Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Was your life defined by your job and now miss it after retirement?

Did work define my life. NO.

After a life of job changes beginning with qualified retail butcher at age 18, 1st. class jet engine mechanic in the US Navy, boring year with U S postal system, A P mechanic for small airline, sale associate for major lumber company, CDL licensed tractor trailer driver, handyman in a garage, journeyman truck & heavy equipment mechanic, 1st. line supervisor, 2nd. line supervision, 3rd. regional supervisor, Last retiring from the boring job as department head when the chance to retire at 54 was offered. A better deal in terms of financial than my planned retirement at 55.

Now spending a little time online typing responses to various threads to keep the grey matter tuned up is for fun.

I'm still working part time. I don't think my job defines me. However, I used to feel respected in my job. Now that I'm that "older" person, I feel like a lot of the younger co-workers just see me as some POS. I had too many other things define me in life. Not in a good way either.

I most certainly do NOT miss the job I retired from. It was an very stressful and toxic environment for the last 5 or so years I worked there. I DO, however, miss my work and, as someone said above, being "in the thick of it" and knowing I was doing something that mattered.

I didn’t ever ‘live to work’, always ‘worked to live’ and, although I don’t miss my job, I missed working so I now do voluntary work which is fulfilling, hours to suit me, no rules and more appreciation

I was a nurse in long term care for over 30 years. I always managed to keep work and my private life separate. When I was at work, I was fully at work. When I was at home, I didn't think about work. I developed other hobbies and interests which I love doing now because I have time to do them, especially reading. I really don't miss the long hours, being called in all the time, staying late because my relief didn't come in, all the never ending massive paperwork, having twenty bosses but not enough help to actually do the work. Nope, I like life now. I'm just me. Not nurse, not employee. Work is what I did to survive but I learned early on that "work" and "living" are two different things.

I was in education, have been retired 18 years this October & don't miss working at all. I do miss the friends I had there but that is about all. I do not miss the meetings, the politics, the stress, etc. Fortunately, I have many hobbies & love traveling.

Honestly, I have not stopped laughing since the day I cleaned out my office.

I enjoyed my corporate career... it helped give me the means to be me and to retire early at age 55.
    But my corporate job never did define who I am. God does.

I hated the regimentation.

Had to be there at a certain time and leave at a certain time. I could hardly wait for the weekend but then I couldn't sleep on Sunday nights because Monday morning was terrible.

Having to attend boring meetings is the worst especially those with charts.

Work is stressful.

Ha. No.

I didn't have a career; I had jobs. Never looked at anything I did as a career, merely a means to an end even when those jobs were lofty positions in Fortune 500 companies.
    Retired. Nowhere to go and plenty of time to get there.

Well, maybe I’m the first, but I do miss my job. I don’t know if it defined me, heck, I don’t even know what that means, but I do know that I looked forward to every time that I was scheduled to fly.

It was an unbelievable high. (No pun intended.) Sure, when I reached cruising altitude, there wasn’t a lot to do, but as a pilot, you had to stay alert and continue to monitor the gauges and be ready for any surprises that may occur.
    "SEMPER FI"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.