Weight maintenance is so much harder than it used to be!

Weight maintenance is so much harder than it used to be!

All my life I've been slender, never had to worry about what I ate, gained under 25 pounds each pregnancy (5 kids) which I quickly shed, and had no weight issues at all, just fluctuated between 130 and 135. I'm 5' 8 1/2 so that was a good weight for me. Don't hate me for all that, because it didn't last....menopause hit OMG!!!

I was close to 15 pounds heavier before it really hit home that this wasn't just my normal fluctuation. Another 15 pounds before I realized that focusing on losing the weight wasn't going to cut it, I first of all needed to just stop the gain!!! Another 10 pounds before I ended up tipping the scale at 175 pounds before I managed to even stop gaining! At least it was evenly distributed so I didn't look quite as heavy as I was.

Tried every current diet out there to lose the weight, to no avail. Lose a bit, gain it back. Finally, after doing much research about what was happening to my body, I finally realized that I had to evolve a "diet" <way of eating> that I could maintain for the rest of my life, because I wasn't ever again going to be able to be eat the way I used to, and I needed to figure out a way to eat that I could actually sustain for the rest of my life, once the weight was gone, and that would facilitate a slow and steady loss rather than the dramatic plummet I was originally going for.

With much chagrin because it was the very LAST thing I wanted to do and the thing I had avoided up till this point, I started counting calories. Ugh. I found an app (My fitness Pal) that made that chore less onerous. This was back in 2014. For the next year I slowly lost the weight, averaging 2 - 3 pounds a month, going from that original 175 pounds to a much more comfortable 145 pounds....still 10 pounds more than I'd averaged for so many years, but my body just kinda leveled out at that point, the weight loss stopped, my joints stopped hurting, I could move easily and quickly again, and I realized that unless I wanted to cut calories more drastically (and I didn't) this was now maintenance for me.

I've maintained that general weight since. I fluctuate some (143 - 147) but it stays in that general range. Or rather, it WAS staying in that range. I've noticed this last 6 months that it's gotten harder to maintain it. I'm eating the same, maintaining the same level of physical activity, but I'm struggling more and more with staying under 147. It's very frustrating.

My question to all is how have you maintained an acceptable weight? Are you walking, going to the gym, lifting, doing Pilates, what? I have to change something because what has worked for me this last 4 years is no longer as effective.

What's worked for you?

Just smaller meals in general. I just can't eat as much as I used to.

I exercise daily and never miss, snow, sleet, rain, shine do not deter me.

I lost weight due to some stomach issues. Had a heck of a time putting it back.

I was slender (118ish) until my 20s, then I married and started to enjoy food and sweets a lot more, began to put on the pounds. When I was around 30, I quit smoking and gained an additional ten pounds which I never lost. I'm okay with that though, fair exchange for the health of my lungs and feeling so much better. Although I started to actively exercise and jog, the weight was a lot slower coming off than it was going on.

Since menopause, I find it even harder to lose weight, but I try and maintain and not go up any more sizes, etc. I used to do a lot of exercise videos at home, step at home and in classes, Jazzercise and Zumba. Liked to do it all, but there were other chores or things that needed attention too. Luckily I always had physical jobs at work, so that helped keep me strong and in fairly good shape. I did count calories for awhile, but too restrictive for me, I just like to go with what I want, no strict guidelines.

My husband can eat whatever he wants and never gains much weight, I'm not like that. But, we both love good food, french pasteries, ice cream, etc. so we haven't done without. I just try to limit my serving size when eating high calorie items. Never was much for junk or fast foods, so that's a plus.

I'm 5'4", and the highest I've ever weighed was 163, wasn't very happy at that weight. Currently I'm 154, but would rather be 148ish. Seems I go up and down ten pounds depending on the season, been that way for a long time. Now I just try to put the brakes on at around 158 and don't let it go any further. I do have some muscular strength, so I'm thinking some of my weight is attributed to heavy muscles.

I do a lot of walking, daily walks every day for a couple of miles and much longer hikes when I'm out camping in wooded areas. The walking does help a lot, to keep things at an even keel. I do have a gym membership and will start going more often in the fall and winter months. Right now I'm busy doing a lot of yard work, etc., as opposed to cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I was slender (118ish) until my 20s, then I married and started to enjoy food and sweets a lot more, began to put on the pounds. When I was around 30, I quit smoking and gained an additional ten pounds which I never lost. I'm okay with that though, fair exchange for the health of my lungs and feeling so much better. Although I started to actively exercise and jog, the weight was a lot slower coming off than it was going on.
    i think this is the reason I haven't lost that last 10 pounds...the smoking thing. I smoked off and on all my adult life, but around the time I hit menopause I quit again, hopefully for good this time!! Smoking certainly changes your metabolism! There isn't one person I know, young or old, who's quit smoking and hasn't gained weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni View Post
    I smoked off and on all my adult life, but around the time I hit menopause I quit again, hopefully for good this time!! Smoking certainly changes your metabolism! There isn't one person I know, young or old, who's quit smoking and hasn't gained weight!
    I quit a bunch of times before I finally quit for good, good luck, glad you're working on it. I don't know anyone either who quit smoking and didn't gain weight, some people even start again because of it.

