Results 1 to 13 of 13

At the eye doc......

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515

    At the eye doc......

    Complete exam, new script...



    Her...roughly...for a man your age [I hate that]...LOL...the overall health of your eyes is terrific. Only a slight change in script for the best [perfect]? vision....Both good news.

    New glasses , $550...Ouch!

    Oh well, be grateful for the good news....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    4,666
    I'm 80 and have not been to eye exam in over 7 yrs. Still using reading and distance scripts from about 9 yrs ago. My eye health is very good and thanks to grape seed extract, lutein, bilberry and crystalline drops (to keep cataracts from forming).

    I never go without SUNGLASSES when outside, sun or shade.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    I'm 80 and have not been to eye exam in over 7 yrs. Still using reading and distance scripts from about 9 yrs ago. My eye health is very good and thanks to grape seed extract, lutein, bilberry and crystalline drops (to keep cataracts from forming).

    I never go without SUNGLASSES when outside, sun or shade.

    C'on Jamin...How do you know the health of your eyes, unless you have them examined? You are assuming it is...I hope that it is so.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    34,363
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Complete exam, new script...

    Her...roughly...for a man your age [I hate that]...LOL...the overall health of your eyes is terrific. Only a slight change in script for the best [perfect]? vision....Both good news.

    New glasses , $550...Ouch!

    Oh well, be grateful for the good news....
    I have no idea of what glasses should cost rgp, but other than that it sounds like a good check up...gotta feel good about that. It's been several years since I had an eye exam, I plan to get one probably early next year. I'm just using over the counter reading glasses 1.75 strength, but with some tiny writing I use 2.0.

    They said that was fine to continue with that, and said there may be some signs of beginning macular degeneration, so to use more eye support supplements and wear sun glasses more often....something I neglected big time for many years. Hate to wear any glasses.

    So, I still take Lutein/Zeaxanthin, take vitamin D3, etc. plus started wearing sunglasses much more often than I ever did. Hopefully next time I go for a check up, it will not have progressed.

    Did your eye exam take place in a dark private room? Any past tests I had took place in a dark, quiet office. The last one was done in full fluorescent light, with the eye doctor chatting with someone else in the room. I really think it was not an ideal environment for an eye test and was wondering if this is common these days.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    4,666
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    C'on Jamin...How do you know the health of your eyes, unless you have them examined? You are assuming it is...I hope that it is so.
    My vision is clear, I have no issues and no cataracts, so what's wrong with not going to eye docs...I went for years...many years ago one told me I had the coming of cataracts and cholesterol in my eyes, worked good at trying to scare me. I told you what I take and what works for me...google them all and eye health and you will see.

    We're brain washed into doctor visits and dentists...same with dentists, since I changed my diet and changed toothpaste I have not gone to a dentist in about 7 yrs...been there done that too. Sugar has been my killer re: dental issues. No More.

    And my toothpaste is coconut oil based I get my teeth good and clean.

    Grape Seed Extract keeps my gums tight and pink and healthy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I have no idea of what glasses should cost rgp, but other than that it sounds like a good check up...gotta feel good about that. It's been several years since I had an eye exam, I plan to get one probably early next year. I'm just using over the counter reading glasses 1.75 strength, but with some tiny writing I use 2.0.

    They said that was fine to continue with that, and said there may be some signs of beginning macular degeneration, so to use more eye support supplements and wear sun glasses more often....something I neglected big time for many years. Hate to wear any glasses.

    So, I still take Lutein/Zeaxanthin, take vitamin D3, etc. plus started wearing sunglasses much more often than I ever did. Hopefully next time I go for a check up, it will not have progressed.

    Did your eye exam take place in a dark private room? Any past tests I had took place in a dark, quiet office. The last one was done in full fluorescent light, with the eye doctor chatting with someone else in the room. I really think it was not an ideal environment for an eye test and was wondering if this is common these days.

    Yes my exam was done in a dark , quiet environment. It seemed like a complete thorough exam.

