Does anybody subscribe to AcornTV or Britbox?

Does anybody subscribe to AcornTV or Britbox?

I have AcornTV, but there's that FOMO thing...is Britbox better? I really like A Place to Call Home, anything Agatha Christie, Doc Marten. Can I get any of those on Britbox?
    Retired. Nowhere to go and plenty of time to get there.

I only had Acorn. For awhile I liked it and then it had Doc Martin. But after awhile I got tired of the endless mysteries, so I dropped it. I never tried Britbox.

I agree about too many mysteries. Agatha Christie, yes, but there are a gazillion others that are mostly a bore. It seems that Doc Marten is done, and I've seen all the episodes. Ditto Hercule Poirot.

I've considered Britbox but not sure if subscribing is worthwhile. On many of the newer shows, the accent is so strong that I miss too much of what is said and very few have closed caption (dialog in print). I love the scenery on the Shetland series but strong accents makes dialog difficult to understand

I subscribe to both, and love both of them -- both of them together are cheaper than Netflix. I LOVE the programming (I'm also a fan of mysteries, BTW). I'm seriously considering getting rid of Netflix because there isn't much on there anymore I care to watch.

How does the subscription work? Obviously you need internet access, yes? (No offense meant but I see it as odd that that fact is seldom mentioned.) And on what kind of a display? Cellphone? Laptop via cable or WiFi? "Smart" (guotes are on purpose ) TV?

I can see lots of possibilities - I'd particularly like to get better Formula1 coverage, but have hesitated to dive in without some fore-knowledge.

Chucktin...your questions are "technical" so I don't have the answers except that I cut the cable cord long ago. I have a Roku device. Does this mean whatever I get is via internet? My son-in-law sets this stuff up for me because it's way beyond my ken.

Sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot. And yes, Roku needs internet access.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktin View Post
    How does the subscription work? Obviously you need internet access, yes? (No offense meant but I see it as odd that that fact is seldom mentioned.) And on what kind of a display? Cellphone? Laptop via cable or WiFi? "Smart" (guotes are on purpose ) TV?

I can see lots of possibilities - I'd particularly like to get better Formula1 coverage, but have hesitated to dive in without some fore-knowledge.
    Yes, it's an Internet streaming service like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, YouTube, and many, many others. Many channels are free.
    I don't know anything about Formula1.

You need either a smart TV or a Roku device that is able to be plugged into the back of the TV and then set up passwords, etc.

Wa-a-a-y too much boob tube now days.

I did give up Netflix in favor of Amazon. I hardly ever watched it after a while. But they did have a section for British shows.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.