Letters to myself

Letters to myself

Dear Self,

Remember that wedding you went to seven months ago? It was a lovely wedding. Lots of people came from all over the country as well as from other countries. I guess when you've been to college you have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. Why self, even you traveled a long ways to attend.

Now self, I know that you've never given anyone a gift and expected anything in return but so far there has not been even a hint of a "thank you". No pre-printed thank you note in the mail. Why, there hasn't even been so much as a group "thank you" text message and you can't tell me a couple of young adults don't know how to do that..

I suppose this is the new normal though where one no longer feels the need to acknowledge? appreciate?

The bride's mother called me this morning wondering if I had received a thank you note from the couple. I told her I had not. It sounds like a lot of people have been asking her about it.

According to the mom, there is trouble in paradise over the thank you notes which are stacked on the table of the bride and groom. It seems the bride feels the husband should help address and fill them out. The groom so far is refusing to do so. The bride suggested a compromise. He could fill out the thank you notes for his friends and family and she would do hers then they could split the ones of the friends they share. Still a no go for the husband. It seems that Is "women's work".

What the hell?

Ahhh, marriage...may I never travel that road again.

Meanwhile the mother is wondering if she should take care of the thank you notes and wanted my advice. Of course, me being ever so helpful told her to give out the happy couple's phone number or e-mail so they could explain the problem to all those who are asking about a thank you note

Dear self, I want to thank you for picking such a lovely and thoughtful gift for the newlyweds. It was a beautiful wedding and deep down you know that what you really wanted wasn't a thank you note, you really wanted another two or three slices of that yummy wedding cake. Yes dear self, you know you would go the distance again with no "thank you" especially if wedding cake was involved.

Sincerely,

Me
    Last edited by dkay; 08-11-2018 at 06:20 AM.

To be honest I’ve got a major ‘pet peeve’ for truly ungrateful people.
    It doesn’t take much to thank someone and you should expect a thank you card for gift(s) you generously gave for the occasion.
    SEVEN months is a long time to wait. I would be disappointed also.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Yeah, I'm after my granddaughter to get her thank-you notes done and it's only been six weeks. She has them, they're mostly written but she's bogged down for some reason.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    Yeah, I'm after my granddaughter to get her thank-you notes done and it's only been six weeks. She has them, they're mostly written but she's bogged down for some reason.
    For what it's worth, wonder if these young folks would be willing to pay us older folks to take care of the task for them.

My sympathy is now dwindling. ( kidding )
    These young folks should do it themselves. If they wanted the wedding and they got the gifts l, then they should send thank you cards out as soon as possible. 6 to 8 weeks is very reasonable. Seven months seems ungrateful in my opinion.

Dear Self,

Ok, that's enough already. You need to get off you butt before it turns out to be the size of a particular Kardashians. Now I know you worked the evening or night shift for thirty years and really didn't get to watch a lot of television. But really???? Do you have to binge watch some of these shows????? If you don't haul your old butt off that chair soon, you'll be contracted in the shape of a chair. As my granddaughter would say, "Seriously????"

So far you have binge watched: How I met your Mother, That 70s Show, Sex and the City, MASH, Seinfeld and The Cosby Show-well, at least most of it. Too bad he turned out to be kind of a jerk because this really was a good show at least what you were able to see until it was taken off the air. You made it to where it was discovered that Theo had dyslexia. Maybe some day you'll get to see all of it.

Just because you are officially retired now doesn't mean you have to relegate yourself to the recliner. Get up, move around, and for your own well being: Hide the remote!

Quote Originally Posted by dkay View Post
    Dear Self,

Remember that wedding you went to seven months ago? It was a lovely wedding. Lots of people came from all over the country as well as from other countries. I guess when you've been to college you have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. Why self, even you traveled a long ways to attend.

Now self, I know that you've never given anyone a gift and expected anything in return but so far there has not been even a hint of a "thank you". No pre-printed thank you note in the mail. Why, there hasn't even been so much as a group "thank you" text message and you can't tell me a couple of young adults don't know how to do that..

I suppose this is the new normal though where one no longer feels the need to acknowledge? appreciate?

The bride's mother called me this morning wondering if I had received a thank you note from the couple. I told her I had not. It sounds like a lot of people have been asking her about it.

According to the mom, there is trouble in paradise over the thank you notes which are stacked on the table of the bride and groom. It seems the bride feels the husband should help address and fill them out. The groom so far is refusing to do so. The bride suggested a compromise. He could fill out the thank you notes for his friends and family and she would do hers then they could split the ones of the friends they share. Still a no go for the husband. It seems that Is "women's work".

What the hell?

Ahhh, marriage...may I never travel that road again.

Meanwhile the mother is wondering if she should take care of the thank you notes and wanted my advice. Of course, me being ever so helpful told her to give out the happy couple's phone number or e-mail so they could explain the problem to all those who are asking about a thank you note

Dear self, I want to thank you for picking such a lovely and thoughtful gift for the newlyweds. It was a beautiful wedding and deep down you know that what you really wanted wasn't a thank you note, you really wanted another two or three slices of that yummy wedding cake. Yes dear self, you know you would go the distance again with no "thank you" especially if wedding cake was involved.

Sincerely,

Me
    E Mail is the thing now. But I just love getting real mail in the mailbox.

Just recently I attended a family outing and I took a picture. I had them printed and mailed them instead of e mail.

Everyone loved it. Lots of people get e mails of pictures but they never get printed.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    E Mail is the thing now. But I just love getting real mail in the mailbox.

Just recently I attended a family outing and I took a picture. I had them printed and mailed them instead of e mail.

Everyone loved it. Lots of people get e mails of pictures but they never get printed.

I'm like you, I love real mail too and real pictures. Alas though, not even an E mail from the bride and groom though even that would be nice with a wedding picture attached.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.