Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Itching From Mosquito Bites, Keeping Me Up at Night

Quote Originally Posted by kburra View Post
    Tea Tree oil,stop the itch.
    That never worked for me K....but I use it to heal all my other skin conditions that pop up.....funny how everyone's body is so different with the remedies they have to use for the skin.....

Hello June...the days get hotter, the nights get longer....

Quote Originally Posted by PopsnTuff View Post
    ....I've already had many bites from them and the gnats....only benedryl tabs work in a cinch and baking soda dissolved in a paste and applied works the best for me.....and I definitely have to use Off spray....nothing else on the market works....tried em all....so I wash it off each day....
    The itch on my arms didn't subside with the creams, over these days I was applying a lot, Lidocaine in the morning, Hydrocortisone in the afternoon, mix and match in the even and throughout the night. I finally decided it wasn't a good thing to use so much of those creams so often, especially since they weren't helping to the degree they should have.

In the evening yesterday, I decided to rinse my arms in cold water and get those creams off, itching was still a problem. I made a large amount of paste with baking soda and filtered water as you suggested. I applied it really thick on both my arms and let it dry for awhile. Although I still was itchy, I did begin to feel some relief calming from the soda.

When it was dry enough where it started flaking off in clumps everywhere, I rinsed by arms again in cold water and patted dry with a towel. I felt more relief than I did with either (or both) of those creams. I left my arms bare last night with no added creams or anything. This morning I rubbed coconut oil onto both arms and that was very soothing. Reapplied the coconut oil again in afternoon, best day yet with limited itching in my arms.

Thanks for that added push I needed to try something else Pops.

So glad the baking soda worked a little for ya' SB....another added note: when we itch intensely some of it comes from too much histamine, therefore the anti-histamine tabs work great....I only take 1/2 of whatever they recommend on the label....

Hello June...the days get hotter, the nights get longer....

I hate mosquitoes too. You're right about what they can do. I had the misfortune in my 40's to be bitten by one that gave me viral encephalitis, and that was undoubtedly the worst week of my life trying to recoup. You talk about a headache, that's the worst one ever- and the pain was moving around from place to place on my head. No eating, no relief, going in and out of consciousness with tylenol 3 (with codeine), not even water would stay down. The only thing I could do (actually my wife) was to take suppositories.

So I don't go anywhere outdoors without the repellent spray.
    There are ways to get rid of them, like some outdoor arenas that hold concerts in the summer. For example, in Cary, NC I've been to a few concerts to hear the Carolina Symphony at Koka Booth amphitheater, and there are NO mosquitoes, and its beside a lake. How they do it, I don't know, but they have these large tall towers that have something there that keeps them away.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Too dry where you are Falcon. They like standing water, damp, drippy forests, puddles, stagnant birdbaths, ponds etc.
    Like here in Houston town!! We have it all!! Throw in a Hurricane Harvey like last year and its party time for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PopsnTuff View Post
    So glad the baking soda worked a little for ya' SB....another added note: when we itch intensely some of it comes from too much histamine, therefore the anti-histamine tabs work great....I only take 1/2 of whatever they recommend on the label....
    Thanks, I've also been using Benedryl or Chlor-Trimeton anti-histamine pills.

Quote Originally Posted by exwisehe View Post
    I hate mosquitoes too. You're right about what they can do. I had the misfortune in my 40's to be bitten by one that gave me viral encephalitis, and that was undoubtedly the worst week of my life trying to recoup. You talk about a headache, that's the worst one ever- and the pain was moving around from place to place on my head. No eating, no relief, going in and out of consciousness with tylenol 3 (with codeine), not even water would stay down. The only thing I could do (actually my wife) was to take suppositories.

So I don't go anywhere outdoors without the repellent spray.
    There are ways to get rid of them, like some outdoor arenas that hold concerts in the summer. For example, in Cary, NC I've been to a few concerts to hear the Carolina Symphony at Koka Booth amphitheater, and there are NO mosquitoes, and its beside a lake. How they do it, I don't know, but they have these large tall towers that have something there that keeps them away.
    That sounds terrible Exwisehe, glad you made it through that okay. I can see why some of you guys use more replellent than I do, guess it all depends on where you live. Glad you could enjoy the concerts without being eaten alive.

