Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Weight maintenance is so much harder than it used to be!

You’re all gonna hate me. Im 5’7” a bit less now cause I’m shrinking and weigh the same amount I did in high school. ( about 125 to 130 pounds) and I eat a lot but I’m super active. I walk our dogs about 3 or 4 kilometres everyday and usually do yoga every morning. Yoga really helps loosen up my muscles and eliminates any aches and pains I have from aging.

Then i work out at the gym a couple if times times a week where I usually jog 2 kilometres, bike 4 or 5 miles, do weight lifting and a floor without routine. I’m probably in better shape than I was in high school because I never worked out in high school.

Because I work out my metabolism is quicker and I don’t gain weight often except for at holidays, like Christmas & New Year.
    When I gain weight I just go on a low carb diet which has the same effect as Lara’s intermittent fasting and the reason it works is because you are controlling the sugar that’s in your blood. I wrote something about it in another thread. I’ll try and find it, cause it works.

Here it is

http://www.seniorforums.com/showthre...ng-Carbs/page5

Quote Originally Posted by Keesha View Post
    You’re all gonna hate me. Im 5’7” a bit less now cause I’m shrinking and weigh the same amount I did in high school. ( about 125 to 130 pounds) and I eat a lot but I’m super active. I walk our dogs about 3 or 4 kilometres everyday and usually do yoga every morning. Yoga really helps loosen up my muscles and eliminates any aches and pains I have from aging.

Then i work out at the gym a couple if times times a week where I usually jog 2 kilometres, bike 4 or 5 miles, do weight lifting and a floor without routine. I’m probably in better shape than I was in high school because I never worked out in high school.

Because I work out my metabolism is quicker and I don’t gain weight often except for at holidays, like Christmas & New Year.
    When I gain weight I just go on a low carb diet which has the same effect as Lara’s intermittent fasting and the reason it works is because you are controlling the sugar that’s in your blood. I wrote something about it in another thread. I’ll try and find it, cause it works.

Here it is

http://www.seniorforums.com/showthre...ng-Carbs/page5
    I'm 5'8 and 145 pounds, 10 pounds over my lifetime adult weight. I've always been slender, and never paid ANY attention to what I ate.... till I hit menopause and gained 40 pounds over 4 years Took me three years to find the right approach to food so that I could lose the extra. Finally started counting calories and that worked. I leveled out at 145, fluctuated between 145-148, and and I've been that way for the last 5 years.

First 3 years it was easy to maintain that, last 2 it's been harder and harder, to the point where I had to drop my calories so much that I realized it was bordering on unhealthy. I'd gotten to the point where my "fluctuation" had pretty much leveled out at 148, so I knew I had to do something, change something. So I turned to counting carbs instead. Low carbs for two weeks and once again I'm back to 145 stably. So that's my new way of eating. No longer counting calories....keeping a track of my carbs instead. Well, I do pay SOME attention to the calories, because I'm savvy enough to know that if I ate 3,000 calories a day, not matter if it was ALL carbs, that I'm going to gain. My body just won't support that many calories.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

I've been overweight since childhood. I try and lose weight, but since I am on predsione it's nearly impossible. I can't lift more than 10 pounds top. I can't do bending ect. due to spinal problems. But I could walk until last year. Was in a wheelchair for a while, due to a spinal injury, and finally I could walk again but not as much and not as far.

Now the arthritis has hit in my feet-really bad and painful. Walking is even more decreased. I doubt I'll ever really lose much more weight unless I get sick again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aneeda72 View Post
    I've been overweight since childhood. I try and lose weight, but since I am on predsione it's nearly impossible. I can't lift more than 10 pounds top. I can't do bending ect. due to spinal problems. But I could walk until last year. Was in a wheelchair for a while, due to a spinal injury, and finally I could walk again but not as much and not as far.