    My driver license is due, and I doubt I could pass the eye exam using naked eye. As such, if I'm going to resort to glasses, might as well be the best prescription ?
    My last exam / script, was 16 years ago...so really can't complain I suppose.

    If these last that long?...that's only what ? 34-35 bucks p/year to see correctly...not bad. Hell I doubt I'll last 16 more years.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    88
    My eye exam was Monday. Received a new script. Costing me a fortune as well, just to replace the lenses!
    I'm keeping the same frames, they're only two years old and I like them. Some astigmatism was corrected
    lowering the power of the lenses but NOT the cost! Oh well!! Regretfully I was told that my right eye has
    some macular degeneration that was noticeable but not severe. I had skipped one year of examination. Now I have to take fish oil capsules for dryness and apply warm compresses to my eyes three times a day to stimulate the tear ducts. Also was advised to take vitamins formulated especially for eye health. Oh yes, eating a ton of leafy green vegetables was advised. That last part won't be much of a problem.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYS and Florida winters
    Posts
    13,032
    To be honest...if you have a BJs anywhere near you, try them next time. My glasses were $175.00 and my wife’s were $220.00. A big savings over the ones you get at the eye doctors.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, there's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    4,666
    I have not changed frames since my last eye dx change about 10+ yrs ago. Used to be one could be pretty inexpensive frames and NOW it's the sky. Forget them, I've learned. I like my frames and have drawers of old frames from when I started wearing glasses at 21 or so.

    And the decades of taking antioxidants have certainly paid off for me. Better $$ in my account than the docs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    288
    I had an eye exam this past February with a new doc I had never been to before. He had an excellent rating and what sealed the deal for me was they don't put those awful drops in your eyes to dilate them....it's done digitally! I have a difficult prescription because my left eye is a lazy eye and it was further ruined years ago when lasic was done on it (they were a company through my husbands insurance at the time when he still worked and they assured me they could "correct" that lazy eye...ha!). Many eye doctors have told me I need to wear Progressive lenses and I've tried them at least 3 different times and could not adjust to them. This doctor told me I should NEVER wear Progressives with my lazy eye. He told me I could actually get away with no Rx for that eye because my right eye is so dominate that my left eye is just along for the ride...haha

    He did change my Rx slightly for my right eye and I opted to keep my frames I've had for at least 6 years. Our Humana pays for exam once a year and part of glasses expenses so my new glasses (lenses only) was $110.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    4,666
    I too have a lazy right eye and NEVER went to progressive etc and was suggested that over the years. My two pairs of glasses, reading and distance are just fine. And when I don't have them on I can see, like looking at my clock in the middle of the night from my bed.

    The antioxidants!!! They work, my eyes are 80 yrs old. Or should I say young.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    central Missouri
    Posts
    4,817
    I try to take good care of my eyes. IMO, loss of sight and/or hearing pretty much destroys a persons ability to enjoy retirement. We have good vision insurance, and I go through all the annual tests faithfully....including dilation. My old Dad had macular degeneration in his latter years, and it really cramped his lifestyle. We have a good eye doctor, and he recommended a daily Lutein pill and fish oil capsule as the best way to stave off MD....so far, so good. I get new glasses every year...titanium frames with a "saddle" nosepiece, polymer progressive lenses, with a good scratch and glare resistant coating, and they usually hold up well through all my outdoor activity for the year. Our doctor is reasonable with his prices, and my added costs over what the insurance pays is usually in the $200 range....a small price to pay for quality glasses and a thorough exam.
    It's been Scientifically proven that those who have more Birthdays, Live Longer.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    I too have a lazy right eye and NEVER went to progressive etc and was suggested that over the years. My two pairs of glasses, reading and distance are just fine. And when I don't have them on I can see, like looking at my clock in the middle of the night from my bed.

    The antioxidants!!! They work, my eyes are 80 yrs old. Or should I say young.
    Good for you!! I have bifocals in my glasses for reading. I can't buy readers from the dollar store. I'd like to but I just can't see with them for reading. I have a pair of glasses for computer work that are a different Rx than my distance/bifocals.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum