Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All over the board!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
    I am West of Dallas, 3 lakes within hour or two..A couple of months of heat beats snow!! The rest of the year is great for boating and fishing!!
    And I am betting that the "lake front" property for which the OP is searching is VERY pricey.

I have found a couple places that have my attention. 1 on Lake Murray
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...IGN0E0PRGtnKsB

and 1 in a 55;+ called Savannah Lakes
    https://www.savannahlakesrealty.com/...e-misty-cove/m

The Ozarks in Missouri have some low priced waterfront homes, banjo optional.

deliverance banjo-boy-e1296452279364.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post

The Ozarks in Missouri have some low priced waterfront homes, banjo optional.

My brother retired to the Arkansas Ozarks near where my parents had a farm and he graduated from college [U of A.]

Beaver Lake is in that area.

Btw... my brother retired there from Houston [career NASA scientist]... but he doesn't play the banjo.

I don't know about lakes anymore... they're buggy and mosquitoes can kill us now, not like years ago. They can be mucky and the fish tastes muddy.

Unless strict sewage controls are in place, lakes are easily polluted with deadly bacteria from surrounding homes and cabins.

I've vacationed at lakes a few times. Didn't like it. but of course, to each his own. Hope you find it BiXLL.

PS- also beware of snakes!

Hi BiXLL to the group. Glad you and that gorgeous wife joined the group.

Texas has a good economy, reasonable cost of living, and lots of lakes to choose from. Winters are mild, but summers can be brutal. Then again, you don't have to shovel heat. No state taxes here, either. If you worry about your wife's ability to make friends, join a church. She'll find plenty. Good luck!

Hello BiXLL....I'm new here too. Saw your post. Bella Vista, Arkansas and Eureka Springs, Arkansas are beautiful, the home prices are very reasonable, lots of lakes and I think the Arkansas taxes are good. https://www.bellavistaar.gov .

Wow! You remind me of the people on HGTV's Lakefront Bargain Hunt ! I don't think you're asking for too much at all. Just continue to research the areas you like and find a good realtor. Have you checked any of the home buying websites that allow you to filter out what's available according to your basic wish list (# of bed, baths, max budget, etc)? There's Zillow and Trulia which allows you to actually see the homes and lists the realtors to contact about them. The sites have maps that also allow you to see street views of many of the areas the homes are located in. I think you're smart to look for places where medical facilities are nearby; supermarkets, public transportation and even Uber or Lyft would also be a boon to have access to (just in case). Good luck in your search.

Also think about the future. 60 now will be 70 later and abilities will diminish. Don't buy a place with stairs or other difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
    Also think about the future. 60 now will be 70 later and abilities will diminish. Don't buy a place with stairs or other difficulties.
    Smartest reply here. I am in that position myself. I can't do most of the tasks home ownership demands anymore. I'm 82 and four years ago I COULD do what was required around here, now it's all paid help.
    We are either growing or dying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.