Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Weight maintenance is so much harder than it used to be!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I was slender (118ish) until my 20s, then I married and started to enjoy food and sweets a lot more, began to put on the pounds. When I was around 30, I quit smoking and gained an additional ten pounds which I never lost. I'm okay with that though, fair exchange for the health of my lungs and feeling so much better. Although I started to actively exercise and jog, the weight was a lot slower coming off than it was going on.

Since menopause, I find it even harder to lose weight, but I try and maintain and not go up any more sizes, etc. I used to do a lot of exercise videos at home, step at home and in classes, Jazzercise and Zumba. Liked to do it all, but there were other chores or things that needed attention too. Luckily I always had physical jobs at work, so that helped keep me strong and in fairly good shape. I did count calories for awhile, but too restrictive for me, I just like to go with what I want, no strict guidelines.

My husband can eat whatever he wants and never gains much weight, I'm not like that. But, we both love good food, french pasteries, ice cream, etc. so we haven't done without. I just try to limit my serving size when eating high calorie items. Never was much for junk or fast foods, so that's a plus.

I'm 5'4", and the highest I've ever weighed was 163, wasn't very happy at that weight. Currently I'm 154, but would rather be 148ish. Seems I go up and down ten pounds depending on the season, been that way for a long time. Now I just try to put the brakes on at around 158 and don't let it go any further. I do have some muscular strength, so I'm thinking some of my weight is attributed to heavy muscles.

I do a lot of walking, daily walks every day for a couple of miles and much longer hikes when I'm out camping in wooded areas. The walking does help a lot, to keep things at an even keel. I do have a gym membership and will start going more often in the fall and winter months. Right now I'm busy doing a lot of yard work, etc., as opposed to cardio.
    You are not overweight, you are just under tall!! J/K

ALONE NOW....TAKING IT DAY BY DAY!! RIP BABY...

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    You'll have a tough time losing weight with that calorie intake no matter what diet you're following.
    Well Jim, this morning my weight jumped back up to 210. So that ought to make your day.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    Well Jim, this morning my weight jumped back up to 210. So that ought to make your day.
    Weight issues suck at any time, but they REALLY SUCK when we get older, start losing muscle mass, metabolism slows down, and we get creaky and moving isn't as easy as it used to be! So even a small amount of food packs on unwanted weight. We no longer have the strength, agility, speed or health to go all-out with exercise!

Old age. The gift that keeps on giving. And yeah, I know it's better than the alternative, but still, it's annoying.

I feel for ya Trade. I'm fighting the same battle myself!!!
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

Not at all. I know how hard it is to lose or maintain body weight and I hate to see someone spinning their wheels without getting anywhere, believe me I've been there.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    Not at all. I know how hard it is to lose or maintain body weight and I hate to see someone spinning their wheels without getting anywhere, believe me I've been there.
    Well Jim, my main problem is I don't like being hungry.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

I weigh what I did in high school, have since then. 152-156 lbs. 5'9.5", these days, down from 5'10". Working in the trees is the only exercise I need. I swim at the Y, when it gets hot outside. The pool is indoors. My vegan diet helps me maintain my weight, I'm sure.

Well Jim, my main problem is I don't like being hungry.
    I don't like being hungry either, but fact is most days I am at some point. I find drinking a bottle of water when I get the hunger pains helps, but if it doesn't usually a small pack of nuts 100-150cals does the trick. It's either that or buy a closet full of sweatpants and invest in one of those Larks you were talking about earlier.

Not sure if these Orchard Valley Harvest snack packs are available where you live, but I find them very satisfying when hunger hits. My favorite is the Chocolate Raisin Nut Trail Mix @ 150cals per 1oz bag. You can also buy them on Amazon. https://orchardvalleyharvest.com/products

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy64 View Post
    I weigh what I did in high school, have since then. 152-156 lbs. 5'9.5", these days, down from 5'10". Working in the trees is the only exercise I need. I swim at the Y, when it gets hot outside. The pool is indoors. My vegan diet helps me maintain my weight, I'm sure.
    You are the same size as my husband; he has been wearing the same size jeans for over 30 years. He is an active carnivore.

“The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.” -- Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    You are the same size as my husband; he has been wearing the same size jeans for over 30 years. He is an active carnivore.
    Ron has been in the same size pants (32W/34L) since his 20’s. For years he ate junk and drank at minimum a 6 pack a day, plus often hard liquor....jack and coke was his fave...well, still is lol.

But it in the last 15 years he’s changed his diet a lot. Very little junk food or sugar. Lots of veggies, not a lot of gluten, drinks almond milk, very little red meat, lots of chicken and tofu. He pays absolutely no attention to calories, or quantity. Eats till he’s comfortably full. Doesn’t snack. Still drinks but moderately now, often just a glass or two of wine on the w/e. His job is very physical though in his construction business ... remodels and renovations. He doesn’t exercise, lifts weights sporadically. Just had his yearly checkup and everything is in normal ranges.

I think he just has a seriously efficient metabolism. I refer to him as my personal furnace because he throws off so much heat!! His metabolism seems always to be burning hot and high.

I think he just has a seriously efficient metabolism. I refer to him as my personal furnace because he throws off so much heat!! His metabolism seems always to be burning hot and high.
    So Ronni, you're telling us he's hot? We knew that already.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    So Ronni, you're telling us he's hot? We knew that already.
    Oh HELL yeah my man is SO HOT!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.