It's flu season..........

It's flu season..........

And I just saw a commercial for a "senior flu shot" reportedly a 'stronger' dose, designed for seniors' Anyone else seen this?..Is this just another attempt at getting in "our" pockets in particular?

A little scare tactic perhaps ?

Usually Medicare pays 100% .

I think it's about four times stronger than a regular flu vaccine because over 65 and children make fewer antibodies than the rest of the population so I will take the stronger dose when offered. I haven't had the flu for a lot of years, I don't want it either. The only vaccine I've found so far that medicare hasn't paid for is for shingles.

I'll get one in November when I visit my PCP, my insurance company covers the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I'll get one in November when I visit my PCP, my insurance company covers the cost.
    Me too!!

I have NOT had a flu shot in probably 30 yrs. Keep my system strong with my antioxidants and keep Oscillo (homeopathic) handy for that just in case I feel it coming on. You probably see by now pharma doesn't make it's huge profits from me.

I had a bad Asian flu when I was 18 and now 80 and doing good, no vaccines.
    Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-31-2018 at 11:23 AM.

I've religiously gotten the flu shot (and the stronger one since it has been offered), since having a case of the real flu about fifteen years ago. I've never been so sick in my life and hope to never be that sick again. I was seriously afraid I was going to die. Thus ended my utterly mistaken belief that the flu shot was not necessary.

IMO, not getting the flu vaccine is a risk not worth taking.

I’ve never gotten the flu shot nor will I ever as long as I’m in charge of this body.
    Rarely do I get colds or the flu

I always get a flu shot and will continue to do so.

Up till year before last I'd always had the "regular dose" and I didn't have any problems but in 2016 I had them give me the more potent "senior dose" and it made me develop really miserable flu like symptoms for three or four days so last year I went back to the "regular dose" and I didn't have any problems.

I've gotten the high dose flu shot the last few years. I've never had bad effects from any flu vaccine. It's supposed to be the dead virus you're getting which nevertheless has the body develop antibodies against the live virus. Some people do get bad reactions from other products in the vaccine.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

Even many private insurance co's waive the deductible and copays for the shot.

I never get a flu shot either, and very seldom ever get sick. I think that my immune system works good, and I do my best to take care of my health and keep my body strong.
    I think that people who have weak immune systems know that they need a shot to help them out, and those of us with strong immune systems do not need the shot.
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

How do they know?

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    How do they know?
    I am assuming that they know that they need the shot because they get sick sometimes. If I came down with every flu bug that came around, then I would think I needed a vaccination.
    Since I almost never get sick, I think that I don’t need a vaccination, and so far, that has worked for me.
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    I am assuming that they know that they need the shot because they get sick sometimes. If I came down with every flu bug that came around, then I would think I needed a vaccination.
    Since I almost never get sick, I think that I don’t need a vaccination, and so far, that has worked for me.
    Thanks, that makes sense. I get one every year anyway, although I seldom get sick. It's free and makes me feel safe.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.