The past couple of days, I've been researching something healthy I can maintain...I think I've found it! It's called...

"8 Hour Intermittent Fast" (aka 8 hour Diet)...It's not new (2003). It's healthy and easy and not all that crazy. You can maintain your healthy weight doing it 3 days a week or, you can lose a pound a day doing it every day (or 5 days whatever you choose) in a healthy way.

Basically, for 3-7 days (depending on your goal), you choose an 8 hour period of time for eating 3 MINDFUL meals a day (low-carb, low sugar, low salt, no processed foods, portion control, etc). The other 16 hours (fast) you fill with sleep, exercise, water, tea, black coffee, and 0-calorie drinks. You must separate your meals by 3 hours.

Most people choose 11am-7pm. But others need breakfast at 8 am so they'll choose 8-4pm. but you may not lose the weight as fast because you're not as active in the early morning.

It's best to exercise after the 16 hour fast and before your first meal because your tummy is empty so there's nothing left to burn off except fat...YAY!

For me personally, I have modified this be a detoxing raw juice for my morning meal. I just started yesterday and lost 1 lb.

In the past, I've been raw juicing exclusively for health maintenance and is also good for weightloss if you juice certain produce items BUT it's drastic and thus, to hard to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I quit a bunch of times before I finally quit for good, good luck, glad you're working on it. I don't know anyone either who quit smoking and didn't gain weight, some people even start again because of it.
    A friend did just that. Started back smoking, lost every pound he gained...took just over a year. He said he'd rather roll the dice with smoking issues, than be so heavy that he cannot move, and no desire to .

He does not smoke as heavy as he once did & since he dropped the weight , he is back to golf , camping, etc.

He is now in his early 70's , last I heard he moved to Fla, no health issues. He's a good guy, I hope it all holds as is for him.

For me, the key to maintaining is to weigh myself every single day. If I'm up a pound or two, I eat light. Most people's weight fluctuates daily but it's easy to not let things get out of hand if you pay attention.

My biggest annoyance in getting older is that no matter how thin I am, my waist seems to have disappeared. Ugh.

"It isnít pollution thatís harming the environment. Itís the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
    " -- Dan Quayle

Ironically (or not) I came down to my ideal weight and I've been able to maintain it AFTER I retired. Working places are petri dishes for weight gain. In my case, visitors would bring goodies from their respective islands consisting of boxes of malasadas (soft round doughnuts stuffed with haupia (coconut pudding); manapuas (big soft baked rolls stuffed with meats, such as char siu pork, or cooked vegetables; Krispy Kreme doughnuts; macadamia shortbread cookies; etc.

Didn't any of you have that kind of problem in your working places?
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Ironically (or not) I came down to my ideal weight and I've been able to maintain it AFTER I retired. Working places are petri dishes for weight gain. In my case, visitors would bring goodies from their respective islands consisting of boxes of malasadas (soft round doughnuts stuffed with haupia (coconut pudding); manapuas (big soft baked rolls stuffed with meats, such as char siu pork, or cooked vegetables; Krispy Kreme doughnuts; macadamia shortbread cookies; etc.

I also find it much easier to maintain my weight when I'm not surrounded by office goodies. Or home goodies, for that matter. When I've got out of town company I nearly always gain a couple of pounds but shed it after they leave.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post

I wish! Not really because I would not be able to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    For me, the key to maintaining is to weigh myself every single day. If I'm up a pound or two, I eat light. Most people's weight fluctuates daily but it's easy to not let things get out of hand if you pay attention.

My biggest annoyance in getting older is that no matter how thin I am, my waist seems to have disappeared. Ugh.
    I agree with all of this including the disappearing waist. I try to stay on top of it but I've come to the realization our bodies change after menopause.

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    I completely agree. It's one of my major strategies for keeping my weight under control. Sometimes I weigh every day, sometimes every several days, depending. But I never go more than a week. If there is a gain, I know from experience that getting it under control when it's a gain of under 5 pounds is so much easier for me to confront, manage and do something about than when it's more than that.

Oh my gosh SO THIS!!!!! It infuriates me that even though I'm still fluctuating within that 5 pound range (it's harder for me to maintain than it used to be) there are clothes I've been wearing for three or four seasons that inexplicably no longer fit like they did before. The waist is harder to button, zipper harder to run up, the arms are tighter, I fill out the thigh area of the pants more...I could go on.

And it's not because I've gained weight!!!! That's what's so infuriating. My body just keeps changing shape! It seems to be redistributing the weight it has to different areas! Damn that's annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni View Post
    i think this is the reason I haven't lost that last 10 pounds...the smoking thing. I smoked off and on all my adult life, but around the time I hit menopause I quit again, hopefully for good this time!! Smoking certainly changes your metabolism! There isn't one person I know, young or old, who's quit smoking and hasn't gained weight!
    Congratulations! Not smoking is always the better option. With weight loss sometimes it just comes down to what works for you individually.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.