The Shallows

The Shallows

I bought my first home computer in 2000 and was immediately in love. I was hooked by the convenience and thrill of being able to research, communicate and exchange ideas globally 24/7 from the comfort of my home. At the same time I also suffered "culture shock." Long story, short... after 18 years, I have come to question my relationship with the internet.

Many years ago, I heard about a new book, a best seller at the time, called "The Shallows." Basically the book says the internet is not only changing what we think but also how we think [the physical process inside our brains.] It sounded interesting... and at the time, I intended to read that book, but never got around to it. Ironically, I was spending so much time on the internet, I forgot about the book.

Fast forward to today... my love affair with the internet has definitely waned. I am not communicating or interacting via the internet near as much as I once did because it became obvious to me that I have very little in common with most of the planet! Not only that... but now I have to make a choice about replacing my old computer [or IF I will replace it.] In the meantime, for the past two weeks my cable internet provider has been having issues and my internet has repeatedly gone down for hours [yesterday, my cable enabled TV, internet and phone were ALL down for hours and ironically the service provider's system problem happened only in my hometown.]

Here's the kicker... last Wednesday it was supposed to rain all day, so I had planned to stay home all day. But the weatherman was wrong and I found myself making an impromptu decision what to do that day. I decided to eat lunch at a restaurant in an area I seldom visit. After lunch, I walked over to a used book store. I hadn't been in that book store for many years because as my time on the internet had increased, my interest in books had waned. As I walked around the book store for awhile with no real direction, at the back of the store I noticed a "clearance" section with all sorts of different subject books mixed together in two giant floor to ceiling bookshelves. I spent a couple of minutes looking at some of the titles... then I noticed a book standing alone off to the side all by itself as if it wanted to be noticed. "The Shallows" $3. WOW!! The synchronicity of my finding that specific book at this pivotal time in my internet life was remarkable... and I believe it was meant to be. I am reading it now.

That book sounds very interesting KingsX. I'll see if my library has it. I had an experience as well. My daughter got me a Kindle a few years ago and hooked it up to our local library.She knows I love to read. Now I had all those books at my finger tips! I was enjoying it. A few days ago I went to the library to pick up a DVD for my hubby and ambled over to the books. Before I knew it I had an arm full. That evening I started to read one. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to actually hold a book and read it. I had forgotten. Needless to say I read until the wee hours of the morning and was enjoying every page.

I watched a real good movie not long ago titled, The Shallows.” However, it had nothing to do with computers. I used to think screen plays were adopted from books, but I was wrong, as usual. Just ask my wife.
    "Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m."

I've only read a few chapters... but so far the book is really interesting.

The author begins by relating the history of how philosophers and scientists first thought about the physical brain and how it affects our perception. At first it was believed brain function was rigid and never changed. Later scientists discovered brain function does change based upon use and need. He gives an example how the brain of the blind rewires itself to give extra support to the other remaining senses... hearing, smell, touch, etc. He gives another example how the physical brain will adjust if an arm or leg is amputated... the brain will rewire to sensors in another part of the body still in use.

The author relates how new technology changes history. He gives an example of the ancient Greeks when the adoption of a Greek alphabet eventually [and with much conflict] changed their culture from an oral history tradition to written history. He also mentions how the invention of clocks forever changed our perception of time. And how Gutenberg's movable-type printing press gave the common people access to books. He doesn't mention it in his book, but I know that Gutenberg's printing press helped foster the Protestant Reformation [Protestant reformers, Martin Luther and William Tyndale were both considered "criminals" at the time because they had translated the Bible into German and English so the common people could read it in their own native languages.] The author also mentions how the new technology of the industrial revolution caused a huge change in culture when people began moving more and more into towns and cities.

What the author is inferring... new computer/internet technology is causing another revolutionary change in culture and history... in our perception [and in our physical brains]... and this time around, it's happening globally.

He is also saying that when new technology is repeatedly used and replaces the old technology, the brain rewires itself to accommodate that change and brain function that used to reinforce old technology is retooled for the new technology. The brain is like a river that changes its course into new territory. Over time the old stream will dry up and wither away.

Sounds really interesting. Enjoy.
    Boomer Senior

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.