Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Itching From Mosquito Bites, Keeping Me Up at Night

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    If you want to sit and enjoy outdoors without being bothered by mosquitoes, then get one of those oscillating fans and put it behind you.

They hate wind.

People that itch from bites are slightly allergic to them.

There must be something you can eat or drink that will repel them. Maybe alcohol will make them drunk so you can swat them.

In Canada it's the blackflies that are the menace. They get on you and bite and you don't feel them until later. And then the itch starts and I am allergic to them. My forehead swells up.

The natural predators of mosquitoes are the dragonfly and bats.

Quote Originally Posted by kburra View Post
    Tea Tree oil,stop the itch.
    That never worked for me K....but I use it to heal all my other skin conditions that pop up.....funny how everyone's body is so different with the remedies they have to use for the skin.....
    Delicious Autumn! my very soul is wedded to it...and if i were a bird, I would fly about the earth seeking successive Autumns....George Eliot
    Hello November...

Quote Originally Posted by PopsnTuff View Post
    That never worked for me K....but I use it to heal all my other skin conditions that pop up.....funny how everyone's body is so different with the remedies they have to use for the skin.....
    Unfortunately, me neither, it's one of many essential oils I can't have skin contact with or the hives come out. I still have a bottle of it and other oils sitting in a cabinet I rarely use except on occasions to deter pest around closets and doorways. Even the lavender, I have to be careful with, but I still use it as a sleep aid, just not in a spritzer anymore.

But for most people there are a number of essential oils that are great deterrents and soothers, but, always use a carrier oil with them. I suffered a serious burn in July when I dropped some oil on my foot, the scab is finally gone and my foot finally stopped hurting about a week ago. It was really bad, so please, always, always mix essential oils with something like almond, olive, coconut, grape-seed or similar oils before applying to skin.

Thanks for that tip April xo
    Delicious Autumn! my very soul is wedded to it...and if i were a bird, I would fly about the earth seeking successive Autumns....George Eliot
    Hello November...

....I've already had many bites from them and the gnats....only benedryl tabs work in a cinch and baking soda dissolved in a paste and applied works the best for me.....and I definitely have to use Off spray....nothing else on the market works....tried em all....so I wash it off each day....
    The itch on my arms didn't subside with the creams, over these days I was applying a lot, Lidocaine in the morning, Hydrocortisone in the afternoon, mix and match in the even and throughout the night. I finally decided it wasn't a good thing to use so much of those creams so often, especially since they weren't helping to the degree they should have.

In the evening yesterday, I decided to rinse my arms in cold water and get those creams off, itching was still a problem. I made a large amount of paste with baking soda and filtered water as you suggested. I applied it really thick on both my arms and let it dry for awhile. Although I still was itchy, I did begin to feel some relief calming from the soda.

When it was dry enough where it started flaking off in clumps everywhere, I rinsed by arms again in cold water and patted dry with a towel. I felt more relief than I did with either (or both) of those creams. I left my arms bare last night with no added creams or anything. This morning I rubbed coconut oil onto both arms and that was very soothing. Reapplied the coconut oil again in afternoon, best day yet with limited itching in my arms.

Thanks for that added push I needed to try something else Pops.

So glad the baking soda worked a little for ya' SB....another added note: when we itch intensely some of it comes from too much histamine, therefore the anti-histamine tabs work great....I only take 1/2 of whatever they recommend on the label....
    Hello November...

I hate mosquitoes too. You're right about what they can do. I had the misfortune in my 40's to be bitten by one that gave me viral encephalitis, and that was undoubtedly the worst week of my life trying to recoup. You talk about a headache, that's the worst one ever- and the pain was moving around from place to place on my head. No eating, no relief, going in and out of consciousness with tylenol 3 (with codeine), not even water would stay down. The only thing I could do (actually my wife) was to take suppositories.

So I don't go anywhere outdoors without the repellent spray.
    There are ways to get rid of them, like some outdoor arenas that hold concerts in the summer. For example, in Cary, NC I've been to a few concerts to hear the Carolina Symphony at Koka Booth amphitheater, and there are NO mosquitoes, and its beside a lake. How they do it, I don't know, but they have these large tall towers that have something there that keeps them away.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Too dry where you are Falcon. They like standing water, damp, drippy forests, puddles, stagnant birdbaths, ponds etc.
    Like here in Houston town!! We have it all!! Throw in a Hurricane Harvey like last year and its party time for them!!!

So glad the baking soda worked a little for ya' SB....another added note: when we itch intensely some of it comes from too much histamine, therefore the anti-histamine tabs work great....I only take 1/2 of whatever they recommend on the label....
    Thanks, I've also been using Benedryl or Chlor-Trimeton anti-histamine pills.

Quote Originally Posted by exwisehe View Post
    I hate mosquitoes too. You're right about what they can do. I had the misfortune in my 40's to be bitten by one that gave me viral encephalitis, and that was undoubtedly the worst week of my life trying to recoup. You talk about a headache, that's the worst one ever- and the pain was moving around from place to place on my head. No eating, no relief, going in and out of consciousness with tylenol 3 (with codeine), not even water would stay down. The only thing I could do (actually my wife) was to take suppositories.

So I don't go anywhere outdoors without the repellent spray.
    There are ways to get rid of them, like some outdoor arenas that hold concerts in the summer. For example, in Cary, NC I've been to a few concerts to hear the Carolina Symphony at Koka Booth amphitheater, and there are NO mosquitoes, and its beside a lake. How they do it, I don't know, but they have these large tall towers that have something there that keeps them away.
    That sounds terrible Exwisehe, glad you made it through that okay. I can see why some of you guys use more replellent than I do, guess it all depends on where you live. Glad you could enjoy the concerts without being eaten alive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.