Now the arthritis has hit in my feet-really bad and painful. Walking is even more decreased. I doubt I'll ever really lose much more weight unless I get sick again.
    I get it about the arthritis. Thankfully mine's not too bad and though it hurts when I first start to move, continued movement helps the pain. Getting past that first little while till the pain eases off is the hardest part.

Ronni,

i wish that were the case, that the more I walked the better it felt, but it's not. Like a lot of people I have arthritis everywhere including my spine. I have two different types. I don't know which is in my foot. But it has settled between the two major bones (or sections) in the top of my foot-where the foot arches upwards.

Every step "pinches" and I get a sharp shooting pain that makes me cry out. Then it makes my whole foot hurt. I limp. Saw the foot doctor and nothing can be done. Can't take NASIDS for inflammation until my kidney blood tests show improvement. I do walk, but those 5 mile walks I used to take last year are a thing of the past.

i am 5 ft 5 and weigh 120---i dont need to loose i need to rearrange what i got--a roll here and a roll there

Quote Originally Posted by Aneeda72 View Post
    Ronni,

i wish that were the case, that the more I walked the better it felt, but it's not. Like a lot of people I have arthritis everywhere including my spine. I have two different types. I don't know which is in my foot. But it has settled between the two major bones (or sections) in the top of my foot-where the foot arches upwards.

Every step "pinches" and I get a sharp shooting pain that makes me cry out. Then it makes my whole foot hurt. I limp. Saw the foot doctor and nothing can be done. Can't take NASIDS for inflammation until my kidney blood tests show improvement. I do walk, but those 5 mile walks I used to take last year are a thing of the past.

Yeow! That sounds really painful Aneeda!

"......... and I eat a lot but I’m super active. I walk our dogs about 3 or 4 kilometres everyday and usually do yoga every morning. Yoga really helps loosen up my muscles and eliminates any aches and pains I have from aging. Then i work out at the gym a couple if times times a week where I usually jog 2 kilometres, bike 4 or 5 miles, do weight lifting and a floor without routine. I’m probably in better shape than I was in high school because I never worked out in high school. Because I work out my metabolism is quicker and I don’t gain weight often except for at holidays, like Christmas & New Year. When I gain weight I just go on a low carb diet which has the same effect as Lara’s intermittent fasting and the reason it works is because you are controlling the sugar that’s in your blood. I wrote something about it in another thread. I’ll try and find it, cause it works......".

Excellent. A study just came out the other day stating diet just doesn't do it. To keep weight off, you have to work out. That's why it's working for you.
    Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    When I went into the Air Force in 1970 I was 6 feet tall, 190 lbs and wore 34 pants.

Now I'm 5-11, 215 lbs, and wear 40's.

Life happens.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

I lived with the same problem, but much worse. I was already overweight at birth, a chubby kid, an obese teen, & by age 28, 405 lbs. (5'11"). After several useless doctor visits, I realized I was looking for help in the wrong place; most doctors know nothing about nutrition. After some research, I learned that it wasn't the amount of food that mattered, it was the type of food. Now, at 170 lbs, I eat more food than I did before; just not the same foods. 70% of what I eat is unprocessed food - lots of fruit & vegetables, nuts.

The problem with weight comes from processed carbohydrates - anything made with flour, sugar or other processed grain - bread, pasta, chips, and the obvious - cookies, etc. I have a sweet tooth & I still eat those, but limited to maybe once a week & in very small portions.

By the way, nuts DO NOT make you gain weight; I snack on them frequently. The fat in nuts does not cause weight gain, regardless of what you've been told by so-called experts. My doctors told me the same thing. It's not as simple as "Eating fat makes you fat." Eating processed foods causes your blood sugar to spike. Your body responds by secreting lots of insulin. Insulin is a fat-storage hormone. That's where weight gain comes from. My weight problem came from snacking on bread, chips, Oreos & Pepsi. Now, I snack on fruit, nuts, etc. & I can't gain weight if I tried.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by win231 View Post
    I lived with the same problem, but much worse. I was already overweight at birth, a chubby kid, an obese teen, & by age 28, 405 lbs. (5'11"). After several useless doctor visits, I realized I was looking for help in the wrong place; most doctors know nothing about nutrition. After some research, I learned that it wasn't the amount of food that mattered, it was the type of food. Now, at 170 lbs, I eat more food than I did before; just not the same foods. 70% of what I eat is unprocessed food - lots of fruit & vegetables, nuts.

