mechanics ability and whether he/she took a test drive before and after to diagnose the brakes and make sure the noise was gone.

It's a sad fact of life, but many dealers/repair shops routinely overcharge for their services....especially if the customer appears to have little knowledge about how cars work. Women, and the elderly are often the most likely to be overcharged....I strongly suspect that part of the Service Managers job is to "evaluate" the customers knowledge about a given problem, and if that customer appears to be a novice, the bill and charges will quickly escalate.

Newer cars, with all their electronics controlling everything, offer Golden Opportunities to fleece a customer. When a "check engine", or "service vehicle", etc., message pops up on the dashboard gauges, the car owner is open for exploitation if they don't do some research on their own. A good code reader/scanner can cost hundreds, even thousands, of dollars, and few people will have access to one to tell them what the trouble is. Fortunately, many of the better auto parts stores have these devices, and will read the codes for little or no charge. Getting that code readout Before you take the car in for service is just about the ONLY guarantee that you will not be fleeced.
    It's been Scientifically proven that those who have more Birthdays, Live Longer.

I don't think that the amount of time involved is always that sinister.

My Chevrolet dealer is quite large and it can take up to 45 minutes from the time the work is done for the paperwork to reach the office and for the car to have a kid drive it out of the garage.

The more I read in this thread the more I think that Deb should just throw in the towel and lease a new vehicle every three years,

IMO if you can't do your own work it's really just a case of pay me now or pay me later.

Went to Valvoline Instant Oil Change today at lunch for an oil change. I also had them rotate the tires for $29.99 and replace my air filter for $25.00. I use the Valvoline Max Life synthetic blend oil which is a middle of the road product and my vehicle takes 6 qts. There were 3 people working on my vehicle at once, one in the pit below draining the oil, changing the filter and jacking up the vehicle to rotate the tires. The other two working up top on the tires and oil change. It took 30 minutes from start to finish for everything. The grand total including tax was $132.00, less a $10 coupon and I was out of there for $122.00 for everything, that's only $40 per person working on my vehicle including the cost of parts. They even hand torqued the lug nuts with a torque wrench which is rare. That's what these places are meant for, quick and easy stuff and most of them are okay at doing it.

They work on multiple cars all at once so the customer gets his scheduled time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    Went to Valvoline Instant Oil Change today at lunch for an oil change. I also had them rotate the tires for $29.99 and replace my air filter for $25.00. I use the Valvoline Max Life synthetic blend oil which is a middle of the road product and my vehicle takes 6 qts. There were 3 people working on my vehicle at once, one in the pit below draining the oil, changing the filter and jacking up the vehicle to rotate the tires. The other two working up top on the tires and oil change. It took 30 minutes from start to finish for everything. The grand total including tax was $132.00, less a $10 coupon and I was out of there for $122.00 for everything, that's only $40 per person working on my vehicle including the cost of parts. They even hand torqued the lug nuts with a torque wrench which is rare. That's what these places are meant for, quick and easy stuff and most of them are okay at doing it.
    I had the oil & filter changed on my 2012 Chevrolet Colorado the other day at Ye Olde Corner Mechanic for $44.62 plus tax.

I also had a Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly replaced for $410.42 plus tax and Front Brakes Pads & Rotors replaced for $676.60 plus tax.

Not sure how this stacks up with what is normal and customary for this type of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I had the oil & filter changed on my 2012 Chevrolet Colorado the other day at Ye Olde Corner Mechanic for $44.62 plus tax. I also had a Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly replaced for $410.42 plus tax and Front Brakes Pads & Rotors replaced for $676.60 plus tax. Not sure how this stacks up with what is normal and customary for this type of work.
    The oil and filter change price is about right at an independent garage. The front end work seems a bit high, to me...especially if all the work was being done at one time. What I like to do, with regard to auto parts, is to research the price of the parts on RockAuto.com, and compare that to what a local shop wants to charge. This past Winter, I replaced an upper ball joint, front rotors, rear drums and new brake pads and linings on my pristine 1997 Dakota, for a total of about $160, with parts from RockAuto. Then, I had the front end realigned for $50. I puttered around for 4 or 5 hours doing the work, but probably saved 5 or 6 hundred on labor.

I've been ready for a new set of tires on the Impala since Spring...and been researching and watching for a decent sale. A couple of weeks ago, Walmart...of all places...put some excellent Goodyears on sale for way less than Goodyear wanted. I got 4 80,000 mile warranty tires, mounted, balanced, with a lifetime balance/rotation/road hazard warranty for just over $500...the same tires/warranty at the tire dealer would have been over $750.

Bottom line...most of the price on auto repairs, at a shop/dealer is Labor.
    It's been Scientifically proven that those who have more Birthdays, Live Longer.

I had the oil & filter changed on my 2012 Chevrolet Colorado the other day at Ye Olde Corner Mechanic for $44.62 plus tax.

I also had a Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly replaced for $410.42 plus tax and Front Brakes Pads & Rotors replaced for $676.60 plus tax.

Not sure how this stacks up with what is normal and customary for this type of work.
    Good price on the oil change Bea.

I agree with Don that the combination of the front bearing/hub and brake job sounds high. The bearing and hub replacement sounds reasonable by itself, but the brakes are high especially seeing the mechanic would have to remove the brake calipers and rotors to replace the wheel bearing and hub anyway. They should've given you a brake (pun intended) on the labor for the brake job. Did they replace only the brake pads and rotors for $676.60 or did they replace the calipers and bleed the system as well? Either way it still seems high.

Thanks, Guys!

My thoughts are very similar to yours.

I don't begrudge them the labor savings/efficiency gained on doing both jobs at the same time or the markup in parts to what I consider top of the line retail.

The Closer at the shop told me back in February that the wheel bearing was starting to go and told me that my vehicle is one of the most expensive to replace. I put off the repair at that time because I thought it was odd that a wheel bearing would go bad at 30,000 miles. I did some checking at that time and found out that he was correct about the added expense for my vehicle.

My overall opinion is that these guys are honest with their customers and their employees. I also like the fact that they are within walking distance of my apartment and in a pinch, they will come to pick up the vehicle and or drop it off.

Thanks, Guys!

My thoughts are very similar to yours.

I don't begrudge them the labor savings/efficiency gained on doing both jobs at the same time or the markup in parts to what I consider top of the line retail.

The Closer at the shop told me back in February that the wheel bearing was starting to go and told me that my vehicle is one of the most expensive to replace. I put off the repair at that time because I thought it was odd that a wheel bearing would go bad at 30,000 miles. I did some checking at that time and found out that he was correct about the added expense for my vehicle.

My overall opinion is that these guys are honest with their customers and their employees. I also like the fact that they are within walking distance of my apartment and in a pinch, they will come to pick up the vehicle and or drop it off.
    If you trust them and are happy with their work, that's about all you can ask for out of any business. Sometimes price isn't the end all be all as long as your getting quality work. The fact they are within walking distance and offer a pick up/drop off service is a plus as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    If you trust them and are happy with their work, that's about all you can ask for out of any business. Sometimes price isn't the end all be all as long as your getting quality work. The fact they are within walking distance and offer a pick up/drop off service is a plus as well.
    I may sound like Pollyanna but I don't begrudge paying a fair price to a local small business as long as it translates into fair wages/benefits for the employees.

We all deserve to make enough to provide a comfortable living for ourselves and our families.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.