Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Using checks

I have 3 checking accounts. The main one is at a bank and i've had it for decades. I no longer have checks for that account; only use it for EFT (ACH) bill payments. The second one is at a credit union (CU) and I honestly forgot why I opened it up because I've had that for decades as well. The 3rd one is at TD Ameritrade which took over for Scottrade. They took it upon themselves to send me checks which connect to the money market fund after the transition. I put those in my SD box in the event I inadvertently run out of CU checks. I only use one check a month from the CU account, at most two if I give a monetary gift to someone.

The Europeans got rid of checks a long time ago. They would be scratching their heads if you consider paying with a check. Like us, most transactions are done with a credit card or their EC (debit card in the USA) card. Only Germany, of all advanced first world countries, still insist in cash with merchants. Other monetary transactions are done between banks electronically using their IBAN number. The amount of resources it takes to manage cash transactions without considering security, is horrendous. Maybe the government likes the idea that merchants can easily launder money to avoid paying their fair tax. However, I love Germany. When I am there twice a year, the ATMs get a workout. Unlike in the USA, I feel safe carrying large amount of cash in Germany. Yes, I still have a checking account, which is my clearing house. It is with the same credit union for over 33 years. There is no reasons to burden myself with more than one checking account. In the end, nobody cares.

I use one check a month to pay the rent.

The rest of the monthly bills are paid through the ATM machine at my credit union.

There are a lot of companies now switching to electronic methods to avoid theft.

Our laundry room cash machines were constantly being broken into which made the appliances useless.

Now you have to have one of their cards which you load and use it to access the wash and dry machines in the laundry room.

There was one couple who didn't have an account and when they complained, the manager said well then you will have to take your laundry to a cash machine somewhere else because the damage and the insurance is costing us too much.

I convinced them to open a small account at a credit union nearby.

Here in Canada now the government is insisting on electronic transfer to your bank account because of the problems with checks being stolen and accounts being accessed fraudulently. You apply for it when you file your tax return.

I like the electronic transfer method.

I don't want to use the computer however because my system is old now and I think it might be vulnerable.

I just don't trust that method anymore although I consider my self computer literate.

In some ways the Europeans are miles ahead of the North Americans. They consider us old fashioned and unwilling to change.

I hardly ever see a Canadian paying for groceries in the supermarket with a check, but when shopping in the U.S. I see that is quite common. It's kind of a pain having to wait for someone to fill out a check.

Mc Donalds, in Canada has refused to take checks. Cash, debit card, or credit card only.

I wrote two checks last year and one this year so far. I do everything electronically, including any checks that I receive. I just take a picture of the check and send the picture it to my bank using the app that I downloaded.
    "Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m."

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedDiva View Post
    I have 3 checking accounts. The main one is at a bank and i've had it for decades. I no longer have checks for that account; only use it for EFT (ACH) bill payments. The second one is at a credit union (CU) and I honestly forgot why I opened it up because I've had that for decades as well. The 3rd one is at TD Ameritrade which took over for Scottrade. They took it upon themselves to send me checks which connect to the money market fund after the transition. I put those in my SD box in the event I inadvertently run out of CU checks. I only use one check a month from the CU account, at most two if I give a monetary gift to someone.
    You need to consolidate or list the reasons why what you are doing is a good idea.

I almost never see a person writing a check in a store. A couple of stores I trade in will no longer accept checks because they have had so much check fraud -- both from NSF checks and counterfeit checks. I can't even remember the last time I wrote a check, but it's been several years.

except for gifts we are down to 1 or two checks a month

Still have a checking account, but use it maybe twice a year. Most bills are paid automatically online. Carry some cash for small purchases or use our bank card.
    "I intend to live forever, or die trying.

The only thing I don't like about automatic withdrawals is that if you have a dispute or have been charged unfairly, that you get charged and have to try to get it reversed.

Cable companies are notorious for this. I only pay what I have determined that I used.

Do all my banking online - write about 3 cheques a year. Also use my debt card or Visa.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.