The problem with weight comes from processed carbohydrates - anything made with flour, sugar or other processed grain - bread, pasta, chips, and the obvious - cookies, etc. I have a sweet tooth & I still eat those, but limited to maybe once a week & in very small portions.

By the way, nuts DO NOT make you gain weight; I snack on them frequently. The fat in nuts does not cause weight gain, regardless of what you've been told by so-called experts. My doctors told me the same thing. It's not as simple as "Eating fat makes you fat." Eating processed foods causes your blood sugar to spike. Your body responds by secreting lots of insulin. Insulin is a fat-storage hormone. That's where weight gain comes from. My weight problem came from snacking on bread, chips, Oreos & Pepsi. Now, I snack on fruit, nuts, etc. & I can't gain weight if I tried.
    Wow Dude! That's quite an inspirational story, going from 405 to 170! I'd love to hear more about that experience.

After I read that I decided to try to get rid of some of my belly fat. I've been on 2,000 calories a day for 8 days now and I'm down 5 lbs. from 215 to 210. But realistically I figure at least 1/2 of that was water weight. So from now on the honeymoon is over and I expect the weight loss rate to slow considerably. And then there's the way a body goes into survival mode when it starts to get less food and your metabolism becomes more efficient in order to get by on less calories. Yeah, I'm familiar with the drill.

Back in the day, my late teens early 20's I felt pretty good at 6 feet and 190 lbs. But now, at almost 72, I've shrunk and inch to 5-11 and I'm sure I don't have the same muscle mass either. So I figure 180 would be an ideal weight for me. But dayum, that's 30 more lbs and that's just too daunting a goal for me to consider right now. So at the moment I'm just looking to get down to an even 200.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

The myth of "starvation mode" has pretty much been debunked. From the Washington Post...

Metabolism will slow when you’re cutting calories. This is your body’s natural response to a significant change in your diet and your routine, but this doesn’t happen overnight. In fact, this slowing of your metabolic rate doesn’t even happen within the first six to eight months of extreme dieting, which is when most people find that they hit their first plateau and look toward starvation mode as a reason. It takes years and years of severe calorie restriction for your metabolism to completely offset a reduction in calories.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/health-fi...e-a-myth.html/

“The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.” -- Robert Heinlein

As one ages everything gets harder............well, most things!
    We are either growing or dying.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    As one ages everything gets harder............well, most things!

I am 5' 4" and weigh 152 lbs. The most I've ever weighed in my life except in my pregnancy. I absolutely HATE it. I attribute my weight to two things - still working at a damn desk job and menopause slowing down my metabolism. I joined the Real Appeal program through work. It is a free program through my medical insurance and they really hit the ball hard. They have a website that you track your food, exercise, goal weight, water, etc. They have half hour on-line sessions once a week that you check into and have a "coach" guide you through it. They give you scads of recipes and dvds with exercises. I started to lose weight on this program, but jeez, you are constantly immersed in tracking something. I just got to the point where I just said "enough".

One thing I think makes a big difference in my weight is if I drink alcohol. Even just a couple. I am going to cut out drinking entirely and see if that makes a difference. Also, I am going to try drinking plant-based protein shakes for lunch. Eat a nice, big healthy breakfast, a shake for lunch and a healthy reasonable dinner. I also want to start biking now that it is getting nice out. I have to increase my exercise. I bought an elliptical that I keep forgetting is downstairs. I have to start working on it, also.

We'll see how it goes. I've got to get this weight off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.