Research Shows Coconut Oil is Better (and safer) Than Deet to Ward Off Mosquitoes

I will be trying this in the summer, mosquitoes love me, I'm always getting bit by something and scratching 'till I bleed. They hardly bother my husband at all. More HERE.

Last month, the United States Department of Agriculture’s Research Service posted a bulletin with a surprising headline: Coconut Oil Compounds Repel Insects Better than DEET. This announcement followed the results from a study by USDA researchers published in the journal Scientific Reports, stating that fatty acids derived from coconut oil had long-lasting repellency against certain insects—an even better effect than the most widely-used insect repellent in the world.

The research found that the coconut oil compound provided more than 90% repellency against mosquitoes, including the strain of mosquito responsible for transmitting the deadly Zika virus. It also out-lasted DEET against bed bugs and ticks, and by a wide margin. DEET was shown to work against these biting insects for around three days, whereas the natural fatty acids repelled ticks and bed bugs for a full fourteen days.

According to researchers, the coconut oil-derived compounds offered longer-lasting protection from these blood-feeding insects than any other known natural repellent. Eager to take economic advantage of their findings, ARS has filed a patent application for this new technology and is working to develop commercial repellent products derived from the isolated fatty acids.

Mosquitoes are just "children" compared to chiggers. https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/prevent-treat-chigger-bites#1
    Chigger bite is mosquito bite x 1000. Itching will be for several days. Spring/summer chiggers are really nasty pests in Texas.

Thankfully, no chiggers in Colorado.

I am highly allergic to mosquito bites. They swell up into hives. While in Australia, my mother-in-law gave me Avon's Skin So Soft to slather on my
    arms and legs .. I was skeptical, but I didn't get bitten at all, even though we'd spent several hours at an outdoor event. It feels a bit oily, so you will want to shower it off. If it worked for me, it will probably work for others.
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
    - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

Thanks Pinky! It's been decades since I used Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil, and I remember liking it very much. Interesting that it is a mosquito repellent, the coconut oil must have some relation....good to know, I'll take oily if it works.

Avon's Skin So Soft is a popular line with varying uses and fragrances. It is designed to soften the skin. Many have used the original scented body oil as a mosquito repellent, and now Avon has introduced a Skin So Soft bug spray line. The ingredients in the original Skin So Soft product are soothing and pleasantly scented.

Natural Ingredients

The original Skin So Soft has just a few ingredients, so the chances of allergic reaction are slim. The main ingredients listed are mineral oil, fragrance and carrot seed oil. This is the basis of the bath oil, with two oils as a base and the fragrance to impart a pleasant aroma.

If all else fails, try this....

For centuries, apple cider vinegar has been used as a natural remedy to treat many medical conditions, from infections to blood glucose problems.
    If you have an itchy bite, dab a drop of vinegar on it. The vinegar can help reduce stinging and burning sensations. It can also act as a natural disinfectant if you’ve been scratching too much.
    If you need more relief, try soaking a washcloth in cold water and vinegar, and then applying it to the bite. If you have many bites, dilute 2 cups of vinegar in a tepid bath and soak for 20 minutes. Beware, a hot bath may make itching worse.
    If skin irritation occurs, stop this treatment.

There are two ways of waking up in the morning. One is to say, "Good morning, God," and the other is to say, "Good God, morning!" ~ Fulton J. Sheen

Has anyone tried to have a bath in Epson Salts solution.

I don't know how it would work on mosquito bites but it sure is relaxing. It seems to soften the skin.

I bathe my feet in it as well.

The main ingredient is magnesium sulfate.

Excerpt:
    Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Epsom salt helps draw the moisture out of lesions caused by rashes, such as poison ivy, according to the doctors. And with bites or stings, Epsom salt reduces the swelling, which eases the itching sensation because the body's nerves fire less frequently, the doctors say.

Camper, we always have Epsom Salts on hand and will take baths now and then for relaxation and soothing muscles, I also throw some bubble bath in mine.

Old fashioned calamine lotion (or the new-fangled Caladryl, which has some benadryl in it) is the only thing that works for me for bug bite itching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.