Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Itching From Mosquito Bites, Keeping Me Up at Night

Itching From Mosquito Bites, Keeping Me Up at Night

A few days ago I sat in the back yard and played fetch with my dog, there wasn't much of a breeze and the mosquitoes were out...and they love me, don't bother my husband as much. I don't like to use bug dope, especially the ones with Deet, which are pretty much the ones that actually work.

So I sat there shooing them off my arms and smacking as many as I could, but usually they already bit me before I noticed them. Years ago I was bit on my left arm, and I think it was a spider when I was in the woods camping. My arm itched like crazy afterwards, was a bit red and the skin became hard. I never treated it, just put up with it, and eventually it was back to normal. But now, when I get a bug bite on that arm, it really triggers an itch response and I can't stop scratching.

A couple of nights ago, I laid in bed scratching, couldn't sleep. I got up and put some Aloe Vera gel on my arms, because that's all I had, and it helped but not enough. I also took a Benedryl, did not do a thing for the itching.

Soooo, I went to Walgreens and bought two creams, one was for pain and itch and contained 4% Lidocaine and one that contained 1% Hydrocortisone anti-itch. So far I've just used the Lidocaine one, Walgreen's brand....and it's helped a lot with a couple of applications for a couple of days.

The mosquitoes have also come into my house, so I was getting bit at night too. The mosquitoes haven't been really bad this year, but they can really make you miserable if you react to their bites.

Anyone here have problems with mosquitoes or other bug bites this year?

The mosquitoes haven't been to bad this year but we have gnats. They can be brutal especially when I start to sweat. They usually get me when I'm gardening. They are particularly fond of the ears,around the eyes, and hairline. Once they bite the area swells up like a balloon with an intense itch. Nothing much you can do but wait it out and apply the items you mentioned SeaBreeze. Oh the glory of summer. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth n Jersey View Post
    The mosquitoes haven't been to bad this year but we have gnats. They can be brutal especially when I start to sweat. They usually get me when I'm gardening. They are particularly fond of the ears,around the eyes, and hairline. Once they bite the area swells up like a balloon with an intense itch. Nothing much you can do but wait it out and apply the items you mentioned SeaBreeze. Oh the glory of summer. lol
    Don't forget the flies
    Late Aug into Sept they get a bit lethargic, just slow enough to get you to play their little game of 'whatcha hittin' yerself for, hmmm?'
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

I'm outdoors nearly everyday the weather permits, and this time of year I always get my fair share of bug bites, even when I use Deet. I keep a product called "Chiggerex"...from Walmart, on hand, and it does a good job on most bug bites. I also keep some "triple antibiotic" in the cabinet, in case the bite shows any signs of infection. Insofar as "itching" is concerned, the Best thing I've found is "Preparation H". Not only does that stuff work on the "private" parts, it also seems to numb the bug bites quite well if the Chiggerex doesn't work. A few weeks ago, a Deer Fly nailed me on the hand, and within a few minutes, the hand began to swell....I had to take a Benadryl pill to get over that one.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

The mosquitos in our area can carry all kinds of virus' and getting worse each year so we're fearful if we get bitten....I've already had many bites from them and the gnats....only benedryl tabs work in a cinch and baking soda dissolved in a paste and applied works the best for me.....and I definitely have to use Off spray....nothing else on the market works....tried em all....so I wash it off each day....
    last month I had a wasps sting me, ready for this, Six times on my belly.....and yes they can sting multiple times and not die.....it was soooo painful, swoll up with itching and burning....I could actually see the six little holes....never had this happen before and my belly was covered by a sun dress so it fly up my dress, that naughty little bugger!
    Hello Janury....bring us some light snow at least once a week....

I was hoping that with our very cold winter the mosquitoes would be less this year. Not a chance!
    We are always looking for any standing water like plants pots or anywhere they can breed. You'd be surprised the places water can collect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    Don't forget the flies
    Late Aug into Sept they get a bit lethargic, just slow enough to get you to play their little game of 'whatcha hittin' yerself for, hmmm?'
    I read this somewhere. I don't know if it works. When you swat them aim behind them because they jump backwards before take off.

If you want to sit and enjoy outdoors without being bothered by mosquitoes, then get one of those oscillating fans and put it behind you.

They hate wind.

People that itch from bites are slightly allergic to them.

There must be something you can eat or drink that will repel them. Maybe alcohol will make them drunk so you can swat them.

In Canada it's the blackflies that are the menace. They get on you and bite and you don't feel them until later. And then the itch starts and I am allergic to them. My forehead swells up.

The natural predators of mosquitoes are the dragonfly and bats.

Tea Tree oil,stop the itch.

Quote Originally Posted by kburra View Post
    Tea Tree oil,stop the itch.
    I`ve never tried Tea Tree Oil on them but going to next time.

Several years ago,a friend and I had dinner at a place with outside dining. They had several ponds out where the tables are and I ended up with over 60 bites on my legs. The following day I went to work in the "big city" where we kept an apartment while we worked there. I had the most intense itching all night-I thought I would lose my mind. I finaly got upat 4am and drove to Walgreens and bought one of each of everything for mosquito bites. One of them was in a little pen type applicator and smelled like ammonia. So I bought a bottle of household ammonia the next day and dabbed it on each bite and no more itch! I now carry a small spray in my purse all summer so I never have the problem again. I was feverish and felt awful when I had that many bites-obviously pretty allergic

West Nile disease is on the move. 2 cases in CT now, both seniors in the hospital.

For some reason or other we've never had a mosquito problem.

For many years we had a dairy farm across the road and we had a gazillion horse flies.

The dairy finally closed and now, NO more flies OR mosquitos !! YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post

For many years we had a dairy farm across the road and we had a gazillion horse flies.

Too dry where you are Falcon. They like standing water, damp, drippy forests, puddles, stagnant birdbaths, ponds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post

Out west there's no humidity Falcon, probably why they're not prevalent....
    Hello Janury....bring us some light snow at least once a week....

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    If you want to sit and enjoy outdoors without being bothered by mosquitoes, then get one of those oscillating fans and put it behind you.

They hate wind.

People that itch from bites are slightly allergic to them.

There must be something you can eat or drink that will repel them. Maybe alcohol will make them drunk so you can swat them.

In Canada it's the blackflies that are the menace. They get on you and bite and you don't feel them until later. And then the itch starts and I am allergic to them. My forehead swells up.

The natural predators of mosquitoes are the dragonfly and bats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.