Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Non-fake phone calls?

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    Never use a computer company over the phone or on line.
    Good advice.

Beth, I do the same thing. They greet me by my first name and ask how I am doing, and I answer, "Who's calling?" But usually I don't pick up in the first place if I don't recognize the number. The reason I answered this call from the computer company (all right, it was Hewlett Packard) was that I actually did have a contract with them to service my computer as needed. And the call was genuine. Although I've never figured out what sort of problem they were having with my credit card, which nobody else is having a problem with. They certainly came across as extremely dubious.

C'est Moi, our state's cards had been sent out. But some people, including myself, never received them. Apparently Medicare had an error in my address. That's why they contacted me.

i have a collection agency calling me saying i owe a certain dr 37.oo and 61 cents--i went thru my bank statements and saw it was paid--i called the head office of the billing dept at the dr and they said my bill has 00 balance--so when collections call i told them i sent the bill in -they wanted to know if it was a check or money order--i told them a check they wanted to know the no. on the check and i told them i would have to thru my bank statements and i dont have time right now

Twinkles, it sounds like that "collection agency" is the same bunch that keep calling me and warning me that the police are on their way to my house to arrest me for unpaid taxes, unless I call them back immediately to correct this.

Robo callers and scammers force us to be wary. I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. Period. Valid callers understand and leave messages.

I carefully guard my cell phone number and am judicious about giving it out. I use the phone number for my business land line for almost everything besides doctor's offices, friends, etc. The landline goes straight to voice mail. Rare indeed are there any messages of value on that line, though it receives plenty of messages and hang-ups. The $15 per month that it costs for a landline to safeguard my cell number is money well spent.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

$15 a month?! I'd like to have your landline carrier!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    $15 a month?! I'd like to have your landline carrier!
    It's bundled with our Internet and cable TV.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

We have a "bundle" package here also. The cable TV is free. So probably I shouldn't complain. But I bet they all end up costing us about the same total amount anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.